ALIENS NEWS

Chris P

Now, I realize that Aliens Crucible was ocnfirmed today as being canned. But, we still have high hopes for Colonial Marines.

Are there any Obsidian representatives, or staff that can possibly pop in here from time to time to post a tid bit of news?

It was the work on ALIES Crucible that drew me here in the first place, so I would like to see the topic not die along with it's game.

Now, you probably already know that I run an AVP fan website and one of our key features is info on the games.

If staff would like to get in touch, maybe want me to promote future projects, please give me a shout. But anyways, I DO have a few questions:

#1- Will Obsidian revive Aliens Crucible in the future?

#2- Other than deadlines not being met, what was the main cause for the game's cancelaltion?

#3- Do you plan to take on a role revolving around the PREDATOR franchise, possibly a game to match the upcoming film in 2010? (entitled "Predators").

These are just a few questions, so if any developers, staff, or reps want to comment, please do.

Thanks again everyone.

Chris P.

& AVP Spectrum Staff.

#1- Will Obsidian revive Aliens Crucible in the future?

Its Sega's decision, not Obsidian to make since the property is Sega's in the first place. So Obsidian is incapable of making any decision.

#2- Other than deadlines not being met, what was the main cause for the game's cancelaltion?

Based on a dev's post in other forum(RPG Codex), the main cause of the cancellation was likely due to Sega having a bad year with 250 million dollar loss that forced them to cut corners in project fundings.

With the Aliens RPG still having 20 months to go and despite in meeting the last project milestone, Sega may have deemed the project too expensive to continue funding for an original IP with unique gameplay. Here's an excerpt of what the Aliens: Crucible gameplay might had been:

About the game itself, Obsidian programmer Anthony Davis shed a little light on what could've been in response to comments on the concept art.

The little guy next to the Alien is for scale genius. This was a concept piece.

The Xenomorphs according to canon absorb some dna traits from host creatures. The two in question here were the behemoth, taken from a very large herbivore, and the second was something were calling a stalker, essentially an Alien that can cloak like a chameleon, taken from a chameleon type creature host. There were also Queens, scouts, soldiers, spitters, and more - including black and red variants for those who know the material.

The game was most certainly NOT a grind fest. Experience was awarded for completing objectives and stealth was greatly encouraged.

Basic gameplay was your party was composed of 3 to 4 members. Party members could be from 1 of 4 different professions, marine, agent, engineer, and ugh...I forget the 4th at the moment .

In addition to stealth, party members could place traps for Aliens, such as turrets, mines, door bombs, and more. Doors could also be welded or cut to slow down Alien movement and create bottlenecks.

There was research, crafting, base defense and much more in the game and working.

#3- Do you plan to take on a role revolving around the PREDATOR franchise, possibly a game to match the upcoming film in 2010? (entitled "Predators").

Again, Obsidian is just a small private developer and is incapable of signing up expensive Fox property licenses like Aliens or Predators. That is up to a publisher to make and their choice to assign the project to a developer of their choice.

Oh, alright, thanks for that. :lol:

I didn't know how it all worked really. So Obsidian basically creates the game for the publisher, and it is the publisher's job to pay for the licensing and all that.

All right, thanks. Can Obsidian comment on projects that they have been offered regarding the A/P franchises? Like if they have been called for a job on another Alien or Predator title? Or is that confidential?