We need a Star Trek RPG

Jaesun

Think of the influx of Star Trek fanboys, it would be horrible.

Only if they started arguing over the exact measurements of a ships nacelles and the fact Obsidian got it wrong by .2cm.

Isn't that all they do? Other than Kirk vs. Picard.

BSG fell on its face with the finale, it is dead to me.

While I wasn't impressed with the last episode, it don't cancel out 4 seasons of Sci-Fi goodness.

Considering that

God did it

, for me it did.

And I like that Deep Space Nine as a location. That could be rather cool!

This. The wormhole means there's plenty of room for the exploration kind of thing, and the factional setup in DS9, particularly by season 7, could make for fun. Also, The Fallen was fun.

Star Trek (communist utopia)

Not heard of Section 31? DS9 undercut a lot of the utopian crap.

This particularly rapid, unintelligible patter isn't generally heard, and if it is, it doesn't matter.

Purkake, Is that from an episode of the Twilight Zone?

Both Dune (too much brown) and Star Trek (communist utopia) are horrible settings for RPG. Best just to use original IPs.

Original IPs? In a RPG video game? The only developers who do that are BioWare, and people constantly complain about how unoriginal they are.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Purkake, Is that from an episode of the Twilight Zone?

Both Dune (too much brown) and Star Trek (communist utopia) are horrible settings for RPG. Best just to use original IPs.

Original IPs? In a RPG video game? The only developers who do that are BioWare, and people constantly complain about how unoriginal they are.

Probably, I didn't make it, though.

Edited by Purkake

How can a science fiction fan not watch the Twilight Zone? It even had Captain Kirk when he was good looking.

Wow, for some reason I didn't think DS9 was very popular among the Star Trek crowd. I'm even more surprised that so many of us agree. This isn't one of the signs of the apocalypse, is it?

DS9 is a very popular series. Thought I prefered Babylon 5, which aired at the same time.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

It should probably be about exploration and not about killing Klingons/Borg. It could be pretty fun if it had a bunch of random "mishaps" happen during travel ranging from hot alien aboard to tribble infestation to warpcore going nuclear.

I'd prefer something more alike to Deep Space: Nine. Getting thrown on some remote planet/space station and dealing with pretty much everything ranging from political intrigue, over-sexed Betazoids to an alien threat from an unknown part of the galaxy for instance the obscure Tholian Assembly or the Breen.

A Deep Space 9 type scenario would be my first choice as well but I think something resembling the original series would be an easier sell due to the movie's success.

Meh, if you're going to do a space station-based TV setting, Babylon 5 over DS9 anyway. All of DS9's best ideas were ripped right out of JMS' storylines anyway. And Sheridan, Ivanova, Delenn, G'Kar, Kosh....ahh, those were characters. Still my favorite all time TV show.

heh, then I see Maria agreed with me. :)

Edited by RangerSG

How can a science fiction fan not watch the Twilight Zone? It even had Captain Kirk when he was good looking.

I watched it a little when it was on TV here, but I mostly watched Macgyver, Quantum Leap, Knight Rider and cool stuff like that. For some reason it always came late at night...

If Bioware or some other developer choose to rip off well known IPs, at least they don't have to worry about continuety issues. To able to ignore fanboys is well worth it (at least untill game is out and you'll have new breed of fanboys... who should be ignored too :lol: ).

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

Wow, for some reason I didn't think DS9 was very popular among the Star Trek crowd. I'm even more surprised that so many of us agree. This isn't one of the signs of the apocalypse, is it?

DS9 is a very popular series. Thought I prefered Babylon 5, which aired at the same time.

The big thing is that I tend to watch shows that people around me watch. That's because I tend to recreate by playing video games, so I don't care much about what's on tv. Of the Star Trek shows that I've seen, I prefer DS9. I've heard good things about Babylon 5, but I've never seen it.

I think the reason DS9 was loved was because it wasn't mainly finding new life and making peace. the Federation got into a war with another group during several of the seasons and showed a more military side to the feds.

I don't think Trek would make a very good RPG because you don't exactly have true free agents running around in the TNG era. Well you do but non in the sense of "heavily armed" agents. The standards of RPGs (western and japanese) just don't conform very well to Trek because there is no morality or rag tag group of well meaning adventerurs who save the day... everything is done for the states benefit, so it wouldn't make sense to limit a player about what equipment he could requisition, and you couldn't very well have morality play any form of role because there's only "Us" and "them" really...

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I don't think Trek would make a very good RPG because you don't exactly have true free agents running around in the TNG era. Well you do but non in the sense of "heavily armed" agents. The standards of RPGs (western and japanese) just don't conform very well to Trek because there is no morality or rag tag group of well meaning adventerurs who save the day... everything is done for the states benefit, so it wouldn't make sense to limit a player about what equipment he could requisition, and you couldn't very well have morality play any form of role because there's only "Us" and "them" really...

A Star Trek RPG similar to Mass Effect could easily be made. There's enough races that could be used as antagonists threatening the known galaxy -- the Borg, Tholian Assembly, Breen but most interesting would be Species 8472. The player character could be some 'veteran' or 'newbie' Starfleet officer sent off in a ship travelling around several planets looking for allies & clues on how to fight the 'evil'.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

A Star Trek RPG similar to Mass Effect could easily be made. There's enough races that could be used as antagonists threatening the known galaxy -- the Borg, Tholian Assembly, Breen but most interesting would be Species 8472. The player character could be some 'veteran' or 'newbie' Starfleet officer sent off in a ship travelling around several planets looking for allies & clues on how to fight the 'evil'.

Just PLEASE not another gundam Picard fanservice fest.

Hey! Picard is awesome.

Keep that up and it's phasers at dawn.

Captain Picard.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

I can see this... kind of, but you'd have to have a one heck of a work around for the main character not having money.

There's always latinum, which they would need if they want to trade with the different races. Or at least the ferengi.

but that's the thing, every impression I've gotten of latinum is that it's like gold (which doesn't make sense to lug around a heavy valuable material when you're in the future)

There's always latinum, which they would need if they want to trade with the different races. Or at least the ferengi.

but that's the thing, every impression I've gotten of latinum is that it's like gold (which doesn't make sense to lug around a heavy valuable material when you're in the future)

Its apparently a liquid that can't be replicated, hence its value. Gold pressed latinum is latinum contained in gold strips for use as currency.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg