Splinter Cell Conviction vs Alpha Protocol

What's there to discuss? Splinter Cell has always been a poor man's Thief with linear levels and really bad dialogue. The games even warned you about bad plots with "Tom Clancy's" logo, the seal of laughable writing, put on the boxes. Alpha Protocol seems to be a modern day Deus Ex with more role-playing. Alpha Protocol wins.

20795.jpg

SC:C will probably sell much better. :thumbsup:

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

It seems that any games with a Tom Clancy name has a deliberately AWFUL story and at times, stupidly unbelievable.

Yes, I'm staring right down at you Rainbow Six Vegas series and Splinter Cell games.

Anyway, breaking down into comparisons in an objective manner.

Alpha Protocol

Pros:

-Role playing attributes with limited character customisation

-Role playing Choice and Consequences; leads to high replayability

-Stealth and combat is reliant on attributes and perks to make it useful

-More varieties in weapons and armor types and they come along with various mod upgrade slots

-Several ways to accomplish an objective

-Likely to have great plot and memorable characters

-25 hours of gaming moments without discounting replayabilities yet

Cons:

-Depth in both melee and shooting combat mechanics are compromised to give way to RPG mechanics.

-Depth in both melee and shooting mechanics are also compromised in order to make either combat system balanced.

-Based on E3 demo, enemy A.I functionality may be lacking and not polished enough

-Sacrifices realism to make way for RPG function mechanics.

-Graphic quality may be ugly for gwafeex whorez

-Unreal 3 engine still has loading texture problems based on the gameplay trailers

Splinter Cell: Conviction

Pros:

-Tom Clancy brand guarantees sales to military nuts

-Has established fan base after 4 sequels

-Awesum gwafeex! Blooms and shadows!

-Very theatrical approach. Creative, innovative use of implementing cinematic cut-scenes.

-Has a realism approach in delivering combat

-Sharp combat mechanics

-You get Michael Ironside

-You might get Multiplayer. Unknown if it will have the awesome coop mode of Chaos Theory which Double Agent dropped it.

Cons:

-Plot and characters likely to be so-so quality again. Can be quite eye-rolling ridiculous also if they follow the way of Rainbow Six Vegas 2's story and ending.

-Lack of combat scalability.

-Likely to be a short gameplay experience. 8 hours in order not to make the player feel tedious due to lack of scalability in character growth.

-Much more limited replayability than Alpha Protocol for its Single Player. Pointless if the multiplayer is simply another death match like Double Agent.

Alpha Protocol's definitely won't get crazy sales like Splinter Cell Conviction during that season.

However, there's a possibility in the long run that it might keep up with the sales with an established a new fan base. With that in mind that Alpha Protocol's as good as we expect it to be, Beta Protocol will have much better sales, followed with Gamma, Ephilson, Zeta and by the time it reaches Omega Protocol, I suspect it will have similar sales to Conviction.

It seems that any games with a Tom Clancy name has a deliberately AWFUL story and at times, stupidly unbelievable.

Yes, I'm staring right down at you Rainbow Six Vegas series and Splinter Cell games.

Anyway, breaking down into comparisons in an objective manner.

Alpha Protocol

Pros:

-Role playing attributes with limited character customisation

-Role playing Choice and Consequences; leads to high replayability

-Stealth and combat is reliant on attributes and perks to make it useful

-More varieties in weapons and armor types and they come along with various mod upgrade slots

-Several ways to accomplish an objective

-Likely to have great plot and memorable characters

-25 hours of gaming moments without discounting replayabilities yet

Cons:

-Depth in both melee and shooting combat mechanics are compromised to give way to RPG mechanics.

-Depth in both melee and shooting mechanics are also compromised in order to make either combat system balanced.

-Based on E3 demo, enemy A.I functionality may be lacking and not polished enough

-Sacrifices realism to make way for RPG function mechanics.

-Graphic quality may be ugly for gwafeex whorez

-Unreal 3 engine still has loading texture problems based on the gameplay trailers

Splinter Cell: Conviction

Pros:

-Tom Clancy brand guarantees sales to military nuts

-Has established fan base after 4 sequels

-Awesum gwafeex! Blooms and shadows!

-Very theatrical approach. Creative, innovative use of implementing cinematic cut-scenes.

-Has a realism approach in delivering combat

-Sharp combat mechanics

-You get Michael Ironside

-You might get Multiplayer. Unknown if it will have the awesome coop mode of Chaos Theory which Double Agent dropped it.

Cons:

-Plot and characters likely to be so-so quality again. Can be quite eye-rolling ridiculous also if they follow the way of Rainbow Six Vegas 2's story and ending.

-Lack of combat scalability.

-Likely to be a short gameplay experience. 8 hours in order not to make the player feel tedious due to lack of scalability in character growth.

-Much more limited replayability than Alpha Protocol for its Single Player. Pointless if the multiplayer is simply another death match like Double Agent.

Alpha Protocol's definitely won't get crazy sales like Splinter Cell Conviction during that season.

However, there's a possibility in the long run that it might keep up with the sales with an established a new fan base. With that in mind that Alpha Protocol's as good as we expect it to be, Beta Protocol will have much better sales, followed with Gamma, Ephilson, Zeta and by the time it reaches Omega Protocol, I suspect it will have similar sales to Conviction.

well from what i've seen even AP is going to require a good deal of suspension of disbelief (cougar mercenaries and one eyed Arabs), and i seriously doubt that there will ever be six Protocol games what with Obsidian being a company best known for continuing ip's started by other companies and Sega being like a boxer that has fought one too many fights, but here's to hoping

All Ubisoft Montreal titles were mediocre at best, including the latest PoP and AC. So why would magically the new Splinter Cell be a competitor for AP? Seriously, Independent game development always produces better results than huge game factories.

"both being stealth shooters from a 3rd person perspective, both being released in fall 09", and i'd class the difference in end results from independent game developers and huge game factories as being a judgement call, PoP and AC were two of the most popular and well received games in recent years, and while i didn't enjoy either of them i respect what they did in terms of gameplay and story, i'd go so far as to say that both were experimental, something you wouldn't have seen from one of the giant publishers/developers 5 years ago

All Ubisoft Montreal titles were mediocre at best, including the latest PoP and AC. So why would magically the new Splinter Cell be a competitor for AP? Seriously, Independent game development always produces better results than huge game factories.

"both being stealth shooters from a 3rd person perspective, both being released in fall 09", and i'd class the difference in end results from independent game developers and huge game factories as being a judgement call, PoP and AC were two of the most popular and well received games in recent years, and while i didn't enjoy either of them i respect what they did in terms of gameplay and story, i'd go so far as to say that both were experimental, something you wouldn't have seen from one of the giant publishers/developers 5 years ago

Just so you don't get me wrong. PoP and AC are incredible achievements, especially in the art department. But ultimately when it comes to gameplay and story, Obsidian will clearly win.

Oh god, please tell me the texture popping you mentioned isn't actually confirmed. That would make me tear my eyes out.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

So, uh, what is the point of this thread aside from painting Obsidian in a doom and gloom scenario?

was just trying to get feedback on other peoples thoughts about SC:C and its redesign and release date which have put it in close competition with AP, and what if anything Obsidian should do to remedy the above

I'm guessing SC:C will have much better gunplay/stealth elements, but that will be the only thing that game has going for it.

The big difference between Alpha Protocol and SC:C is that I'm buying Alpha Protocol.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

I buy everything Llyr does. That way I'm sure the games are top-quality.

Good apples vs. apples fight but will ultimately hurt both Splinter Cell and Alpha Protocol sales. I'd guess Splinter Cell will win in combat and stealth mechanics and Alpha Protocol will win with story and choices. I'll probably buy both as I really loved Ubi Montreal Splinter Cell games (original and Chaos Theory) but I'll still root for the underdog.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.