NWN3 will be actually a MMO

As deadly as a backstab is, it should not be the equivelant of a magical spell at the highest level of power. Unless you think something as mundane as a knife should be the equal of a power that can create soemthing out of nothing. R00fles!

A sneak attack adds +2d6 to physical damage to a hit at levels 1-10, +3d6 at levels 11-20, and +5d6 at levels 21-29.

There's a level 20 daily wizard spell that does 3d10 damage; half damage if it misses; 8d10 damage if it's the last daily spell you have left; can be fire, ice, or electric; and is AOE so it can hit multiple targets.

You know, there are good reasons to dislike 4e, but the vast majority of complaints I encounter are from people who have never bothered to read the book, or even find out what the rules are. Instead, it's the same incorrect information regurgitated from person to person.

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

I've played 4E for 6 months now, and I agree that it's kinda bland. All the classes are more or less identical. A mage's lvl 5 daily "bolt" (or whatever) might do 3d6 + int, while the rogues lvl 5 daily "stab" does 3d6 + dex. Also, the logic (if there ever was D&D logic) is worse than ever. A rogue might do a "spray" attack with his crossbow, hitting all enemies in 5' radius in one round (that's just one example). Of course, it does the same dmg as a fireball, so it's basically just to give the rogue some area attacks. Thief "backstab" or combat advantage does 2d6, the rangers quarry does 2d6. All skills are available to every class.

They try to differentiate between strikers and controllers etc, but there is no difference imho.

J.

Then there thosepeople who have read up on it, and realized that 4E is the worst D&D edition ever barring the original (which was extremely basic). Seriously, in 4E there is no reason to choose one class over another because they are basically the same. The gameplkay of eahc one is the same. *yawn*

While in earlier editions, a rogue was a rogue and a mage was a mage.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Then there thosepeople who have read up on it, and realized that 4E is the worst D&D edition ever barring the original (which was extremely basic). Seriously, in 4E there is no reason to choose one class over another because they are basically the same. The gameplkay of eahc one is the same. *yawn*

Maybe they designed it that way to encourage role playing. Or maybe not.

How does it increase role-playing if a rogue and a wizardy basically play the same? Weird.

Come on now, if the character classes are basically the same a person would be forced to roleplay to be different no? Anyway the trend to mesh characters/classes was begun with 3rd edition anyway and there seems to still be a lot of love for that particular rule set.

"Anyway the trend to mesh characters/classes was begun with 3rd edition anyway and there seems to still be a lot of love for that particular rule set."

Sure. It begun then, but it seems to have been completed or furthered at least in 4E making it worse.

P.S. I'm sure it's not all bad. In fact, I pretty much believe any system can be made playable.

P.S.S. btw, Roleplaying quality, imo, is 100% to do with the players/group involved not the actual rulesset.

The difference in classes should effect gameplay to ahuge degree; but role-playing is basically up to the group.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

• 1 month later...

Hmm it seems that the mmo rumor has been more or less confirmed. Link

Dungeons & Dragons Online developer Turbine is pursuing legal action against Atari, alleging the publisher of fraud, unjust enrichment, and breach of contract.

The bulk of Turbine's suit seems to revolve around the new D&D: Neverwinter Nights MMO Atari is said to be prepping in conjunction with Champions Online developer Cryptic. Turbine initially licensed the D&D MMO rights from Atari back in 2003.

In short, Turbine says that Atari lied about its "enthusiastic support" for the upcoming free-to-play relaunch of DDO, and then "trumped up" false charges against Turbine "in an effort to extort more money from Turbine, or, alternately, to free itself from its obligations under the contracts in order to clear the way for the launch of its own competing MMO service based on the D&D and Advanced D&D intellectual properties."

Cool, I'm rooting for Turbine in this fight.

Me too. I don't need another franchise brutally murdered by the MMO.

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

My only comment on this is - good riddance.

The only DnD RPG I hated more than NWN was Pool of Radiance: Ruins of myth Dannor.

Besides NWN (1991) was originally an MMORPG, which is probably why they want the name.

Edited by RPGmasterBoo

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

This isn't going to stop the NWN MMO in anyway, that isn't Turbine's objective. The NWN MMO is clearly years away from any sort of release, so Turbine isn't looking to get it shut down, at least according to that article. Turbine is going after Atari for a lack of support for their current title and the fact that they are trying to get money out of Turbine over the license.

Well, I have been running a 4e campaign for about 3 weeks now. The party just finished the prologue adventure and it went pretty well. We have a Genasi Wizard, Human Bard, and a Goliath Warden, and each of the players played their characters very differently when using their powers. The warden charged in bashing things, the bard healed and supported the warden, and the wizard either killed multiple enemies with his area effect spells or used his summoned creatures to keep flanking the enemy with the warden. Of course, there was a few close calls for the party. If I have to say one good thing about 4e, they definitely made goblins a lot more deadlier.

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

"all MMOs fail."

It's very rude to lie. :thumbsup:

Not a lie. There has never been a good MMO. Those that had a shred of worthiness (and at this particular moment in tim I'm basing this off of the E3 trailer of TOR) all brutally murdered good franchises, thusly failing.

MMO's are some of the most successful computer games of all time. If I was, say, Blizzard, I'd be pretty happy with my 'failure'.

You don't need an MMO to brutally murder a franchise. Franchises are overrated anyway. If something has been round long enough to become a franchise it has probably already been brutally murdered and looted for spare organs.

I'm actually a bit surprised they are calling it a NWN MMO. NWN is kind of an odd franchise, it's not like you have established characters or a connected storyline between the first two games. They shared gameplay style and the toolset for the most part, and that was it.

Why don't they just call it Forgotten Realms or something?

Well, Atari's been having financial problems, and has had problems with Hasbro. They may be in a similar situation to Interplay circa 2003, in that they may not be able to make new D&D IPs, but can continue to use existing IPs.

That said, Turbine created a crap MMO, and I am glad that another attempt is being made at a D&D MMO.

Decline of RPGs

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p