Windows 7

ramza

I'm not sure why Microsoft has a listed requirement of 20GB for Windows 7 64 bit and 16GB for the 32 bit version. My install of Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit is around 5GB in size.

About the same here with the 64 bit I DLed.

I like this OS so far. I really hope it lives up to the hype because I need to move past XP.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

I'm not sure why Microsoft has a listed requirement of 20GB for Windows 7 64 bit and 16GB for the 32 bit version. My install of Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit is around 5GB in size.

About the same here with the 64 bit I DLed.

I like this OS so far. I really hope it lives up to the hype because I need to move past XP.

My 64bit installation is around 12GB, half of which is taken up by the WinSXS folder.

ATI and Creative had beta drivers for my video cards and Sound Blaster X-Fi sound card. Looks like some of the companies are staying up to date with their drivers for the new OS.

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG

Everytime I read up on Windows 7, I hear all these superlatives being thrown around how it's so amazingly fast and much, much better than anything Microsoft has ever done. But as soon as you try to get the details, exactly WHAT is so much better and faster, they can't specify. And then I run into videos like these:

I really want to believe in a new OS (because of the RAM limitations in 32-bit XP) but WIndows 7 still sounds like a moderately tweaked version of Vista.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Everytime I read up on Windows 7, I hear all these superlatives being thrown around how it's so amazingly fast and much, much better than anything Microsoft has ever done. But as soon as you try to get the details, exactly WHAT is so much better and faster, they can't specify. And then I run into videos like these:

I really want to believe in a new OS (because of the RAM limitations in 32-bit XP) but WIndows 7 still sounds like a moderately tweaked version of Vista.

You are seriously worried that a beta build shows black when you resize windows???

It's Vista 1.5, but seems a lot more stable.

Like Vista wasn't stable, silly.

Vista seems easily corruptible by applications crashing, while W7 seems better protected, at least based on my experiences so far.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

certainly a relevant question since 64-bit is ultimately the way to go. will it be a pain in the beginning, or is 7 expected to be better with 64-bit out of the gate? i still haven't tried to install my beta. oh well. :thumbsup:

taks

comrade taks... just because.

that's the rub, ain't it? sigh... the switch to 32-bit seemed relatively painless. so painless, in fact, that i scarfed win32 up as soon as it came out and never had a problem. of course, the permeation of the home computer, nay, computers in general, into our lives was not nearly as great in the early 90s as now.

taks

Another review of Windows 7:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/08/12/windows-7-review/

This one's pretty positive, but AGAIN, it seems as if all they ever do is sit around in the OS itself and only open generic windows (not applications) and has a hassle finding the right one after a while. This is where Windows 7 seems to shine. Not a word on speed, how much resources it takes, how it handles more specialized applications (yes, it runs Word.. great..). I work with Samplitude and drivers that haven't been updated since Windows 2000 was brand new. Works perfectly under XP Pro, returns a blue screen of death under Vista. How about Windows 7?

And of course, gaming. I can play Daggerfall under XP. Vista can't even start the installer. How about Windows 7? I get 40-60 fps in STALKER: Clear Sky under XP and 20-30 fps in the same game, same settings under Vista (with constant chugging of the harddrive). How about Windows 7?

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

not me... soon, maybe. it's not like i have any NEW games to play these days anyway and i rarely do anything other than open a word or pdf file or browse the web. /grumble

taks

Okay ... so I may be dense ... has anyone tested & under a 64 environment and still been able to game/operate 'normally?'
I can run all my games under W7/64, some of them did crash as they did under Vista, but I think it's because my graphics card is overheating. Edit: A lot of the older game compatibility will depend on whether the graphics driver works with the game, rather than W7 itself. Edited by Wrath of Dagon

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

I don't know if you have seen the special limited offer that Microsoft is making: you can now buy Windows 7 at half price. The question is whether we need to upgrade our OS or not. I am pretty happy with XP and it works fine with all of my games. Do I run the risk of encountering problems with my games if I install the new version of windows? Is it worth the risk of purchasing it?

It's far less of an issue than it was upgrading from win9x to XP.

Edited by Moose

There are none that are right, only strong of opinion. There are none that are wrong, only ignorant of facts

Okay ... so I may be dense ... has anyone tested & under a 64 environment and still been able to game/operate 'normally?'

I've been playing Fallout3 and Oblivion with it and haven't had any problems.

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG

Umm yeah everything works fast, and games like crysis are faster in 64 bit. If your processor supports 64 bit (like all of them do now) then you really should have no fear making the switch