Splinter Cell Conviction vs Alpha Protocol

I owned Chaos Theory but never played it and eventually gave it away to someone at work. That was sole brush with anything Splinter Cell

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Good apples vs. apples fight but will ultimately hurt both Splinter Cell and Alpha Protocol sales. I'd guess Splinter Cell will win in combat and stealth mechanics and Alpha Protocol will win with story and choices. I'll probably buy both as I really loved Ubi Montreal Splinter Cell games (original and Chaos Theory) but I'll still root for the underdog.

I think there's still quite a bit of room for Alpha Protocol to do well, even with all the buzz that Conviction is generating. AP is positioned very well in the RPG release timeline; with Mass Effect 2 coming 2010 and no Elder Scrolls V this year, the only real competition will be Dragon Age: Origins (which is looking to be a bit of a disappointment).

And while I certainly hope that AP sells well so that Obsidian can expand and continue making interesting games, I'm mainly excited just to play this game. Whether it sells well or not, AP is looking like it will be one of my favorite titles this gen.

I don't care what anyone says, I'm buying both. It is true that story is not SC's strongest element (some interrogations and radio chatters are great though), but I love the gameplay and graphic. Chaos Theory still looks and plays better than most modern games. As for Double Agent, it was clearly behind CT but I still liked it.

I'll be playing AP for dialog, story, and RPG elements; just like most everyone else.

Edited by SpaceAlex

Personally I'm not too huge into Splinter Cell at all, but I'm really looking forward to Alpha Protocol.

Unfortunately however in the short term I could see the sales battle being won by S.C.C, just because of the whizz-bang graphics. (Personally I don't care how a game looks much at all...I much more care about how it plays.)

Who knows though. I honestly hope that Alpha Protocol gets some massive scores from the game review sites on the strengths of its gameplay and the game is the surprise hit of the year.

Edited by kreese12

bioshock was a big hit and that was originally a little bit niche. of course it had killer good reviews... so lets keep that quality we all know your capable of obsidian! this is your first real chance to show people what you're made of.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.