Gamestop Pre-Order Bonuses

Hello, I have already pre ordered the PC version of Alpha Protocol at Gamestop. But I noticed something today while I was on their website. Apparently only the people who pre order the console versions get the bonus items. What's up with that? There should be no reason at all why the PC gamers who pre order can't get the bonus.

Thank you for any answers.

Maybe they've figured out that in-game pre-order bonuses don't entice many purchases from PC gamers, since they inevitably show up on the web within a couple days of release?

Maybe they've figured out that in-game pre-order bonuses don't entice many purchases from PC gamers, since they inevitably show up on the web within a couple days of release?

I really doubt that Obsidian would make the assumption of "All PC Gamers pirate" especially considering that many, if not most of them started out on the PC. All of the versions are essentially the same. Same engine, same story. The only difference would be graphics and controls. That's no reason not to include some bonus items.

I was assuming this would be Gamespot's call to make, rather than Obsidian's. And Gamespot presumably has plenty of data from past sales and can analyze how they are influenced by pre-order exclusives. If they found that offering pre-order exclusives on PC titles didn't get them enough of a sales bump to justify the cost, they wouldn't do it.

Edited by Enoch

WAit, you're saying the pre-order bonus awesomness is for console version only?

Well, that would totally suck. Maybe I'll stop by tomorrow and check in on that. My PC version pre-order shouldn't count for anything less than the XBOX version.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I really doubt that Obsidian would make the assumption of "All PC Gamers pirate" especially considering that many, if not most of them started out on the PC. All of the versions are essentially the same. Same engine, same story. The only difference would be graphics and controls. That's no reason not to include some bonus items.

I somehow just can't bring myself to consider downloading the Bonus Content as violating copyright, but I guess I can see how it technically would be. It won't stop me though downloading it, though.

Anyway, that doesn't justify it being omitted from the PC CE. In fact that would be ridiculous. I'll still buy a CE if I can, though.

I was assuming this would be Gamespot's call to make, rather than Obsidian's. And Gamespot presumably has plenty of data from past sales and can analyze how they are influenced by pre-order exclusives. If they found that offering pre-order exclusives on PC titles didn't get them enough of a sales bump to justify the cost, they wouldn't do it.

Unfortunately, it appears that way. :p

Notice how there is no Bonus for the PC version.

post-25813-1246592187_thumb.jpg

Since the special bonus is most likely just an unlockable code, most PC gamers would probably just wait for the inevitable crack rather than pre-order.

And honestly, the percentage of PC gamers who don't pirate is most likely in the teens.

Since the special bonus is most likely just an unlockable code, most PC gamers would probably just wait for the inevitable crack rather than pre-order.

And honestly, the percentage of PC gamers who don't pirate is most likely in the teens.

I shouldn't have to go to a piracy site to get the service that should have been provided to me by the developer/publisher. And please take your inflated stereotypes elsewhere, it's immature and just shows your ignorance.

Edited by gnrfan228

Well the game is 10 bucks cheaper. Personally rather it 10 bucks cheaper than have the bonus stuff, which I'm going to guess is going to be overpowered anyways.

Ya I know the two things aren't technically related but anyways.

Edited by kreese12

the people who play pc and pirate are more than likely in their teens.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

According to this post in this thread the codes are unique:

Online / In-Store Pickup Customers: A unique code and download instructions will be emailed beginning 10/2/09.

I don't think I can discuss specifics, but the sentiment here is that it would suck for PC players to be locked off from content. So we'll see what we can do.

Matthew Rorie

According to this post in this thread the codes are unique:

Online / In-Store Pickup Customers: A unique code and download instructions will be emailed beginning 10/2/09.

I don't think I can discuss specifics, but the sentiment here is that it would suck for PC players to be locked off from content. So we'll see what we can do.

Thank you very much Mr. Rorie, I appreciate the kind response and understanding. :p

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As the PR guy and a self-proclaimed PC gamer, I'm sure Mr. Rorie will be updating the thread as soon as an update is available.

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

As the PR guy and a self-proclaimed PC gamer, I'm sure Mr. Rorie will be updating the thread as soon as an update is available.

It's quite possible that he just forgot. I'm positive he has a LOT of things on his plate that he has to take care of considering the game is getting quite near to the release date. That's why I waited 2 weeks to bump the thread.

;)

I hate to be a nag, but it's been two weeks since my last bump. Anything yet?

Yes.

Sarcasm is always appreciated.

Edited by gnrfan228

• 3 weeks later...