Scribblenauts

Scribblenauts is basically a 2D puzzle game where you solve the puzzles using items you can summon by typing their name. For example you have to get a star that is on top of a tree. You can type in "ladder" and use it to climb the tree or "axe" to cut the tree down or "jetpack" to fly up and grab the star. You could also type "flamethrower", "mech" or "fighter jet" and blow the tree to pieces.

That's the basic idea, the only limitations are dirty words, licensed stuff and nouns only. They have "tens of thousands of words" and the items act like they would in the real world eg. you can chop with a sword, throw a ninja star, a lion will eat a rabbit, a toaster will cook bread etc.

Here are some gameplay videos:

Gametrailers E3 gameplay

And a preview from Joystiq

It will be out this fall.

Edited by Purkake

• 3 months later...

The official NA release date is the 15th of September, but some places are apparently selling it now. Too bad we, Europeans have to wait till October 9th :(

If you have a DS and live in the States this is the one game to get.

Here's a pic from the launch courtesy of NeoGAF:

11w4y2c.jpg

I almost regret preordering for that rooster hat, but I still have my doubts about the game itself. While it's pretty awesome conceptually, I need to get more impressions about the game/level design and challenge before I actually consider it.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Tried it out and it's pretty cool. Controls are a bit weird sometimes but it's a lot fun.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I remember seeing a preview where they brought frankenstiens monster to life... then made a dingo for the heck of it... then placed a baby between them.

The dingo got the baby before the monster did and ate it.

Also you can literally summon god.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

The problem is that you can't resize any of the objects and they often turn out to be different than you had in mind when you wrote it. For example, "bridge" is a fairly impotent 2-foot long deal that won't get you across any significant gaps. Meawhile, "plank" was way too big to fit where I needed it to be. Coming up with a very clever solution for a puzzle only to be knocked down because the developer's idea of a hill is much larger than yours and won't fit is repeatedly irritating

Not to mention that the puzzles themselves... there are only so many different objects you can conjure up that dig through dirt you know what I mean?

The controls and interface make the game more of a pain to play than they should. Using the touch screen to move your guy around was a ridiculous mistake to make. Positioning your objects is tedious and difficult, especially when you're trying to attach two objects together. Some missions are timed (for example, save the picnic before the ants arrive and ruin it) and the interface makes it very difficult to solve the puzzle creatively (put the food into a basket is the answer i settled on. boring.)

The problem is that you can't resize any of the objects and they often turn out to be different than you had in mind when you wrote it. For example, "bridge" is a fairly impotent 2-foot long deal that won't get you across any significant gaps. Meawhile, "plank" was way too big to fit where I needed it to be. Coming up with a very clever solution for a puzzle only to be knocked down because the developer's idea of a hill is much larger than yours and won't fit is repeatedly irritating

Not to mention that the puzzles themselves... there are only so many different objects you can conjure up that dig through dirt you know what I mean?

The controls and interface make the game more of a pain to play than they should. Using the touch screen to move your guy around was a ridiculous mistake to make. Positioning your objects is tedious and difficult, especially when you're trying to attach two objects together. Some missions are timed (for example, save the picnic before the ants arrive and ruin it) and the interface makes it very difficult to solve the puzzle creatively (put the food into a basket is the answer i settled on. boring.)

Honestly if they allowed you to shift the sizes of the objects wouldn't that end up in the catagory of "I SHOULD do this but I'm just gonna make a skillion little hills to make a stairwell to that spot".

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Honestly if they allowed you to shift the sizes of the objects wouldn't that end up in the catagory of "I SHOULD do this but I'm just gonna make a skillion little hills to make a stairwell to that spot".

I thought the point of the game was that you were able to do stuff like that if you wanted. Besides, there is a limit as to how many objects you can have onscreen at once and part of the gameplay is using as few total as possible to get a better score.