Gameplay Video findings

Ok so I decided to do a bit of frame skipping in the latest gameplay videos, the two-part demo walkthrough from gametrailers (the so called stealth playthrough), the two-part demo guns blazing walkthrough from jeuxvideo, and the latest Chris Avellone interview from gametrailers.

EDIT: You can click on the pictures and it'll take you to slightly higher resolution versions.

Here's what I found.

3602139440_1be7c18ffd.jpg

The ingame menu for Intel, Service Record (basically the character sheet) and Inventory.

3602145400_b6f8270b24.jpg

The dossiers for the several characters of the game. You can select by Faction or by Individual, apparently.

3602146764_c0d5d1be54.jpg

Yancy Westridge, Alpha Protocol's Chief of Operations.

3601334637_1595960894.jpg

Sie's dossier. So she's actually German. I thought she was Russian all this time.

3602149540_6a7a344a9c.jpg

Alan Parker, Alpha Protocol's Senior Intelligence Analyst.

3602138820_ee4973c64e.jpg

The Inventory, specifically the weapon modding area. You can change the barrel, magazine, sight or acessory on the gun.

I've read somewhere that this gun looks like it was modelled based on the FN Five-Seven, and it sure looks like it:

800px-Five-seveN_USG.jpg

The FN Five Seven, for comparison.

3602140648_21ab41d7c6.jpg

Ingame the weapon is called Samael Sidewinder.

3601329375_c477ec18f8.jpg

Another weapon, the UC Jackal. No idea what real weapon it looks like, anyone knows?

3602140038_33d5df6352_o.jpg

The Service Record's first screen. It reads "Michael Thorton - Freelancer" on the top. Freelancer, is it a class, a name related to his level 8, or his company affiliation? I don't think the game has classes, but who knows.

Edited by Solivagant

Dragonblade of the Obsidian Order

No sleep for the Watcher

Sorry for the second post, but the forum appears to have an image limit for each post.

The new character sheet is a great improvement compared with this older version:

3601386479_90c778ccd9.jpg

It appears they've dropped the Infiltration statistic in the new version.

3602143818_eb9c420397.jpg

Armor Selection, Thorton's wearing Night Operations armor here, with a Reactive Polymer Weave mod.

3601327685_2d866c90cb.jpg

Gadget selection, he's got a first aid kit, the sound generator and an emp charge.

3601425925_26a54210bb.jpg

The hacking minigame.

3602238524_66c6e9f0df.jpg

"Perk Acquired: Blackbelt". The guy talking in the video mentions this, it's nothing new, but I really liked how they show these updates, item and perk gets, it's very subtle and disappears very fast.

Overall I think they've greatly improved the interface and ingame menus (compared to the little bits we had seen of it previously), and I'm eager to check out this stuff myself. Weapon modding and armor modding look nice, fast and functional. It reminds me of Metal Gear Solid 4's great interface for modding your weapons.

Edited by Solivagant

No sleep for the Watcher

Weapon customisation looks fun.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

If I had to guess, maybe they merged infiltration with sabotage and stealth, though I'm not sure what it did in the first place.

If stealth is not being seen, technical aptitude is hacking and using pc's, sabotage is using mines and traps, then infiltration might have been lockpicking, I think. Of course, sabotage could also include that.

No sleep for the Watcher

I think it's shaping up quite nicely. It could still use some polish, but I like what I see.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

I don't like the whole completion percentage in the character profiles section. It encourages metagaming, and it means we can get all available info on a character in a single playthrough. It breaks the illusion that you're talking to actual people, as getting to know them is turned into a mechanical side game. It's analogous to what Bioware does with its games' characters and it sucks.

It would be a lot better if certain choices during the game got you different, mutually exclusive bits of info on the characters, and if you were never sure you had gotten all the info there was to know about the characters.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I don't like the whole completion percentage in the character profiles section. It encourages metagaming, and it means we get all available info on a character in a single playthrough.

It does?

20795.jpg

[quote name='H

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I don't like the whole completion percentage in the character profiles section. It encourages metagaming, and it means we can get all available info on a character in a single playthrough.

No it doesn't. Here's how you actually metagame with character profiles:

• Open your browser.
  • Go to "gamefaqs.com"
  • Type "Alpha Protocol" into the search engine
  • Go to the "FAQs" section
  • Open the "Character Profiles" FAQ, which will probably be there within a week of release.

Boom. "Metagaming" complete.

I don't post if I don't have anything to say, which I guess makes me better than the rest of your so-called "community." 8)

Your boss (at least I think he's your boss) is black, how stereotypical.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

So, SIE is German and blonde, how stereotypical.

Are you really concerned about hair color when it comes to stereotypes?

I believe the 'concern" is that it's a blond German, being that the "perfect" people, according to der F

Oh ffs, she's blonde because it looks better on her.

The ridiculous attire and 'sweetie' lines are much worse than the hair colour, really. I probably wouldn't mind without those shades.