Windows 7

ramza

And even some of those, if I am not mistaken, were 64-bit. :(

yes, after 2004 with the prescott core, which was the first of their standard line to use the x86-64 instruction set (the itanium was 64-bit after 2001 i believe.) amd had its version out a year prior with the opteron.

here's a list.

^morgoth: are games really having issues, or is it just older games? i wonder if the issues occur under proper compatibility mode settings or not?

taks

Edited by taks

comrade taks... just because.

The only game so far that has given me issues on 64 bit is Master of Orion 2. The installer doesn't run. I tried running it on VirtualPC, but the tiny screen resolution makes it appear not much larger than a desktop icon :)

The remaining issues have had more to do with gfx and various acceleration "features" that needs to be disabled when running them.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

And even some of those, if I am not mistaken, were 64-bit. :ermm:

yes, after 2004 with the prescott core, which was the first of their standard line to use the x86-64 instruction set (the itanium was 64-bit after 2001 i believe.) amd had its version out a year prior with the opteron.

here's a list.

^morgoth: are games really having issues, or is it just older games? i wonder if the issues occur under proper compatibility mode settings or not?

taks

Nah, I've never had a 64bit OS installed. It's just from hearing around that Win64 often gets treated as a second-class citizen for games, meaning that there's often no official support for it, or that games run glitchy on it.

Some modern monsters like Crysis prolly take advantage of it, Unreal3 I think also runs perfectly on 64 bit, but older game engines may crap out. When the day comes where games need more than 4Gb RAM to run well, I'll switch to 64bit.

For what it's worth, I've tried Dead Space, Painkiller, all Infinity Engine games, the last 3 Tomb Raider games, Jagged Allliance 2, Europa Universalis III, NWN2, The Witcher, VMBL, Kotor1 & 2, Pirates!, MS Flight Simulator X, X3, BF1942 and a handful of titles that I can't remember without problems on 64 bit quad core architecture. Only issues were gfx related and could be fixed in the ATI control panel :)

I still have a handful of "very" old games that needs testing. Moo2 didn't work. I am not sure that X-Com 3, Carmageddon and X-Wing vs. Tie-Fighter will work, still have to try those.

In short, I think people attribute mystical destructive powers to 64 bit :ermm:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

So, generally speaking, all 32 bit applications also run on Win 64? Just wanna know when I dust off my old Office 2003 that it still runs with 64 bit.

In my experience, yes. You are more likely to have issues with newer gfx cards and/or vista, which you would probably also have in 32 bit versions, than you are with the 64 bit architecture. The only exception is if you try to run software so old that it is 16/32 bit hybrid products. No 16 bit windows support if I understood it correctly (when digging around for reasons that my Moo2 installer didn't work).

uh, that website does not say that 32-bit vista and 64-bit vista are the same differing only in licensing. 32-bit vista is different than 64-bit vista, it just has the capability of dealing with greater than 4 GB of memory due to the use of the PAE, which MS has apparently disabled in 32-bit vista. they describe the whole thing in detail and even point out that programs requiring greater than 3 GB of memory will require 64-bit vista because it doesn't need the PAE.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll keep XP and just skin it to look like Se7en.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

I don't know if you have seen the special limited offer that Microsoft is making: you can now buy Windows 7 at half price. The question is whether we need to upgrade our OS or not. I am pretty happy with XP and it works fine with all of my games. Do I run the risk of encountering problems with my games if I install the new version of windows? Is it worth the risk of purchasing it?

ramza,

Since you can preorder the new windows for $50, I would defiantly put some cash down on Windows 7. Its worth the risk. If they were selling it for $199 at the start, I would hold off until all the bugs have been fixed.

Edited by Lord Darius

Ha anyone tried NWN2 on Windows 7? I ask this because there's been some reported issues and I was wondering if they had been fixed (after all I'm going to be upgrading soon and will most likely hit Windows 7 right when it's being released - thus I could go with Vista and a free upgrade later or Windows 7 from the start). So, again, how's NWN2 run on Win 7? :ermm:

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

I just installed Windows 7 x64 and I approve thus far. Its noticeably faster than Vista at everything I do, from opening programs to browsing the network. Makes me wish I had switched sooner.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I don't know if you have seen the special limited offer that Microsoft is making: you can now buy Windows 7 at half price. The question is whether we need to upgrade our OS or not. I am pretty happy with XP and it works fine with all of my games. Do I run the risk of encountering problems with my games if I install the new version of windows? Is it worth the risk of purchasing it?

ramza,

Since you can preorder the new windows for $50, I would defiantly put some cash down on Windows 7. Its worth the risk. If they were selling it for $199 at the start, I would hold off until all the bugs have been fixed.

Where do you get it for only $50? Which edition is it? On MS's website Ultimate is $199.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

ramza,

Where do you get it for only $50? Which edition is it? On MS's website Ultimate is $199.

Whoever is a student and wants Windows 7 Upgrade click on the link to get it for $30 bucks. :lol:

I got Windows 7 Professional for free through my current school :lol:

At the last college I attended they sold discount Microsoft products from the campus store. Full version of Vista Business Edition was 80$. I would probably still be using XP if I wasn't able to get such steep discounts.

Well, I suppose they aren't really discounts -- I'm probably paying for it through my tuition fees :ermm:

I can get Windows 7 Home Premium through my university for $30 even though I graduated in 07 :brows:

I'll probably go ahead and pick it up since that's a pretty good deal.

Edited by Arkan

I'm going to buy 7 when I get the new PC. Waiting to order the new PC until 7 comes out and can get it from the get go (rather than an "upgrade from Vista" option). Never wanted Vista but am willing to try 7 w/a new PC...if I hate it I can always wipe it and put XP on instead.

I was wondering tho...I know one person who loathes the DRM stuff in Vista. I assume it's still present in 7? His complaint goes thusly: "the system monitors your activity on the off-chance that you might be pirating something, and if so it can lock down certain pieces of hardware."

Is this accurate at all or is he under some kind of false impression? If it is at least somewhat accurate, I take it no one here sees it as an issue?

Edit: My husband hates Vista and doesn't like 7 any better...but he views things from an entirely different perspective than must of us do/would, so I'm ignoring him. :brows:

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I think he's under some kind of false impression. I've never heard of Vista locking down certain pieces of hardware or checking for piracy not related to itself. Although, I wouldn't put it past MS to implement something like that.

Some possibilities:

• Vista originally had a "kill" switch (SP1 removed it) that turned off features and limited log-in time if it wasn't activated within 30 days (3 days after a big hardware change) or if it believed you had a pirated copy. I'm not sure if that's in Windows 7 or not.
  • There's HDCP DRM which will only allow media protected by the DRM to be played on machines that have HDCP compliant hardware. However, media protected by such DRM wont play on an OS without the DRM implemented either (barring other measures).

The DRM in Windows Vista and 7 hasn't bothered me so far. Registration has been painless and easy and Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) hasn't made the mistake of calling me a pirate. However, I have never changed major hardware components while running Vista or 7 and have also heard that WGA does make some false positives. One day I might have to deal with Windows DRM issues and that does worry me a bit but not enough to keep me from using it.

• 1 month later...

So now that it's been out for a bit...has anyone had any trouble with Win7 in terms of pc's with Win7 seeing non-Win7 PC's over a LAN? Y'know, for sharing files and such. I've heard from some that it's a big pain in the arse to set that up and get it working.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

NVM, I finally found a page with some nice detailed/illustrated how-to instructions...hopefully it'll work for me. :thumbsup: