New video: Gametrailer's 'Global Conspiracy' walkthrough

This is a new video, actually - I recorded it on Monday. It is pretty similar to the 1UP video we recorded at E3 (same build), but is more representative of the demo we were giving to the press behind closed doors at E3, instead of an interview format. So the info might not be new to you guys, but it's good to get it on GameTrailers as well. Extra eyeballs and all that.

Matthew Rorie

New or old, I know I haven't seen this specific video yet. And it looks all fun. Now, if only the AI were smarter... :aiee:

Edited by fastpunk

"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes

I knew it :aiee:

Ya watched the video. It is a different run-through of the level. Wasn't certain until the player killed the turret gunner dude via explosion instead of by shooting him.

Damn I'm stoked for this game. I think it's looking good.

I'm also glad to see that it is receiving a good user rating on GameTrailers. Some of the other A.P videos received a low '7' rating with people writing dumb comments thinking that the game is merely an action game... it is good to see more people are 'getting it.'

Regrettably it doesn't appear that I can re-edit the title of this thread to replace 'old' with 'new'. Maybe a mod could help me out? It's all Oner's fault btw 8P

Edited by kreese12

AI needs a good bit of work.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

Regrettably it doesn't appear that I can re-edit the title of this thread to replace 'old' with 'new'. Maybe a mod could help me out? It's all Oner's fault btw 8P

I'll send the bill to Oner :-

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

More demo videos will help more people realize that this is an RPG. I've seen posters complaining that it doesn't look "as good as the new Splinter Cell," which means they're trying to interpret what they're seeing as if it's actually a Splinter Cell game.

It's unfortunate that the "real-world" setting is raising so many complaints about the "evasion" skill, even though no one cares when abstractions like that show up in any other genre.

It seems like lots of people are dying to play an RPG that doesn't have space marines or elves, though.

Much better than the 1up video, can actually read what the characters are saying, and we get some better indepth look at the inventory and character menus.

Wish Obsidian would put up some more vids about the RPG elements though, like the types of quests, the characters, etc. Unfortunately, as its been stated before, I think too many people see these action vids and then go, "Phht, this isn't as cool as *insert action game X*". When they see the RPG elements, they go "Whoa cool!", but they're being overshadowed. Story is what will make or break this game, I've said it before, and I'm gonna keep saying it until I play it for myself.

Still hope Martial Arts get buffed with some blocking, counterattacks, disarms etc. Seems like it would be really useful for stealth characters if you could do that. Otherwise, why not just blast someone with a gun point-blank in a fraction of the time to beat them down?

Still, looking excited. If the next vids convince me that the quests, characters, and world will be widly varied, rich and detailed, I may just preorder this game. (And if you knew how cautious I was about buying before renting, you'd realise what a compliment that is.)

Oh, btw, the download option seems to be busted at the GT site, anyone know a mirror where I could donwload this vid?

Edited by Darth Sithari

Opinions are the root of all evil.

Did Matthew Rorie call Sie a 'cougar'? OK, is that an elite German squad or something or did he mean it like Ellen Barkin in Ocean's 13? Tell me it's anything BUT the latter.

Liked the propane tank under the water tower. Made me '0' for a moment there :D

Lethal takedown. A little ugh about the bug.

I noticed that the reason why the AI seems so buggy is because most enemies tend to go for the grenade first, then shoot, and even then, after a moments hesitation.

12:00 Nice shot, Matthew!

I liked the boss fight with Sie. Had something MGS about it that I really liked. But since Sie is a mini boss, she should be a little tougher than that. Not all hell breaks loose tought, just tough enough. Wouldn't hurt to have the fight last a little longer.

Bah! The comments again! 'This gives me a Mass Effect feel'! Sure, I mean what with the aliens and spaceships and all. Because there never was a TPS/RPG before Mass Effect.

Edited by SirPetrakus

Guest PoziomyPion
Bah! The comments again! 'This gives me a Mass Effect feel'! Sure, I mean what with the aliens and spaceships and all. Because there never was a TPS/RPG before Mass Effect.

Remember it's gametrailers, kids there know only hyped up games and then forget them when another one comes along. Games were invented when they started playing basically.

Guest PoziomyPion

Yeah, but you need a certain number of points to raise a skill by one square.For example level one martial arts costs one level up point, but raising it to level two costs you using 4 level up points. If i remember it was a bit diffrent in Mass Effect. One point for "one square". One square costed one point given on level up no matter how far you raised your skill.

At least thats what I got from recent videos.

That system was used in diffrent games too. It's hardy anytging new for MassEffect.

Edited by PoziomyPion

I was pretty much convinced that Mass Effect isn't overly too much like Alpha Protocol in that thread I made on the topic. But I think anyone would agree that the character skill screen, both the look and the underpinnings of it, are a take off of Mass Effect's system. If it wasn't for the differing skill point 'cost', it would be practically identical.

Edited by kreese12

I was pretty much convinced that Mass Effect isn't overly too much like Alpha Protocol in that thread I made on the topic. But I think anyone would agree that the character skill screen, both the look and the underpinnings of it, are a take off of Mass Effect's system. If it wasn't for the differing skill point 'cost', it would be practically identical.

That system was used in diffrent games too. It's hardy anything new for MassEffect.

Exactly! You mean because Mass Effect used it recently, all games using some sort of point system stole it from Mass Effect? If anything, Alpha Protocol's skill system is more like VtM's skill system, where for each level of skill you gain, you need progressively more skill points. Other than a revamped layout to make it look less like a character sheet from a pnp game and more like "look how pretty and easy to use this is, average casual gamer so don't feel intimidated", I strongly doubt it has anything to do with Mass Effect.

Yes, you can unlock special ablilities by adding points to your skills, just like Mass Effect, but even so, again, Mass Effect wasn't the first game to do that (again, VtM games, DnD games, etc). It's like the regenerating mana argument over Gothic 3 and Oblivion, it's pointless and makes no sense, since in both games you could regenerate mana and you could do so in games before either of them.

Seriously, there really is NOTHING in gaming that hasn't been done before, one way or the other, it's just the elements you combine in the end that make the game stand out.

Personally, I am getting an MGS vibe off this game, more than anything. I think this is what the Obs devs were aiming for from the start, but with a dose of the 3 JBs too. I mean, hey, not all game characters should feel like Snake Plisken.

Edited by SirPetrakus

No I'm not saying it is most similar to Mass Effect's character skill system because Mass Effect used it most recently, I'm saying Alpha Protocol's character skill system is most similar to Mass Effect's because Alpha Protocol's character skill system is most similar to Mass Effects. Not exactly the same, but definitely inspired/influenced. I'd imagine probably whoever even designed it would not have an problem admitting that.

Of course all games are going to have some similarities, and general ideas and styles evolve over time. But as I was saying before, the character screen of Alpha Protocol both acts and looks the same as Mass Effects.

Vampire Bloodlines wasn't nearly as similar.

Take a look at these three screenshots and ask yourself if one of them seems to look a little bit different than the others:

masseffectleveling.jpg

0.jpg

3602140038_33d5df6352_o.jpg

It's been many years since I played Bloodlines but the skill system wasn't as much like A.P's as M.E's was/is, in both the design and looks.

Are you really telling me you can't see much similarity in the layout, look and design? And please don't say that AP's skill system was as much influenced by uh, SSI's Curse of the Azure bonds because they both have skill points or some such.

Edited by kreese12

Doesn't matter much. I'm just sayin' they are very similar, and find it odd that some people would not recognize that.

I don't even think it's a bad thing. I like the system.

If anything perhaps a little more originality would be good, because I'm just always in favor of originality and trying new stuff instead of contributing to the eventual over-genre-fication and homogenizing of all game design, but ya it's fine and doesn't bother me. The system works.