The value of human life

lord of flies

Celebrities are people, too.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Celebrities are people, too.

They support the capitalist system, and by putting undue emphasis on their lives we prioritize them before those who truly need our help. There is really not much you can do to make a celebrity die later; you can, however, help the impoverished in the third world.

PS: As you read this post, another African child died.

lord of flies is... somewhat right, I think.

I still think MJ was a creep. Don't care if he's dead.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I don't prioritize celebtries. I merely pointed out that I've been watching Pitchmen on the Discovery Channel this season. One if its 2 leads is Billy Mays. It will be weird watching a new episode this week when he just died. He seemed like a pretty OK guy. He's got a wife, a son. A good friend/business partner that he does the show with. I didn't know him personally, so I'm not losing any sleep over it, but there are people who are.

I'm not saying he is more important than anyone else because he is a celebrity, but he's not less important either.

Edited by CrashGirl
Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Hey, guess what, going into a thread where people are discussing the life and death of a public figure and pointing out that people die all the time doesn't make you morally superior, it makes you an insensitive douche.

The point of celebrity is that many people connect with them, trying to make people feel bad about that connection isn't necessary.

I hope I never get so caught up in my own views, that I can not feel compassion for other peoples misery, even if they're not somebody I care about.

Celebrities die, it's part of life. Ask yourself what you did today to make your life worthwhile :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Hey, guess what, going into a thread where people are discussing the life and death of a public figure and pointing out that people die all the time doesn't make you morally superior, it makes you an insensitive douche.

The point of celebrity is that many people connect with them, trying to make people feel bad about that connection isn't necessary.

Every death is a tragedy, but the death of a bourgeoisie clown whose sole purpose in life is to distract the proles from the US' imperialism is not as bad as that of the African child whose father died mining Coltan so you could watch low-quality Youtube videos of Michael Jackson's song on your own computer.

Every death is a tragedy, but the death of a bourgeoisie clown whose sole purpose in life is to distract the proles from the US' imperialism is not as bad as that of the African child whose father died mining Coltan so you could watch low-quality Youtube videos of Michael Jackson's song on your own computer.

Hey, Christopher Reeves! Get off your high horse!

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Hey, Christopher Reeves! Get off your high horse!

Heh.

But seriously, the only good thing Christopher Reeve ever did was push donations to charities which could help him with his condition, after he got his condition. Still a bourgeoisie clown. "Ooh, look, Superman! Golly, this is reinforcing my black-white, cold war era mentality which ended several democratic regimes!" *ignores the fact that one of the few just wars is going on in Vietnam v. Cambodia*

The death of a random African child is not newsworthy.
On the contrary; the death of a random African child is newsworthy. It is newsworthy because it happens every day, and many times every day. It is newsworthy because it can be corrected. It is newsworthy because it is something that is evil and terrible and wrong in the world that can be fixed with political and economic action that is never tried because Americans are distracted with "Michael Jackson died" and the corporate shills in congresses and parliaments worldwide have no reason to do anything with their public so mollified, and can thusly continue to get contributions from the most disgustingly oppressive corporations in return for never bringing it up.

On the contrary; the death of a random African child is newsworthy. It is newsworthy because it happens every day, and many times every day. It is newsworthy because it can be corrected. It is newsworthy because it is something that is evil and terrible and wrong in the world that can be fixed with political and economic action that is never tried because Americans are distracted with "Michael Jackson died" and the corporate shills in congresses and parliaments worldwide have no reason to do anything with their public so mollified, and can thusly continue to get contributions from the most disgustingly oppressive corporations in return for never bringing it up.

If you are craving attention and an appropriate soapbox to tout your favorite personal ideology, why don't you simply create a thread for it instead of hijacking this one? Not interested in the topic of this thread? No problem. Skip it and move on.

I love how African children dying is America's fault despite being the most charitable nation on the ****ing planet. I know this http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2007-0...haritable_N.htm is from 2005, but its been like that for some time. TWICE as much as the next most charitable nation.

Don't get me wrong. People get WAY too attached to celebrities. People who don't know these people end up swarming the hospitals and what not. Just don't get it.

Its also pretty lame to get on your high horse about charity and starving kids in Africa on a VIDEO GAME FORUM. You could have given that last bit of money YOU spent on a game to charity.

It's not newsworthy because people aren't interested in hearing about it.
Wrong again. People might be interested in hearing that Michael Jackson is dead, sure, but bam, I just informed you that Michael Jackson is dead without distracting you for days from the world around you.

People can care about a thing: it's all about presentation. Tie it to them - the American government or American corporations. This isn't hard, as neo-colonialism is a good chunk of the reason Africa is such a ****hole, and everyone is involved (other reasons include gaining real exposure to western culture in 1880, and old-school colonialism). Put it hard, don't let them think it's not so bad; ****ing put pictures up of little girls who've had nails driven into their heads by their families and are now mentally retarded.

And, if you care to push this into social consciousness, keep it going indefinitely. One could easily say that "people don't want to hear about horrific treatment of enemy POWs," but yet Abu Ghraib and Guatanamo Bay became major issues. Why? Because the media kept on it. Media skim stories from each other so much that you could easily keep this going around if you make people OUTRAGED about it.

If you are craving attention and an appropriate soapbox to tout your favorite personal ideology, why don't you simply create a thread for it instead of hijacking this one? Not interested in the topic of this thread? No problem. Skip it and move on.
This thread does not belong to bourgeoisie clowns, it belongs to the people. It was a dumb topic anyway, no one will miss "June 2009 is way worse than June 2003 because some rich white people died."
I love how African children dying is America's fault despite being the most charitable nation on the ****ing planet. I know this http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2007-0...haritable_N.htm is from 2005, but its been like that for some time. TWICE as much as the next most charitable nation.

Don't get me wrong. People get WAY too attached to celebrities. People who don't know these people end up swarming the hospitals and what not. Just don't get it.

Its also pretty lame to get on your high horse about charity and starving kids in Africa on a VIDEO GAME FORUM. You could have given that last bit of money YOU spent on a game to charity.

It's been months since I last bought a video game, and I give most of my disposable income to charity. What now?

There's plenty of USAID going to Latin America too (targeted at the more repressive regimes because of corporate influence), doesn't mean that the US has had a positive effect in ANY WAY on Latin America.

"June 2009 is way worse than June 2003 because some rich white people died."

Ah, I'm sure a bit of racism doesn't play into your views.

"There's plenty of USAID going to Latin America too (targeted at the more repressive regimes because of corporate influence), doesn't mean that the US has had a positive effect in ANY WAY on Latin America."

So all the good effect in other regions doesn't count :). Doesn't change the fact Americans give more than any other country on the planet. I think we've earned the right to be a bit mopey about our celebrities AND donate even if they seem like an odd combination.

"It's been months since I last bought a video game, and I give most of my disposable income to charity. What now?"

Now you should go create your own thread to whine and mope about all the horror in the world instead of trying to hijack a thread for people that want to talk about people that they looked up to/enjoyed/etc passing away.

Lol what the hell are you doing here, go save some "random African child" another just died while you sat here

Ah, I'm sure a bit of racism doesn't play into your views.
What the -- mentioning race when it's relevant??? He must be a RACIST!!!

Seriously, when was the last time the US media ignored a genocide/major war in a white-people country?

So all the good effect in other regions doesn't count :). Doesn't change the fact Americans give more than any other country on the planet. I think we've earned the right to be a bit mopey about our celebrities AND donate even if they seem like an odd combination.
Why do you think Americans are so rich and can give more money than everyone else??? Hint: neo-colonialism, which is centered on Africa and Latin America.
Now you should go create your own thread to whine and mope about all the horror in the world instead of trying to hijack a thread for people that want to talk about people that they looked up to/enjoyed/etc passing away.
Wrong again, most of the posts in this thread are about me/my opinions, which makes this thread about me.
Lol what the hell are you doing here, go save some "random African child" another just died while you sat here
If I can change just one person here's opinion, my positive effect on sub-saharan Africa will be doubled over my lifetime. Do the math - a few minutes time wasted before going to sleep is nothing in comparison.

Wrong again.

No, really, it's not newsworthy because people aren't interested in hearing about it. There is nothing new or strange about it, it's business as usual. Insisting otherwise doesn't make it true. This isn't an American thing (I'm not American), it's universal.

What exactly are you doing about the deaths of children in Africa? How are you attempting to help? If you think attacking people on this forum is going to change anything then you are incredibly naive.

Since when was MJ white? YEAH YEAH, laugh it up, but last time I checked he was African American. Or he was... bah!

And no, race is NOT relevant. If Bill Cosby was one of the many celebrities who died this month would you still say that? You are comparing celebrity deaths of multiple races to world policy... you definitely have something against whitey.

"Why do you think Americans are so rich and can give more money than everyone else??? Hint: neo-colonialism, which is centered on Africa and Latin America."

There are MANY reasons America is a rich country, though, likely being a Marxist I'm sure that is your focus.

"Wrong again, most of the posts in this thread are about me/my opinions, which makes this thread about me."

Thats why its called hijacking, and why you are a egotistical ******.

"If I can change just one person here's opinion, my positive effect on sub-saharan Africa will be doubled over my lifetime. Do the math - a few minutes time wasted before going to sleep is nothing in comparison."

Congratulations. You changed my opinion. Though considering it, I'll never donate to any African charities. Instead I'll continue to focus on ill children in America.

No, really, it's not newsworthy because people aren't interested in hearing about it. There is nothing new or strange about it, it's business as usual. Insisting otherwise doesn't make it true. This isn't an American thing (I'm not American), it's universal.
There's nothing "new or interesting" about Iran not being a democracy (it hasn't been since the 1953 US-supported coup), either. Please explain.
What exactly are you doing about the deaths of children in Africa? How are you attempting to help? If you think attacking people on this forum is going to change anything then you are incredibly naive.
Red herring/ad hominem, my personal effect on Africa has nothing to do with the topic at hand.
Since when was MJ white? YEAH YEAH, laugh it up, but last time I checked he was African American. Or he was... bah!

And no, race is NOT relevant. If Bill Cosby was one of the many celebrities who died this month would you still say that? You are comparing celebrity deaths of multiple races to world policy... you definitely have something against whitey.

Georgia v. Russia: very important. Ethiopia v. Somalia: not important. Genocide of Kosovans: important. Genocide in East Timor: not important. Government of Iran not being a democracy: important. Government of [insert country here] not being a democracy: not important. What connects these? Hmmm...
There are MANY reasons America is a rich country, though, likely being a Marxist I'm sure that is your focus.
Name one which is independent of colonialism or neocolonialism.
Congratulations. You changed my opinion. Though considering it, I'll never donate to any African charities. Instead I'll continue to focus on ill children in America.
I assume you mean Latin America, correct? Obviously ill children in the US don't really need much help since any day now (lol) we'll get around to it.

"Red herring/ad hominem, my personal effect on Africa has nothing to do with the topic at hand."

You have nothing to do with the topic at hand which is dead celebrities in the month of June. Neither do I wasting time on responding to you.

"Georgia v. Russia: very important. Ethiopia v. Somalia: not important. Genocide of Kosovans: important. Genocide in East Timor: not important. Government of Iran not being a democracy: important. Government of [insert country here] not being a democracy: not important. What connects these? Hmmm..."

Threats to America you racist! Iran = big threat... Ethiopia v. Somalia... Maybe I've missed something but I don't know how this conflict is a bigger threat to America than the other events. You give examples trying to back up your racist viewpoint and you mention Iran. LOTS of white people in Iran. :)

"I assume you mean Latin America, correct? Obviously ill children in the US don't really need much help since any day now (lol) we'll get around to it."

Yet we spend so much money giving to foreign aid and we still have problems in the US. You are right though. We DO give way too much to foreign aid when we should be focusing more on our own back yard.

Edited by GreasyDogMeat

Red herring/ad hominem, my personal effect on Africa has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

Of course it does, you said: There is really not much you can do to make a celebrity die later; you can, however, help the impoverished in the third world.

You can help the impoverished in the third world. So how are you doing that?

Kids aren't dying in Africa because of people living normal lives in the USA or Europe are naturally empathetic. The biggest problem is that unlike you or me most people don't consider the problems of Africa to be simple. I've been to several african countries in relative depth and

a) People do a LOT to try and help

b) IMO they do the wrong things, but its not obvious why they are the wrong things

You think the problems can be solved by applying marxist formulas which to me make as much as sense as arguing we should solve world hunger by learning to photosynthesise. Can't be done with a mk1 human.

My top choice for helping celebrities:

1) Only celebrate people who have some substance to 'em. So they are better equipped to handle it.

My top choice for helping Africa:

1) Prove that we can help a nation in real trouble by seeing through our commitments to Afghanistan.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.