Hurlie's Summer Trip

Hurlshort

I'm going to start a thread and try to update it daily on the road as I embark on my 16-day RV trip. We are leaving on Thursday, but I figured I'd post a picture of the RV since I spent all morning emptying and cleaning the waste tanks and washing the RV. I also had to make sure I could still remember how to do the awning, by far the most complicated device on my RV.

-2 days until departure

dayminus2.jpg

Good luck. You'll need it. There appears to be some sort of wild creature about.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

Good Luck!

Maybe you'll find Bigfoot out there. I hear they are all over the place now.

Is this your first RV trip? Or somethign you do regularly?

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Good luck. You'll need it. There appears to be some sort of wild creature about.

hahaha I laughed out loud. Hey, the kids a cutie, but having a wife and kid with you will be like babe repellant. :aiee:

Have a good trip! Don't drink too much beer. Don't drink too little either.

The first thing I think of is the Griswolds. :/

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

so are you going to be zooming around and trying to visit people in each area from here? :aiee:

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Christ on a donkey! That's a big bastard.

I still want to chrome-plate a casspir APC, pimp out the interior and drive around the US.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Artist's imprssion of me touring US in a casspir and pimp hat.

casspir2.jpg

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

This reminds me of the Swedish camping holidays of my youth. Spending all day carsick in a hot car, and every evening in a smelly camping park with nothing to do. Atleast I was lucky enough that we didnt have a caravan, those are plain awful. ( we had a ford transit that dad would modify so we could sleep in it )

This is what summer is like for most of swedens lower-middle-class children:

husvagn3.jpg

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

We used to have summers on the coast of Scotland, in a hut with no electricty or (frequently) running water. The hut was made of asbestos. The bad kind. There were rats everywhere, and the water was ice cold or full of jellyfish. We would end each trip covered in lice. It was around this time that I went mad.

-Elwood Blues

Guest PoziomyPion

Well, how about cleaning the place from all those lice, rats and all that stuff before staying there?

Well, maybe I'm picky.

Anyway, I hope you have some great time Hurlshot and you won't run into some mutants who feed on human flesh. They are everywhere now, I swear.

PS. I always thought posting children photos on the internet was a bad idea.

Edited by PoziomyPion

PS. I always thought posting children photos on the internet was a bad idea.

Why would that be? At this point, I'd say with all the social networking sites, pictures of young'uns are all over the place.'

T-minus 1-day and I've got the fridge packed. Now I know some of you will freak out about the lack of beer, but I'm just not a huge drinker. I do plan on buying some local brews when I get to Colorado, so I'm hoping taks can enlighten me on a good choice.

dayminus1.jpg

Edited by Hurlshot

I'm eating those pot stickers as I type this message.

In other news, I'm pretty depressed at least more so than usual. So tired and confused and bored.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

I do plan on buying some local brews when I get to Colorado, so I'm hoping taks can enlighten me on a good choice.

coincidence, i suppose, that i just now chose to see what you were up to.

first, we are taking off on our trip tomorrow around 1:00 or so. didn't you say you'd be up near hwy 70, however? we'll be down near creede, for what it's worth, and either in creede or silverton on the 4th. anyway, i just got done getting my backpack filled up. 28 lbs. without water and i'm sure i'll find a few other things before i'm ready to take off on that part (begins monday) of the trip.

now, as for beer... CO is 2nd only to oregon in terms of micro-brews per capita. lots to drink out here. get used to scotch/scottish ales if you want to listen to my advice. my favorites, which you may not be able to find everywhere (particurlaly the first) are as follows:

scottish ales

1) laughing lab, by bristol brewing company here in COS. this is my favorite.

2) 90 schilling. by odell's. tough to say i don't like this as well as laughing lab.

porters

1) cutthroat porter, by odell's again. very nice. a regular national award winner apparently.

2) vanilla porter, breckenridge brewery. mmmm... you won't find this many places as they only do 3600 barrels per year (the entire brewery).

3) ten pin porter, ska brewing.

miscellaneous

1) 1554, a black ale by new belgium. much better than fat tire, IMO.

breweries that i would buy more than one beer from

bristol

odell's

left hand

flying dog

breckenridge

new belgium

ska brewing

dam brewery in dillon (near the ski resorts, they don't sell package)

any rock bottom restaurant

taks

comrade taks... just because.

i didn't even list my true favorite: trinity brewing. not so much because their beer is good (it is, really, really good), but because it's this cool hippy place that also serves cool hippy food along with their cool hippy beer. i almost fit in there, other than the fact that i'm probably politically as far on the other end of the spectrum as possible from all the hippies that work there! :) they're nice people, though, hehe.

oh, just about every pissant town in colorado has its own micro-brew. silverton has a really good one that i hope to visit this week. we 4-wheel over stony pass and hang out for the day, then 4-wheel back with a buzz. a shot of whiskey at the bottom of timber hill caps it off (the name is a misnomer, search for pics of me and the jeep on the hill 3 years ago).

grand junction, which is off 70 right near the border with utah, is also where all the colorado wines are... uh, crafted, i guess. i haven't tasted many so i cannot advise there.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

I have to admit, the doc says I can't drink anymore, so I lay off the brew most of the time. I take the occassional Scotch and water, though.

I would suggest, other than a few local brews in the evening, you stick to soda and juice with the kid. And let us know if you track down taks. I want pictures. I will only use them to stalk you a little bit I suppose.

I didn't recognise any of those beers, man. *happy sigh*

-Elwood Blues