Respect

Walsingham

There's a lot of talk about respect, and always has been. I was made acutely aware of it when reading about the murder of Ben Kinsella.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/8091215.stm

It made me wonder what is respect? Is it fear? Because I'd say I respected my godfather enormously and I never feared him once. I offer what I think of as respect to others, even people I don't understand, as an underpinning of good treatment. I have self-respect.

I ask because I wonder what kind of respect can be diminished by a kid you hardly know? A show of respect? I'm baffled.

Edited by Walsingham

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Respect = A mix of varying degrees of politeness and awe (however slight, but always positive) maybe?

Then again, respect is just that: respect. Immanent, if I quote my teacher accurately.

Edited by Oner

Respect = A mix of varying degrees of politeness and awe (however slight, but always positive) maybe?

Then again, respect is just that: respect. Immanent, if I quote my teacher accurately.

Immanent?

I confess I'm fascinated by this. Thinking about it more I wonder if it ties into my issues with status. Were these guys killing for the purpose of status? And if so, is that any different to killing for money, if the money simply goes into fast cars and expensive suits?

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Immanent?

Means self-explaining (among other things).

I confess I'm fascinated by this. Thinking about it more I wonder if it ties into my issues with status. Were these guys killing for the purpose of status? And if so, is that any different to killing for money, if the money simply goes into fast cars and expensive suits?

They were killing for revenge, not status. Killing the person you want to respect you is foolish (read: really retarded).

Fear isn't respect. It's a close substitute, though. People often say they "respect" X instead of admitting they crap their pants everytime they face it, which adds to the confusion. But they are most definitely different things.

In this case, what these slimeballs were trying to convey to the Court is that the victim probably wasn't crapping his pants expediently enough for them, so he obviously required further intimidation. Go go Inferiority complex!

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I could accept that fear is very similar to repsect. The next band along in the emotional spectrum, so to speak. But it is very different. Like comparing infra red with visible light.

-Elwood Blues

Fear equals respect only if you are a wuss.
Or if you have never felt true respect for anything or anyone, and on the other hand are familiar with fear. Or are into all this macho gangster bull****.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

We dont have respect in Sweden, at most we have consideration for our fellow man. But the immigrants talk about it alot, even though they dont seem to know what is either.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Respect is when you regard someone highly. To this end you might disagree entirely with someone, but regard them highly for the achievements they have made, their ambition, etc etc.

Fear on the other hand is fear. I guess that's why there is seperate word for it.

There are none that are right, only strong of opinion. There are none that are wrong, only ignorant of facts

I did a google image search and apparently "respect" means "holding hands".
Everything involves holding hands with you!

So when some braindead hiphoper comes yelling that he wants respect, he's saying that he wants us to treat him as a superior being?

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

one of my all-time favorite insults: the phrase "with all due respect" preceding a statement about why someone is wrong. nobody will ever know (unless you point it out) that you may mean "you aren't due any respect, thus i am not giving you any." :)

taks

comrade taks... just because.

There's a lot of talk about respect, and always has been. I was made acutely aware of it when reading about the murder of Ben Kinsella.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/8091215.stm

It made me wonder what is respect? Is it fear? Because I'd say I respected my godfather enormously and I never feared him once. I offer what I think of as respect to others, even people I don't understand, as an underpinning of good treatment. I have self-respect.

I ask because I wonder what kind of respect can be diminished by a kid you hardly know? A show of respect? I'm baffled.

Maybe for punishment they should be put behind a glass wall and yelled at for the rest of their lives by drill sargeants about what little worthless ****s they are.

Im proud to say that I treat all men with equal disrespect.

one of my all-time favorite insults: the phrase "with all due respect" preceding a statement about why someone is wrong. nobody will ever know (unless you point it out) that you may mean "you aren't due any respect, thus i am not giving you any." :)

Phh, it's just as transparent as when you say "No offense, but..." before you tell someone he's a bloody idiot.

Im proud to say that I treat all men with equal disrespect.

That doesn't make any sense, I'm sure you mean you treat everyone with the same amount of respect before you get to know them. Otherwise a rapist paedophile necrophiliac would be as good as Gandhi.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.