Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

Rostere

Rostere

Illuminatus of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1084 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
If I don't confuse things, it has 3D support, although it only emulates the S3 Savage or something like that.

Deadly_Nightshade

Deadly_Nightshade

Vampire

• Members
  • 5133 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

If I don't confuse things, it has 3D support, although it only emulates the S3 Savage or something like that.

Jaesun

Jaesun

Fabulous Paladin of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1979 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

ok thank you. I would "hope" thats enough support to play some older 3D titles?

Deadly_Nightshade

Deadly_Nightshade

Vampire

• Members
  • 5133 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Well, I tried it some and it seems to be a mixed bag - some older games like it and some do not. However, I belive the final one will be even more powerful so I would hope that all titles would work after that. :p

Jaesun

Jaesun

• Members
  • 1979 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Well, I tried it some and it seems to be a mixed bag - some older games like it and some do not. However, I belive the final one will be even more powerful so I would hope that all titles would work after that. :sorcerer:

Allrighty, I guess I'll keep my fingers crossed. By chance, do you happen to have Grim Fandango? I know it worked flawlessly in the XP version of Virtual PC (Using software rendering). I'm curious if you can now finally actually use the hardware rending for that?

Deadly_Nightshade

Deadly_Nightshade

Vampire

• Members
  • 5133 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Grim Fandango seems to run fine for all of those who have tried it on Windows 7. :)

Jaesun

Jaesun

• Members
  • 1979 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Grim Fandango seems to run fine for all of those who have tried it on Windows 7. :)

Yea with Virtual PC for XP, it was the ONLY stable format I could run the game in. Now if only it could be in 3D... but oh well.

JUST being able to play it in a stable environment was awesome. <3

Edited by Jaesun, 27 July 2009 - 06:02 PM.

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8547 posts
Review of Windows 7 on CNet: http://reviews.cnet....l?tag=mncol;txt

Microsoft has created several theme packages to give people a taste for what the feature can do. Click on one to download it, and it instantly changes the color scheme and background--no need to reboot.

Wow. You can change your background without having to reboot. Fantastic.

Unfortunately they didn't do any gaming related tests, but the only application they compared (Microsoft Office) shows Windows 7 taking 3.21 minutes longer to complete the unspecified task compared to XP. Fantastic.

And why does an OS need 20 GB on the harddrive? My entire XP (SP3, with all my programs installed) takes up 4.3 GB. It doesn't make sense.

LostStraw

LostStraw

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 700 posts
I'm not sure why Microsoft has a listed requirement of 20GB for Windows 7 64 bit and 16GB for the 32 bit version. My install of Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit is around 5GB in size.

Edited by LostStraw, 03 August 2009 - 04:16 AM.

Pidesco

Pidesco

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 6530 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer
For a potentially much larger page file, probably.

Tex Willer

Tex Willer

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 25 posts
What is your experience with Linux? Which version should be more appetible for people who don't know many things about operating systems and who don't want to buy Windows 7?

CoM_Solaufein

CoM_Solaufein

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 5116 posts
  • Steam:apocalypse_2000

I'm not sure why Microsoft has a listed requirement of 20GB for Windows 7 64 bit and 16GB for the 32 bit version. My install of Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit is around 5GB in size.

About the same here with the 64 bit I DLed.

I like this OS so far. I really hope it lives up to the hype because I need to move past XP.

Deraldin

Deraldin

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4033 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer

About the same here with the 64 bit I DLed.

I like this OS so far. I really hope it lives up to the hype because I need to move past XP.

My 64bit installation is around 12GB, half of which is taken up by the WinSXS folder.

Lare Kikkeli

Lare Kikkeli

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 832 posts
Hopefully I'll be abled to get drivers for all my of hardware on the 64bit version. I've got 4 gigs of ram so half of it is wasted with 32b XP.

CoM_Solaufein

CoM_Solaufein

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 5116 posts
  • Steam:apocalypse_2000
ATI and Creative had beta drivers for my video cards and Sound Blaster X-Fi sound card. Looks like some of the companies are staying up to date with their drivers for the new OS.

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8547 posts
Everytime I read up on Windows 7, I hear all these superlatives being thrown around how it's so amazingly fast and much, much better than anything Microsoft has ever done. But as soon as you try to get the details, exactly WHAT is so much better and faster, they can't specify. And then I run into videos like these:

I really want to believe in a new OS (because of the RAM limitations in 32-bit XP) but WIndows 7 still sounds like a moderately tweaked version of Vista.

Wrath of Dagon

Wrath of Dagon

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2157 posts
It's Vista 1.5, but seems a lot more stable.

Morgoth

Morgoth

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 10099 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Like Vista wasn't stable, silly.

Jaesun

Jaesun

• Members
  • 1979 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Everytime I read up on Windows 7, I hear all these superlatives being thrown around how it's so amazingly fast and much, much better than anything Microsoft has ever done. But as soon as you try to get the details, exactly WHAT is so much better and faster, they can't specify. And then I run into videos like these:

I really want to believe in a new OS (because of the RAM limitations in 32-bit XP) but WIndows 7 still sounds like a moderately tweaked version of Vista.

You are seriously worried that a beta build shows black when you resize windows???

Wrath of Dagon

Wrath of Dagon

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2157 posts

Like Vista wasn't stable, silly.

Vista seems easily corruptible by applications crashing, while W7 seems better protected, at least based on my experiences so far.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users