Let's Play: Jagged Alliance 2

So in light of our recent thread on Let's Play threads, I was thinking of starting a new game of Jagged Alliance 2, but letting you guys play it with me.

The idea would be that you guys would make all the strategic decisions, what mercs to hire, how to equip the teams, what sectors to take, what weapons to buy, how many militia to train, which sectors to defend etc and so forth. ALso maybe the larger tactical decisions when attacking sectors. I'll post screenies showing what options are available and the state of the world and so forth and wait for you guys to make the call on what to do next.

Obviously, I'll have to handle all the battles on my own and post screenies and give you results afterwards. You'll just have to trust that I know what I am doing. :)

I'll set some basic ground rules to make the game interesting and use the current 1.13 mod.

But before I do all that I just want to see if at least some of you would be interested in playing along. I'll explain things as we go so no previous experience of Jag 2 would be required or expected. The basic gameplay is pretty straight forward anyway.

These threada are a lot of work and Jag 2 can be a long game, but I promise I will do my best to finish it.

So would you be interested?

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

For example:

Day 1:

We have $30,000. The following mercs are available. If you want more info on a particular merc let me know and I will post their personal screenie.

edit: I might have to figure out how to do the screenies better. Although our version will be in 8*6 or 1024*768. This one is 640*480.

post-378-1244248982_thumb.png

Edited by CrashGirl
Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Sure! :)

awesome.

I would give more background and stuff before we start so everyone has a sense of what si going on and what is it stake!

The first screenie was just for example and testing purposes.

testing 1024*768

post-378-1244249883_thumb.png

Isn't there something about it not being a hot idea to select tons of guns in 1.13? I seem to remember that I got proverbially flooded with guns. The normal setting is the equivalent of tons of guns in the 1.12 game :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Isn't there something about it not being a hot idea to select tons of guns in 1.13? I seem to remember that I got proverbially flooded with guns. The normal setting is the equivalent of tons of guns in the 1.12 game :)

Tons of guns = tons of funs! :)

test option 2.

jag21.png

******I've decided to ahead and START. Yay! Please feel free to play along as you see fit.*********

OK. SO here's the deal.

We are a small highly trained and professional mercenary team that has been hired by a deposed ruler of a small third world country called Arulco. He wants us to go in and remove the current dictator, Queen Deidranna, from power so he can return as the rightful ruler. All the funding he can provide wil be given to us up front. ANy other money we need will have to be acquired while we are in country. Most likely through the mining operations scattered through the country.

Our starting cash will be needed to hire an initial team of professional mercenaries to go in and secure our first toehold in the country.

Please review the following recon report excerpts on Arulco carefully. They will be uploaded shortly

Edited by CrashGirl

These are the excerpts from the recon report providing background on the country we will be "visiting".

Please review for your own safety and awareness.

jag22.png

jag23.png

jag24.png

Edited by CrashGirl

I will be posting screenies in a mix of thumbnails and photobucket images. The photobucket images are a bit easier to see and read but I only have so much bandwidth and storage space. So. If some image messes up the thread plz let me know.

Jagged Alliance 2... PURE AWESOME! MOAR! :ermm:

And away we go! :)

Edited by CrashGirl

How long do you usually hire mercs for? Just thinking about the budget.

I never leave home without Grunty.

On a side note - If budget allows, I try to fit in Igor too as a second gun besides a medic and a mechanic (Steroid be damned).

Some day, Igor and Ivan shall fight together and together immortalise the Dolvich name :ermm:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Great idea! Did you already choose your mercs? I see you reincarnated Snake, good choice.

Are you using a money cheat? I think we need to hire Wals, I mean Sidney.

How long do you usually hire mercs for? Just thinking about the budget.

I never leave home without Grunty.

On a side note - If budget allows, I try to fit in Igor too as a second gun besides a medic and a mechanic (Steroid be damned).

Some day, Igor and Ivan shall fight together and together immortalise the Dolvich name :ermm:

You guys get to choose the mercs! I hope you will anyway. If not, I'll pick some.

I'll put you a screenie of available mercs in a bit.

SOme basic house rules (just to keep things interesting):

We will be playing using the 1.13 mod on expert level (no, we are NOT doing INSANE). The Queen has been given unlimited forces and set to agressive mode.

We will be playing NO RELOADS. Except in the event of a crash or other major bug. If a merc dies they are gone for good. Lost battles will have to be dealt with as neccessary. IF we run out of money and can't pay the mercs, we probably lose. (Although not neccessarily).

We will have one lead merc who is user created and in charge of the operation in the field. IF that merc dies, the war is over.

Because of these difficulty enhancing factors, we will be starting with considerably more cash and better weapons then is normal. However, once our starting funds run out we will be dependent as always on acquiring sufficient capital through our operations in country.

We will begin looking at our budget and considering our initial mercenaries hires shortly.

Edited by CrashGirl

Waiting for the budget :ermm:

Enrico has funded us with $1,000,000 USD to commence the operation.

Although that seems like a lot of money at first, I warn you that we will be facing heavy oppostion immediately and will most likely suffer setbacks to our income acquiring operations. We should plan on having to live off this money for a considerable time. Probably 3 months at least.

Anyway, we do have a great deal of freedom in choosing our starting team. All available mercs can be signed for 1 day, 1 week or 2 week contracts. Generally there is a price break on 2 week contracts, although how much of a break depends on the merc. Also note that mercs on 2 wees contracts will always make themselves available for a contract extension. Mercs on one day or one week contracts may make other plans and not be available for an extension.

In choosing our initial mercs we also need to make sure we have the basics of field operations covered at least: medic, explosives, repair, leadership and training.

We will be using the Association of Internation Mercenaries as our contact for our mercenaries.

The following AIM roster is currently available. Those who are not available we cna leave messages for, and if they return alive from other assignments we can hire them on later.

Please peruse the following and consider who would make the best additions to the team. If you want more info on mercenaries, let me know and I will post their current stats, gear, and bio.

jag25.png

Edited by CrashGirl

Here are some sample bios.

Ice: A good all round middle of the road merc.

post-378-1244260134_thumb.png

Edited by CrashGirl

Sully: A high end merc. All stats range from 0-100 and can be imrpoved through use and training

post-378-1244260219_thumb.png

MD: A newbie just getting his feet wet. Doesn't cost much. Low stats except for med, but a High wisdom indicates he will learn fast if given a chance.

Or he may just die quickly.

post-378-1244260352_thumb.png

Just for convenience, the starting numbers hiding behind the pretty faces:

If anybody wants it sorted or colour coded in a particular way, just tell me.

mercstats.jpg

That's awesome, GOrth. I had no idea how to get all the info up there.

Fantastic.

In choosing our initial mercs we also need to make sure we have the basics of field operations covered at least: medic, explosives, repair, leadership and training.

Wouldn't our main protagonist be responsible for the leadership part? I think he/she should stay put in a safe place and train militias if we auto-lose the game by said persons death :ermm:

Ira is free and a decent teacher (can teach the grunts some basic medics). Dimitri is also free and a fair mechanic.

A couple of personal favourites for positions are Vicki, Wolf & Trevor for mechanic, Barry & Red & Fidel for explosives and Cliff, MD & Spider for medics.

Generally, Wolf seems to offer the best jack of all trades for the money (imho).