Favorite Music Genre

Nihilus5078

Hopefully this isn't too closely related to the music thread. What kind of music do you like, I love these:

Genre Favorite Bands

Hard Rock (System of a Down, AC/DC, ZZ Top, Led Zeppelin, Billy Idol)

Heavy Metal (Iron Maiden, Metallica, Slipknot, In This Moment, Hirax, Judas Priest)

Metal (Van Halen)

Thrash Metal (Slayer, Evile)

Death Metal (Arch Enemy, Suffocation, Amon Amarth, Holy Moses, Bolt Thrower)

Doom Metal (My Dying Bride)

Alternative Rock (Collective Soul, Coldplay)

Alternative Metal (Disturbed)

Black Metal (Astarte, Cadaveria)

Power Metal (DragonForce, Visions of Atlantis)

Brit Rock (Muse)

Gothic Metal (Imperia, Sirenia, Elis)

Stoner Metal (Acid King)

Heroic Rock (Europe)

Rap Metal (Rage Against the Machine)

Favorite song by these artists:

System of a Down -

AC/DC - Thunderstruck

ZZ Top - La Grange

Led Zeppelin -

Billy Idol - Rebel Yell

Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark

Metallica - Ride the Lightning

Slipknot - Before I Forget

In This Moment -

Hirax -

Judas Priest

Van Halen - Hot for Teacher

Slayer - Raining Blood

Evile -

Arch Enemy -

Suffocation -

Amon Amarth - Runes to my Memory

Holy Moses -

Bolt Thrower - The 4th Crusade

My Dying Bride -

Collective Soul - They're all great

Coldplay -

Disturbed -

Astarte - God I Hate Them All

Cadaveria -

DragonForce -

Visions of Atlantis -

Muse -

Imperia -

Sirenia -

Elis -

it's in german, yet they are from Liechenstein, but it's still good.

Acid King -

Europe - Final Countdown

Rage Against the Machine - Bulls on Parade

Edited by Nihilus5078

deicideLogo5.jpg

Hey, no offense, but what's with all the subgenres? Now I only listen to a handful of metal bands, but it strikes me that metal and rock, things that are pretty much about rebelling, upsetting established order and primal emotions (also occasionally death, war and battle) shouldn't be subjected to all this classifying and organising.

I kind of think genres are silly anyway. Bands who get placed or place themselves in a genre often seem to be unwilling to break new boundaries or experiment It's pretty much why every new upset in rock music is followed by a slew of crappy copycats, like the punk, grunge and nu-metal movements (punk slowly degenerated into bull**** like Fallout Boy by way of things like Blink 182). And also it causes the original bands jump ship in these movements so they can break the label and still make the music they want (bands like Pearl Jam continued their careers taking great care to alienate everyone except for the most loyal of their fans by making music that just wouldn't appeal to the casual rocker of that time). In fact, all that categorisation is probably one of the reasons most genres or subgenres don't make it past their first wave before degenerating into crap. Crossing genre boundries or even slightly changing your sound is extremely dangerous and often leads to your fanbase abandoning you. This is why the most enduring bands, like AC/DC, are often that bands that just release the same album over and over again.

I much prefer something like Eels. They've covered the range from pop to rock to blues to country and always try (though not always succeed) to come up with something entirely new.

I guess if I had to say a genre I liked best it would be 'Indie Rock', but saying that is ridiculous because while most artists I listen to fit that label it can hardly be described a 'genre' because half the bands have no common factor other than releasing their material on independants and more than 90% of it is utter tripe.

Power metal (Gamma Ray, Stratovarius, Destiny's End)

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

I am old man and still love the music of my youth. 70's (hard?) rock.

AC/DC

Aerosmith

Led Zeppelin

Judas Priest

Def Leppard (First 2 records)

UFO

Black Sabbath

Boston

Deep Purple

Lynyrd Skynyrd

Queen

Rush

Van Halen

The Who

Others of a later time period

Metallica

Alice n Chains

Guns N' Roses

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Infectious Grooves

Suicidal Tendencies

Tool

Faith No More

Soundgarden........you get the idea

Hey, no offense, but what's with all the subgenres?

What he said :(

In my younger days, I tried to classify and compartamentalise everything, but eventually I realised that I was trying to hit a moving target.

These days, I try to classify music by less stringent things like mood or purpose instead.

When needing to wring a bit more effort out of myself, I play a bit of Led Zeppelin, Accept, Dorothee Pesh, Kiss, Joan Jett etc.

When feeling moody, I play gregorian chant or stuff like Clannad, Enya etc.

When relaxing, very slow stuff like Kitaro, Sarah Brightman, Vangelis etc.

When background "noise" is in order, some Stiltskin, The Jesus and Mary Chain, Garbage, The Primitives etc.

When feeling introspective, I put on some Fleetwood Mac, The Cult, Queen, Pink Floyd etc.

And so forth. Just example bands, plenty more where they came from.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

What I like rocks :(, and if it has a male singer, his voice should be low pitched (Madrugada).

Also, there should be a melody and preferrably distinctive bass. That's why I like many things gothic (from the post-punk roots onwards, Souther Death Cult, Bauhaus, Fields of the Nephilim, Faith and the Muse) including death rock.

I'm picky with metal, some gothic (Tristania (Ashes)) and less clearly defined dark metal (Rotting Christ, Moonspell, Atrocity (Atlantis), Nefilim) really does it for me, melodic death metal (Dark Tranquillity) can be really great, as can progressive (Vanden Plas, Ayreon even with singers from the following description). Anything that sounds like castration is a no-go (a great deal of the male fronted Power Metal stuff, also some Progressive).

Psychedelic stuff like later Beatles, up to progressive rock (Pink Floyd, Aphrodites Child), and where the genres merge it really gets as interesting for me as it can (-> Fields of the Nephilim - Sumerland (from the album) is an example).

I love some electronics thrown in the mix in the case of rock and metal (ASP, Zeromancer, Samael) or trip hop (Portishead, Tricky, Massive Attack) and

aaaargh sod it, this is going too long. I hate this forcing into a genre-idea. I just love "my" bands, and I'm sorry for not having mentioned Collide, The Eden House, Project Pitchfork, Nine Inch Nails, Lamb, Fischerspooner, Rubicon, Sentenced, Radiohead, Beck, David Bowie, Elbow, U2, Dead Can Dance, Faun, Gary Numan and other stuff that is among my favourites.

Edited by samm

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

I like vritually everything. On my recent play list, I have everything from rap, heavy metal, rock, soft rock, country, trans-siberian orchestra, oldies ranging from 300 to 20 years ago. I have new stuff from 20 years ago to this year.

Like Gorth (since I'm only a figment of his imagination anyhow) I've got Gregorian Chant, Fleetwood Mac, Joan Jet, Pink Floyd, etc. on my play list. Like Gorth said, trying to narrow it down to a 'favorite' selection doesn't make senese. I like too many things at too many times.

I like a little bit of everything, but my favorite genres are Metal, Hard Rock, and Classical.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Agree about too many sub-genres. It's reaching ridiculous heights that I consider unsupportable. But that's just me. :(

At this point in my life, I don't really have favorite genre of music....or even favorite bands, really. I hear and like an individual song, one at time, and that's it. I like music with varied rhythm tracks and melodies (think Stomp or Kate Bush)...or music that makes my "spirit soar" (Celtic/Gaelic/orchestra). Songs from any genre may fit either of these categories at some time, so just about every genre will have an album or three worth of songs that I might really enjoy.

What I don't like is when music is instrumentally too "busy" or mixed/tortured to death, or too monotonous over the entire song. I don't typically like screaming as singing, either. In other words, usually I like melody over cacophony. I always dig my 80's roots. Lots of 60's rock n' roll and 50's/60's folk rock too.

Modern rock/metal music mostly escapes my notice, except when TV/internet points it out to me. :)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Ditto what Kelverin said.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Holy ****.

I just listened to Transition by Destiny's End. Why the hell did these guys only make two albums? They're honestly the best power metal I've ever heard.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

Forgot about Melodic Death Metal (In Flames, Dark Tranquility, At the Gates)

I love some electronics thrown in the mix in the case of rock and metal

then listen to Blood Stain Child, Sonic Syndicate, Scar Symmetry. they are all melodic death metal bands, but many of the melodies are electronics.

Edited by Darth Allanon

Always knowing the answer doesn't make you smart, but being able to discover the answer does.

I like classical Beethoven, Mozart, Haydn and so on, even some Thomas Tallis. Metal of different sorts, such as Opeth, Slayer, Meshuggah, Emperor, Mayhem, Iron Maiden. Rock i also appriciate, such as AC/DC, Led Zeppelin and The Who. Maybe some nice soul by Bobby Womack, Sam Cooke. I also have a guilty pleasure of liking the worst mainstream-synth-pop of the 80's such as Human League, Depeche Mode, Joy Division, Hall & Oates, you name it....wait a minute, maybe this should be done in reverse instead.

"What music do you not like? or even hate?"

Music that lacks a soul, or doesn't have any sense of direction. Music where creativity takes the backseat for marketing and potential market segments. Music that is sterile and not true in it self, and instead aimed to please as many as possible to the point of sacrificing its integrity. Examples:

- Girl bands (duh)

- Boy bands (du-uh)

- Most Rap/HipHop. Kind of ironic, considering its roots with grandmaster flash and NWA.

- Emo (copypasted punk/pop with the very same annoying lyrics. A poor mans Blues or Soul)

- Most modern pop-music.

We had a class reunion for class of -99 the other weekend, and we couldn't even find a song from that year that would be immortalized for generations to come. Come to think of, where have those "great bands" or songs been during the last 15 years? Are there any artists or bands that have started after the middle of the 90's that has produced anything that people will remember for future generations?

I guess that what i am really trying to say, is that this generation sucks.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Rock & metal.

Holy ****.

I just listened to Transition by Destiny's End. Why the hell did these guys only make two albums? They're honestly the best power metal I've ever heard.

The same could be said for Lost Horizon.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

I love some electronics thrown in the mix in the case of rock and metal

then listen to Blood Stain Child, Sonic Syndicate, Scar Symmetry. they are all melodic death metal bands, but many of the melodies are electronics.

Thanks for the hints!

I know Sonic Syndicate already, they sound totally nu metal to me... I like some stuff of them, but definitely not all, and not often :( Blood Stain Child isn't for me judging from random youtube clips, but they would be great in a racing game, think F-Zero :* Scar Symmetry has great growling but the singing voice...

Anyway, I'll give them a closer listen!

I was a fan of metal until I hit my mid-twenties, then it started giving me a headache.

Now I listen to Enya.

I listen to both (though I prefer Loreena McKennitt when going into the Enya-direction) - that makes me mid-twenty? Well, I am...

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

We had a class reunion for class of -99 the other weekend, and we couldn't even find a song from that year that would be immortalized for generations to come. Come to think of, where have those "great bands" or songs been during the last 15 years? Are there any artists or bands that have started after the middle of the 90's that has produced anything that people will remember for future generations?

I guess that what i am really trying to say, is that this generation sucks.

This has been bothering me all day now. There are no proper anthems anymore. All the stuff I listen to that I think is really worthwhile is usually small, personal stuff that probably doesn't matter as much to anyone but me. What happened to music to make them stop making the We Will Rock Yous and Bricks in the Wall?

"There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind."

-Duke Ellington

Ditto. I've liked some tracks from every genre. I do find some genres easier than others, but it's all about mood. The main thing is that the artist loves what they do, and isn't just some corporate monkey.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.