As far as I know there has been no word yet on what if any DRM will be used on the PC version of Alpha Protocol. Sega has released a fair number of games on Steam, so I wouldn't be surprised to see it end up on there at some point if that is acceptable to you.

Pleeeeeeeeeease just be something unobtrusive like a disc-check and/or a serial key. I hate having to download cracks.

And if you're really nice guys, you could remove the disc check in a patch after a couple of years once it's served its purpose, like Blizzard does with their games.

Looking at the recent trend Sega is heading to, its quite likely they'll go for Steam instead.

Just as bad as any online activation. If it's true, I'm really glad I bought a PS3.

20795.jpg

Pleeeeeeeeeease just be something unobtrusive like a disc-check and/or a serial key. I hate having to download cracks.
Cracks are illegal in Australia, just FYI.
I don't post if I don't have anything to say, which I guess makes me better than the rest of your so-called "community." 8)

The thing about Steam is, how can we trust them when they say they'll remove DRM if Valve goes under? Blizzard has their history to back them up - look how they released no-cd patches for Diablo 2 and Warcraft 3.

I like to own tangible copies of my games, but I don't think I do with Steam. I lost my Steam account password for HL2 once and hence lost the game.

Cracks are illegal in Australia, just FYI.

I do not care - they shouldn't put such restrictive DRM on games I've bought.

Edited by Krezack

I do not care - they shouldn't put such restrictive DRM on games I've bought.

Don't go around saying that you use them, is all I'm saying.

I don't post if I don't have anything to say, which I guess makes me better than the rest of your so-called "community." 8)

The thing about Steam is, how can we trust them when they say they'll remove DRM if Valve goes under? Blizzard has their history to back them up - look how they released no-cd patches for Diablo 2 and Warcraft 3.

I like to own tangible copies of my games, but I don't think I do with Steam. I lost my Steam account password for HL2 once and hence lost the game.

First, valve will never go under. They're just too succesful. Secondly, Blizzard only released no-cd patches some 5 years after release. You can't expect Sega to release AP without any copy protection means.

First, valve will never go under.

Oh, well, Morgoth the economic seer has spoken! You hear that Valve? It's all free sailing from here - you can just cruise along like Interplay did.

You can't expect Sega to release AP without any copy protection means.

Um, I don't. Read the thread for once. ;)

Am I the only one who is continually surprised by the degree to which DRM issues get gamers' panties all twisted?

It's a freakin game. Install it, play it once or twice, and throw it on a shelf. If it's such a good game that you want to go back to it a few years later, would having to jump through a few hoops or buy a (by then, discounted) second copy be the worst thing in the world? As long as it isn't screwing with other legal stuff you do with your PC (as certain mostly-out-of-fashion DRM schemes were wont to), what's the big deal?

Edited by Enoch

Oh, well, Morgoth the economic seer has spoken! You hear that Valve? It's all free sailing from here - you can just cruise along like Interplay did.

With every single game sold in Steam, Valve makes a turnover on a daily basis. And the Steam library is growing every day, hence Valve gets richer every day.

It's even more probable that MS goes down before Valve does.

Am I the only one who is continually surprised by the degree to which DRM issues get gamers' panties all twisted?

It's a freakin game. Install it, play it once or twice, and throw it on a shelf. If it's such a good game that you want to go back to it a few years later, would having to jump through a few hoops or buy a (by then, discounted) second copy be the worst thing in the world? As long as it isn't screwing with other legal stuff you do with your PC (as certain mostly-out-of-fashion DRM schemes were wont to), what's the big deal?

You have no idea what SecuRom does to your PC, do you?

I don't mind non-invasive types of DRM such as those that require a serial number or a disc check. However, when it comes to install limits *cough*Mass Effect*cough* and online activation, that's just out of the question. I don't want to pay $50 of my hard earned money just to have spyware installed onto my PC.

For your reading pleasure

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SecuROM

http://www.amazon.com/review/REQ0B4T30Q4X4...t#REQ0B4T30Q4X4

With every single game sold in Steam, Valve makes a turnover on a daily basis. And the Steam library is growing every day, hence Valve gets richer every day.

It's even more probable that MS goes down before Valve does.

While I agree with you in theory, especially since I just played Portal, I still loathe the idea of not fully owning my game, as is the case with Steam (as I said, I've already lost HL2 once because I forgot my Steam password). And I certainly shouldn't have to rely on Valve's good grace and inability to fail!

Not steam, please. Learn a lesson from Stardock - DRM does not make your sales go up. Look at the success of Sins of a Solar empire, which has pretty much no DRM.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

Not steam, please. Learn a lesson from Stardock - DRM does not make your sales go up. Look at the success of Sins of a Solar empire, which has pretty much no DRM.

Actually, based on Stardock's recent game "Demigod", they might have second thoughts now.

Actually, based on Stardock's recent game "Demigod", they might have second thoughts now.

It could simply be that, you know, Demigod wasn't that good?

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

Piraters attempted to autheticate the games during launch day itself, overloading the server of Stardocks.

Sounds like it was leaked. That's not the fault of DRM.

Sins of a Solar Empire is one of the most successful recent PC games, in terms of both copies sold and reviews. It has no DRM.

Piraters attempted to autheticate the games during launch day itself, overloading the server of Stardocks.

Have you read any of the posts from Stardock that talked about the issues the game had on release? They weren't going "Oh crap, those damned pirates ruined our game!", they were saying "Oh crap, we screwed up when designing the network infrastructure for the game."

EDIT: Demigod: So what the hell happened? For your convenience.

Edited by Deraldin

Good thing that's cleared up.

Really, if SINS doesn't prove that DRM isn't necessary to sell a game, I don't know what does.

I think most gamers are just excited to have opportunities to rationalize piracy.