Freelancer- what mods should I use?

I just got a copy of freelancer, because i felt like space after going to see Star Trek. I know there is a very active and hardcore modding community that have done a ton of cool stuff that would enhance the experience from just playing the vanilla game. The problem is that I have no clue which mods to run, so I need some help. Im just going to play the singleplayer campaign, no mutliplayer for me.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Yeah, if this is your first time with it, vanilla is fine. The singleplayer campaign is relatively short anyway, and it doesn't have great replay value. Which is the reason why MP mods (Discovery chief among them) are designed with MP in mind only.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

The main story is a bit too short but pretty well paced. All the side stuff gets boring after a while anyway, and that's what all the mods deal with, hey it really is Oblivion in space, Although undoubtedly better. I wish I still had it lying around. Can it even play on a vista or xp system.

Multilayer is a bit moot now isn't it, must have gone the way of the dinosaur a long time ago.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Fine, Ill just play it vanilla then. Im running Vista x64 and it starts and runs, but I dont know how stable it is.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Freelancer is awesome!

The trick is to shoot the enemies until they explode.

...with slow firing weapons, you won't have much time to spam lasers when 4 guys shoot at you simultaneously.

That's why you get fast weapons and spam missiles...

Speed mod. Especially if you decide to try Freeworlds, about which my advice would be "ignore unless you have eight weeks free to cross the first damn system".

This particularly rapid, unintelligible patter isn't generally heard, and if it is, it doesn't matter.

Yeah but getting there is more than half the fun. Trucking my shipment of ore from one end of the system to another in my slow cargo ship while under constant attack from pirates was fun, well the first time, then you just get annoyed that your convoys seem to get stuck constantly without constant supervision.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Yeah but getting there is more than half the fun. Trucking my shipment of ore from one end of the system to another in my slow cargo ship while under constant attack from pirates was fun, well the first time, then you just get annoyed that your convoys seem to get stuck constantly without constant supervision.

I suppose. Last time I played the mod properly was... v.0.63, I think? Or was it 0.64? Anyways, the systems were mostly empty, and the cash requirements for a decent ship were insane. Starting off in a TIE/Z-95 is a short way to die on your first mission.

This particularly rapid, unintelligible patter isn't generally heard, and if it is, it doesn't matter.

Did EVE online kill space sims? Its more of a shame that people are still doing Space games that work very well, but are completely unplayable because they have no idea how to make a story and design gameplay. X3 looks really good and it could be lots of fun, but the story is nonexistant and the gameplay is horrible.

Did EVE online kill space sims? Its more of a shame that people are still doing Space games that work very well, but are completely unplayable because they have no idea how to make a story and design gameplay. X3 looks really good and it could be lots of fun, but the story is nonexistant and the gameplay is horrible.

EVE is more of a strategy game TBH. There are still a few space shooters like Dark Horizon, but they kinda suck.

X3 looks really good and it could be lots of fun, but the story is nonexistant and the gameplay is horrible.

Not horrible, just brutal to start of with. Once you get the hang of the controls and some money in your bank, it can become addictive. But the story is bad.

Did EVE online kill space sims? Its more of a shame that people are still doing Space games that work very well, but are completely unplayable because they have no idea how to make a story and design gameplay.

Nope game devs decided there wasn't a demand for them, which they are probably right.

EVE is more of a strategy game TBH. There are still a few space shooters like Dark Horizon, but they kinda suck.

Shows how desperate I am for space sims, I quite enjoyed it.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

X3 looks really good and it could be lots of fun, but the story is nonexistant and the gameplay is horrible.

Not horrible, just brutal to start of with. Once you get the hang of the controls and some money in your bank, it can become addictive. But the story is bad.

X3:

+Pretty

-The slowest game in the history of mankind, just finishing the weak story will take hundreds of hours where 99% will be just waiting to arrive at your desitnation

-A severe lack of information on how to play the game and how to accomplish missions makes the learning curve more like a wall

-The only actual gameplay is shooting stuff and that isnt much fun

-Really bad control interface, you'll need to click deep into menues for simple basic stuff

-Its really boring

-The missions can be extremely frustrating because of insufficient ifnromation and bad contruction. Its also very easy to break them.

I hate it, I really do.

X3:

+Pretty

Some of the best visuals in a game I've seen.

-The slowest game in the history of mankind, just finishing the weak story will take hundreds of hours where 99% will be just waiting to arrive at your desitnation

Never even bothered with the story, there is better stuff to do.

-A severe lack of information on how to play the game and how to accomplish missions makes the learning curve more like a wall

Agreed the manual and tutorial are atrocious, a half decent manual and a proper tutorial would of made the game more critically successful.

Wrong, just wrong. Trading, exploring, business, racing and....... tour guide.

-Really bad control interface, you'll need to click deep into menues for simple basic stuff

Again agreed but after playing for large amount of time, you tend to not notice it.

-Its really boring

It can be, at other times it can be one of the most entertaining space sims out.

-The missions can be extremely frustrating because of insufficient ifnromation and bad contruction. Its also very easy to break them.

Again, never bothered with the story, if you are talking about job/missions however, I've never had any problems.

Mind you while saying all this, I haven't played the vanilla X3 in a looong time, so perhaps my opinion is coloured by all the mods I have for it, which are awesome by the way. Just never get the Xenon migration one.....

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

X3:

+Pretty

-Its really boring

I hate it, I really do.

I've easily put more hours into X3:R than any other game I've ever played, only Ultima Online could possibly give it any competition. It would be helpful to know if you're talking about X3:R or X3:TC. Some of the complaints, look more like TC, as of a couple patches ago, don't know how it's doing currently, I've been too busy to load it up. Some of the criticisms are entirely justified though. The manual and story aren't really worth bothering with for the most part. Though the forums and the guides you can find there fill in for the manual reasonably well. And the interface could use some work, but if you spend enough time with it, I at least stopped noticing. As far as gameplay, shooting stuff is probably about the smallest part of X3, though TC seems to lean a bit more towards it. The business side of things is a huge part of the game. Trading, building factory complexes, constructing your fleet, then of course the exploration. And as Bos_hybrid mentioned, there's a great Mod community built around the X games.

I'm going to need better directions than "the secret lair."

-==(UDIC)==-