Mirror's Edge

Humodour

I'm just playing Mirror's Edge now. It's pretty fun, but I think they could've added some more advanced stealth elements. Or maybe that'd break the 'flow' too much. I like the intuitiveness of most of the acrobatic moves and places to jump to.

I'm up to the SWAT team and the elevator, and it's pretty bright and sunny for a dystopian world. The guy campaigning for reform was shot and that chick framed, but that seems more like corruption than anything, and that happens in a lot of places, but those aren't dystopias... I mean, there's no Soma, I haven't seen all that many CCTV cameras, there's plenty of news services... OK so the cops ARE shooting you for no reason, and you DO have SWAT teams after you for no reasons... maybe I should keep playing :)

Apparently this game didn't do well but they're still making a sequel and possibly trilogy? EQ expected it to sell 3 million copies - how many did it sell? Maybe that'll teach them not to put in such ****ing restrictive DRM. Seriously, do they think gamers are all latent criminals?

ME sold a solid 1 million units

1 million units is not at all solid when you're expecting to sell 3 million. EA would've done their books expecting 3 million, which essentially means the game was a loss. Feargus could explain it better. In fact, I believe he did here.

and it didn't utilize any DRM.

Yes it did. You had to activate it online, you had to type in a serial key, you had to have a Securom check periodically or the game would crash, and if you installed it on more than 5 machines it'd call you a pirate.

Overall, boring game. Running, jumping, running...meh.

You think it had no DRM and you think it was boring - are we even talking about the same game? :)

Edited by Krezack

I'm guessing it means Mirror's Edge.

So, I was going to pick this up when it drops to $10 on Steam. Is it worth that much?

Oh Jimmy, you were so funny.

Don't let me down.

From habit he lifts his watch; it shows him its blank face.

Zero hour, Snowman thinks. Time to go.

and it didn't utilize any DRM.

Yes it did. You had to activate it online, you had to type in a serial key, you had to have a Securom check periodically or the game would crash, and if you installed it on more than 5 machines it'd call you a pirate.

Funny, I remeber I didn't even had to have the disc inserted afterwards, or activate it online, or anything. Maybe I'm wrong, or perhaps they added that only in the Australian version. Like I care now.

So, I was going to pick this up when it drops to $10 on Steam. Is it worth that much?

Yes. The gameplay is unique, and I personally find it fun. Story is decent enough so far. Nice graphics.

ME sold a solid 1 million units

1 million units is not at all solid when you're expecting to sell 3 million. EA would've done their books expecting 3 million, which essentially means the game was a loss. Feargus could explain it better. In fact, I believe he did here.

Publishers always dream of buckets of money. They always expect too much, because they're selfish and greedy. I'm sure 1 million sold units still made a nice profit for them.

Heck, stupid Activision thinks they're gonna sell 11 million units of Modern Warfare 2 in 2 months. They should keep their feeds on the rug those idiots.

Yes. The gameplay is unique, and I personally find it fun. Story is decent enough so far. Nice graphics.

What exactly was so unique about the gameplay. It was just a stripped down FPS. It was all about getting chased by helicopters and mercenaries, that's it. Run run run jump reload. meh.

What exactly was so unique about the gameplay. It was just a stripped down FPS. It was all about getting chased by helicopters and mercenaries, that's it. Run run run jump reload. meh.

Portal was also just a stripped down FPS.

Mirror's Edge so good, might have to replay it now. Still haven't done the freaking time trials past chapter one :)

Just because you're a bit thinner than your even fatter mum it doesn't mean you're in excellent physical shape, if you could fit through the door and view the normal people you'd notice that cheeseburger boy. Squid suck.

Portal was also just a stripped down FPS.

Portal actually required the played to think and let him play with his own pace, unlike ME, which was most of the time on rails.

One review I saw described it as a racing game, and with that in mind I don't think stealth would really make any sense.

I love the bright, clean look of the game, and it shows how ridiculous claims that all UE3 games look the same really are.

I remember the devs saying that this game would redefine how we see first person gaming, and while it certainly didn't do that I really enjoyed jumping and climbing around the game world. Made me want a Thief game with a younger, more agile protagonist. Of course I'm not the first to say that and fanbois are quick to whine like babies and say "omg go play something else". I'd love a new Thief that features gameplay exactly the same as the originals, but I'm not against doing something new. Given the popularity of the "thieves highway", it surprises me how against this people are.

Portal actually required the played to think

The player never needed to think too hard, as puzzle games go, it was really easy. I know, because I'm terrible at puzzle games but didn't have a problem with any of it*. I guess you could call it a stripped down puzzle game...

Honestly though, I think calling these games "stripped down" doesn't do either of them any justice.

*In fact I completed it while benching pressing a thousand pounds and having sex with a women. Also, I made this post while drunk.

Edited by Hell Kitty

I wouldnt go as far as calling it "an 8-hour fecal waterslide" as yahtzee did but its a flawed and not very interesting game. The main flaw being that its supposed to be about flow, but the levels are contructed to completely negate that. The only way you can achieve any sort of fluent way to get through a level is if you've played it 3-4 times already. Or that the combat is intentionally crippled and they tell you to avoid it, but still force you to fight because some encounters cant be done any other way.

Battlefield: Bad Company is the DiCE/EA series of games you should really play. Unfortunantly, they didnt think an FPS would sell that well on the PC so its console exclusive ;)

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Battlefield: Bad Company is the DiCE/EA series of games you should really play. Unfortunantly, they didnt think an FPS would sell that well on the PC so its console exclusive

Funny that they have poor memory of how much Battlefield 2 managed to sell just on the PC alone without the need to compromise the gameplay and controls to be consolized.

Mirror's Edge was very poor. I think that the number one problem is that the graphic style made sure that every wall was almost pure white, making even navigating a hallway difficult at high speeds. Also, there were a ton of areas where you're just dropped into an area and you're meant to figure out one single specific way to get out (usually a door you can't quite see right away)

For as fast as the game wanted to be, several control problems also got in the way. Instead of Prince of Persia-style wall jumping (Press jump, press jump again) they have a weird 90 degree modifier key, and instead of Zelda-style height-rolling where it's mostly automatic you have to time a "tuck in" button to stick the landing. When you're trying to make a game around momentum and flow, you need to keep the control scheme shallow otherwise it comes off as fidgety.

Oh, and QUICK TIME EVENTS.

Oh, and QUICK TIME EVENTS.

Ugh. I'll probably still get it when it hits $10.

Oh Jimmy, you were so funny.

Don't let me down.

From habit he lifts his watch; it shows him its blank face.

Zero hour, Snowman thinks. Time to go.

To be fair they aren't the usual X/Y/A/B quick time events. You just have to press the disarm key at the right time to disarm people and you can even slow down time to do it.

It's much more fun to slide into people and get their guns though...

It's hard to find your way around them rooftops when you're being chased by 10+ SWAT agents & shot by a helicopter. I always ran into a dead end at one point leading to a reload - finally stopped playing at the beginning of chapter 8, couldn't get past the enemies in the beginning.

One of the more frustrating games of the recent years - I probably died more than a hundred times just trying to jump on a passing train. Good fun!

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.