NWN3 will be actually a MMO

Clearly, Atari hasn't understood where the NWN core-crowd really is - the single player. But whatever.

Is it though? Having never played them to completion, I was under the impression that the core crowd is more aligned with the MP aspect and persistent worlds, after the initial playthrough of course.

Ahhh... No. The "core crowd" might use MP more but they also, normaly, use a hell of a lots of mods as well. Modifications have saved that game for many gamers and so I doubt many of them will like an MMO version. :-

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Maybe this is Atari's final dying breath. After that it will die a beautiful death and from it's ashes the DnD license will soar to the skies, free at last.

You can't soar to the skies if you've got the hundred tonne ball of dreck that is 4E chained to your ankle.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Maybe this is Atari's final dying breath. After that it will die a beautiful death and from it's ashes the DnD license will soar to the skies, free at last.

You can't soar to the skies if you've got the hundred tonne ball of dreck that is 4E chained to your ankle.

I can dream, can't I?

Maybe some MMO company will buy the 4e license and WotC will be so desperate by then that they will also sell off their GOOD licenses that they aren't using anymore.

"The original, pre Bioware, Nevewinter Nights was.... a very early MMO. You could just as easily argue that it's going back to it's roots."

Nope. nice try. they may share the same namebut they are completely different games, and series. This NWN3, the sequel to the series BIO originally started - not a sequel to first game named NWN.

" I was under the impression that the core crowd is more aligned with the MP aspect and persistent worlds"

The hardcore NWN series definitely are/were into the online aspect but the majority of NWN series players played only the SP campaigns.

Anyways, as for the news, seems like a waste though who knows it might turn out okay. Still, if they wanted to make a new D&D based MMORPG, they should just make one or at least just call the game NWN MMO instead of tagging it NWN3. Why not do both NWN MMO *and* NWN3. That way, Atari would get double the play for it. L0L

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Well I don't know about you guys but I'd still look forward to another Planescape or Forgotten Realms game - preferably from Obsidian.

Not personally, I'd like to see something completely new. Magic Eight-Ball tells me, however, that Obsidian will inevitably end up making Dragon Age 2, whereupon they will fix all the dialogue, engine problems and art assets and make it the game the original was meant to be :-

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

MMOs will never ever be able to capture the special moments that a persistent world filled with creative DMs and players is able to. For me at least being an avid player of NWN2's PWs.

Just another WoW clone from the looks of it.

Well I don't know about you guys but I'd still look forward to another Planescape or Forgotten Realms game - preferably from Obsidian.

Not personally, I'd like to see something completely new. Magic Eight-Ball tells me, however, that Obsidian will inevitably end up making Dragon Age 2, whereupon they will fix all the dialogue, engine problems and art assets and make it the game the original was meant to be :-

Cheers

MC

Nonsense. Why would EA outsource Dragon Age 2 to Obsidian.

If everything goes well, Obsidian is gonna work on their own fantasy property. Perhaps they continue on that "Seven Dwarfes" game as we speak.

Cheers

MC

Nonsense. Why would EA outsource Dragon Age 2 to Obsidian.

If everything goes well, Obsidian is gonna work on their own fantasy property. Perhaps they continue on that "Seven Dwarfes" game as we speak.

Er, it was a joke.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Perhaps they continue on that "Seven Dwarfes" game as we speak.

:marketing-dude: 'Seven Drawfs' sounds a bit lame, needs something extra to make it marketable. '7 DwArfs of the Apocalypse' would definitely have more pull. :marketing-dude:

But seriously, this is disappointing news. I got hundreds of fun hours from NWN2, and was kinda looking forward to a NWN3, also by Obsidian. But maybe it's for the best, who knows.

"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Won't be buying it thanks.

But bigger news (for me anyway) on the same page.

"Turbine today announced that it will relaunch its MMO Dungeons & Dragons Online this summer as Dungeons & Dragons Online: Eberron Unlimited, a free-to-play version of the massive online game.

Players will be able to download and play the game at no cost, with a new DDO Store providing revenue in the form of content and item sales. Dungeon packs, character slots, potions, character customization, and hired goons will all be available for purchase with Turbine Points. "

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/59083

"Turbine today announced that it will relaunch its MMO Dungeons & Dragons Online this summer as Dungeons & Dragons Online: Eberron Unlimited, a free-to-play version of the massive online game.

Players will be able to download and play the game at no cost, with a new DDO Store providing revenue in the form of content and item sales. Dungeon packs, character slots, potions, character customization, and hired goons will all be available for purchase with Turbine Points. "

Yay, you can now play a bad MMO for free!

Great. First TOR, now this. Yet more reason to buy two copies of AP.

This particularly rapid, unintelligible patter isn't generally heard, and if it is, it doesn't matter.

Yay, you can now play a bad MMO for free!

Except your toon will be a gimped POS unless you spend $15.99 a month keeping him in the latest gear. ;)