Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8561 posts
http://www.betanews....-RTM/1249687071

Sigh.

taks

taks

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2024 posts
you should read the comments... there are some that are not only relevant, but quite accurate. all hope is not lost.

taks

Fionavar

Fionavar

Community Manager

• Global Moderators
  • 12681 posts
Anyone have an opinion about 32/64 bit migration with 7?

taks

taks

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2024 posts
certainly a relevant question since 64-bit is ultimately the way to go. will it be a pain in the beginning, or is 7 expected to be better with 64-bit out of the gate? i still haven't tried to install my beta. oh well. :thumbsup:

taks

Wrath of Dagon

Wrath of Dagon

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2157 posts
Might as well go for 64 bit, not that it'll do any good as all developers will be limited by having to support 32 bit for years to come.

taks

taks

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2024 posts
that's the rub, ain't it? sigh... the switch to 32-bit seemed relatively painless. so painless, in fact, that i scarfed win32 up as soon as it came out and never had a problem. of course, the permeation of the home computer, nay, computers in general, into our lives was not nearly as great in the early 90s as now.

taks

Wrath of Dagon

Wrath of Dagon

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2157 posts
If Vista was a success, and came in 64 bit only, it wouldn't be an issue right now.

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8561 posts
Another review of Windows 7:

http://www.engadget....ndows-7-review/

This one's pretty positive, but AGAIN, it seems as if all they ever do is sit around in the OS itself and only open generic windows (not applications) and has a hassle finding the right one after a while. This is where Windows 7 seems to shine. Not a word on speed, how much resources it takes, how it handles more specialized applications (yes, it runs Word.. great..). I work with Samplitude and drivers that haven't been updated since Windows 2000 was brand new. Works perfectly under XP Pro, returns a blue screen of death under Vista. How about Windows 7?

And of course, gaming. I can play Daggerfall under XP. Vista can't even start the installer. How about Windows 7? I get 40-60 fps in STALKER: Clear Sky under XP and 20-30 fps in the same game, same settings under Vista (with constant chugging of the harddrive). How about Windows 7?

Fionavar

Fionavar

Community Manager

• Global Moderators
  • 12681 posts
Okay ... so I may be dense ... has anyone tested & under a 64 environment and still been able to game/operate 'normally?'

taks

taks

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2024 posts
not me... soon, maybe. it's not like i have any NEW games to play these days anyway and i rarely do anything other than open a word or pdf file or browse the web. /grumble

taks

Wrath of Dagon

Wrath of Dagon

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2157 posts

Okay ... so I may be dense ... has anyone tested & under a 64 environment and still been able to game/operate 'normally?'

I can run all my games under W7/64, some of them did crash as they did under Vista, but I think it's because my graphics card is overheating. Edit: A lot of the older game compatibility will depend on whether the graphics driver works with the game, rather than W7 itself.

Edited by Wrath of Dagon, 14 August 2009 - 06:34 AM.

Moose

Moose

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 883 posts

I don't know if you have seen the special limited offer that Microsoft is making: you can now buy Windows 7 at half price. The question is whether we need to upgrade our OS or not. I am pretty happy with XP and it works fine with all of my games. Do I run the risk of encountering problems with my games if I install the new version of windows? Is it worth the risk of purchasing it?

It's far less of an issue than it was upgrading from win9x to XP.

Edited by Moose, 14 August 2009 - 11:25 AM.

CoM_Solaufein

CoM_Solaufein

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 5116 posts
  • Steam:apocalypse_2000

I've been playing Fallout3 and Oblivion with it and haven't had any problems.

Bokishi

Bokishi

Graphics Lord

• Members
  • 6451 posts

Umm yeah everything works fast, and games like crysis are faster in 64 bit. If your processor supports 64 bit (like all of them do now) then you really should have no fear making the switch

Morgoth

Morgoth

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 10099 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I've preordered my Win7 copy, and it seems it comes both with 32 bit and 64 bit version. However, I'm not sure whether I should install the 64 bit version...

Stupid question: Does a Intel Core2Quad Q6600 support/take advantage of 64 bit?

taks

taks

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2024 posts
yes. intel hasn't released a 32-bit processor since the pentium 4 chips in 2000.

taks

Edited by taks, 18 August 2009 - 06:39 AM.

Deadly_Nightshade

Deadly_Nightshade

Vampire

• Members
  • 5133 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

yes. intel hasn't released a 32-bit processor since the pentium 4 chips in 2000.

taks

And even some of those, if I am not mistaken, were 64-bit. :ermm:

Morgoth

Morgoth

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 10099 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Too bad so many games still crap out with Win64. Guess I'll stick with 32bit unless there's proof of a real advantage for games.

taks

taks

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2024 posts

And even some of those, if I am not mistaken, were 64-bit. :(

yes, after 2004 with the prescott core, which was the first of their standard line to use the x86-64 instruction set (the itanium was 64-bit after 2001 i believe.) amd had its version out a year prior with the opteron.

here's a list.

^morgoth: are games really having issues, or is it just older games? i wonder if the issues occur under proper compatibility mode settings or not?

taks

Edited by taks, 18 August 2009 - 10:23 AM.

Gorth

Gorth

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 10654 posts
The only game so far that has given me issues on 64 bit is Master of Orion 2. The installer doesn't run. I tried running it on VirtualPC, but the tiny screen resolution makes it appear not much larger than a desktop icon :)

The remaining issues have had more to do with gfx and various acceleration "features" that needs to be disabled when running them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users