Sniper Rifles

Just few questions I have concerning my upcoming ninja-agent.

1. Which skill will rifles be under?

2. When targeting, will there be a "scope wobble"? Will this decrease with skill level?

3. Will they come with silencers, that is, will they be a viable stealth weapon?

Opinions are the root of all evil.

Tehre's sniper rifle in the game. One of the trailers showed MT using a bolt action rifle.

Yes, I noticed that as well, that's why I brought up this thread.

Apologies for not noticing the silencer thread earlier.

Opinions are the root of all evil.

Apologies for not noticing the silencer thread earlier.
Just to avoid misunderstandings, I only linked the comment so that you can ready the official answer, no insult or the like intended. :)

And crap, I didn't remember any snipers. Oh well.

It's not one of the core weapon types, so it's probably going to be an "occasional only" item. This is for the best-- given what we've seen of gameplay, it is almost certainly not practical for a character to rely on a SR as their primary weapon, and it's effectiveness is probably tough to scale over a range of ability levels. (Although it's conceivable that a character's assault rifle proficiency spills over into sniping.)

It's not one of the core weapon types, so it's probably going to be an "occasional only" item. This is for the best-- given what we've seen of gameplay, it is almost certainly not practical for a character to rely on a SR as their primary weapon, and it's effectiveness is probably tough to scale over a range of ability levels. (Although it's conceivable that a character's assault rifle proficiency spills over into sniping.)

Nobody said anything about primary weapon, though. But NOLF1 and Deus Ex 1 both managed to incorporate decent sniping options. It's a fun aspect of the game, especially if you're playing as a stealth character.

There are few things more satisfying than a stealth kill with a sniper.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Nobody said anything about primary weapon, though. But NOLF1 and Deus Ex 1 both managed to incorporate decent sniping options. It's a fun aspect of the game, especially if you're playing as a stealth character.

The counter-example I was thinking of was Mass Effect. You had a separate skill for sniping, and there were situations where it was quite useful, but in the vast majority of combats, it was far weaker than all three other weapons options. Any character specializing in SRs to the exclusion of other weapons was probably going to be rather gimped, which I think is a balance flaw to be avoided.

Edited by Enoch

The counter-example I was thinking of was Mass Effect. You had a separate skill for sniping, and there were situations where it was quite useful, but in the vast majority of combats, it was far weaker than all three other weapons options. Any character specializing in SRs to the exclusion of other weapons was probably going to be rather gimped, which I think is a balance flaw to be avoided.

I never found it all that useful because the sniper swayed like crazy and you couldn't get a decent shot. Also, no headshot damage bonus means this just failed.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

However, I do have to say the endgame snipers were extremely effective and satisfying.