We need a Star Trek RPG

Jaesun

9 hours ago, melkathi said:

Can Paradox make every single Star Trek species into a separate DLC and charge for it?

See, it fits their business model perfectly!

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

3 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

See, it fits their business model perfectly!

Unlimited potential almost. Imagine selling TOS era Klingons, TNG era Klingons, the Blingons from Kelvin and the Klingorks from Discovery as seperate cosmetic DLCs. Of course you'd need to buy the Klingon DLC first. Or... seperate Vulcan and Romulan cosmetic DLCs. They even look the same, so you'd just need to design different clothes.

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

23 hours ago, melkathi said:

Isn't there a rule of acquisition against saying how much something would be worth to you?

When no appropriate rule applies, make one up.

1 hour ago, melkathi said:

Paradox are run by Ferengi...

Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.

• Like 3

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

have never played star trek: on line, but we have played too many bad star trek games. we kinda liked star trek: starfleet command, but in our experience that title is more notable as an exception than rule for decent star trek pc games, and am recognizing many folks didn't like starfleet command near as much as we did. whatever else, we don't need another bad or forgettable star trek game. has been too many less than stellar star trek titles... which is unfair to the star trek fans who deserve better.

+90% o' the time we would prefer a new ip as 'posed to a title which might require a license. am typical more interested in the developer o' a game than the setting or the license o' a new title anyways. that said, is a few unique novels, movies, tv shows, old crpgs and pnp rules systems which we s'pose is deserving o' consideration as inspiration for development o' a new crpg, but our list o' such is gonna be most frequent populated by obscure properties in large part precise 'cause they is obscure. fans is, all too often, annoying baggage which adheres to a license. developer/publisher need meet the unreasonable, fluid and elusive fan expectations. unnecessary burden on a developer.

regardless, we would be okie dokie with a good star trek rpg.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

17 hours ago, Gromnir said:

am recognizing many folks didn't like starfleet command near as much as we did.

Yeah, but honestly, those people don't matter.

Seriously though, SFC was not "pure" Trek either, as I recall. It was based on the Starfleet Battles tabletop which included a lot of non-canon stuff. And part of what made it so good was the adapted SFB ruleset, which they mostly ditched for SFC3. The move killed the franchise, to the consternation of the "annoying baggage" as you put it who had warned Taldren about it.

I think a potential problem when considering whether to make a Trek game is that with the push to make the IP more mainstream, people would immediately imagine something the size and production values of Mass Effect. Whereas I'd be perfectly happy with a Unity game comparable in scope to Dragonfall.

Also the last Trek game was that VR gimmick published by Ubisoft. It's a safe bet that it didn't sell much because of the peripheral requirements. So even if it wasn't necessarily the game's quality or the IP themselves that brought poor sales, I would expect that said sales are considered by publishers thinking about licensing the IP.

• Like 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

• 2 years later...
4 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

I'm expecting an announcement of a Micro-Obsidi-soft Star Trek RPG any day now... based on nothing at all except hopes and dreams. Yes, I'm still trying to will this into reality.

It will happen, except it will be a live service game (because we haven't had enough of those fail lately) pushing NFTs.

:fdevil:

• Gasp! 1
  • Sad 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Live service game based on Discovery*. Oh wait, all those jokes were done last time around, dammit.

Um, guess that Paramount doing the Halo TV show makes a ST game from a Microsoft studio more likely?

*otoh, Elite Force was good despite being based on the distinctly average Voyager, so who knows.

• Gasp! 1

I was looking for a decent spaceship game recently. I tried to get back into No Man's Sky, Elite Dangerous, and X4 Foundations, but none of them did the trick. So I ended up playing Star Traders: Frontiers. Sure enough, that scratched the itch. It has a great balance of crew management, ship combat, planet exploration, and story.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Hurlshort said:

I was looking for a decent spaceship game recently. I tried to get back into No Man's Sky, Elite Dangerous, and X4 Foundations, but none of them did the trick. So I ended up playing Star Traders: Frontiers. Sure enough, that scratched the itch. It has a great balance of crew management, ship combat, planet exploration, and story.

EVE Online

• Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

4 hours ago, Malcador said:

EVE Online

Ugh, other people? Plus I don't know how to spreadsheet. :p

edit: I tried spreadsheeting a bit in college, but it just wasn't for me. No judgement though. 

Edited by Hurlshort

1 hour ago, Hurlshort said:

Ugh, other people? Plus I don't know how to spreadsheet. :p

edit: I tried spreadsheeting a bit in college, but it just wasn't for me. No judgement though. 

Rebel Galaxy is also fun, if you've not tried it, and cheap to boot. Not really a space game as you're rooted to a plane, and it's not got immense replay value but should provide a fun 10 hours.

Edit : I think I spent way more than 10 hours in the game, but point still stands, you'll get at least 10 😛

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

13 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Rebel Galaxy is also fun, if you've not tried it, and cheap to boot. Not really a space game as you're rooted to a plane, and it's not got immense replay value but should provide a fun 10 hours.

I can only recommend it. Got it for free as a bonus to one purchase on GOG, and ended up with 75 hours played 😄

And you can get also pretty good prequel for cheap as well :)

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

is not star trek, but battlestar galactica, an ip not known for decent pc games, had us pleasant surprised with deadlock. we even liked the music. 

is a strategy game, so not exact what @Hurlshot is looking for, but you do craft a fleet and there is even a kinda handwave in the direction o' story elements which ain't terrible even if the voice acting is. am recalling hurl likes xcom, yes? if you enjoyed xcom and battletech, then am suspecting you enjoy deadlock.

is spring sales time for steam, yes? am not sure what is the price o' deadlock, but am s'posing is relative cheap... and unlike star trek: starfleet command, deadlock will run on a current windows rig.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

2 hours ago, Gromnir said:

is spring sales time for steam, yes? am not sure what is the price o' deadlock, but am s'posing is relative cheap... and unlike star trek: starfleet command, deadlock will run on a current windows rig.

The GOG version works - for me, at least - on Windows 11. In the configuration utility, select "primary display driver", go as high with the resolution as you can, save the settings. Go to the installation folder, pick Windows XP SP3 for compatibility mode, and finally change two settings in the sfc.ini file in the directory under the [Mouse] section. async to 0 and hwblit to 1. It is a little fiddly, but it works, at least without major graphics issues or crashes.

If it crashes, well, there's always the refund option. I do not know if one can make the Steam version run with these settings. Presumably GOG changed something with the game.

The game is still the way it is, so I find little enjoyment in it. That didn't change in over 20 years now. Guess it never will. :p

• Like 1

On 3/17/2023 at 4:29 PM, majestic said:

The GOG version works - for me, at least - on Windows 11.

galaxy is a dead end for us. am one o' those persons for whom it is impossible to update galaxy there is no manual update option. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, Gromnir said:

galaxy is a dead end for us. am one o' those persons for whom it is impossible to update galaxy there is no manual update option. 

HA! Good Fun!

Fixed in the latest release, at least according to the patchnotes. Direct link for the full installer: https://content-system.gog.com//open_link/download?path=/open/galaxy/client/2.0.60.2/setup_galaxy_2.0.60.2.exe

Just start Galaxy and uncheck "run at system startup" if it isn't unchecked already, then reboot, run the setup -> should work again. I also ran into the issue, but running the manual setup always fixed it, at least until it broke again an update or two later.

Still can use the standalone installer from the website if nothing else helps. I doubt SFC will get a whole lot of updates... :)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I never bothered watching Star Trek but I agree, we do need a Star Trek rpg. Now all we need now is for Microsoft to buy the rights and hand over the rest to Bethesda...

*runs for cover*

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.