Please dont ruin Fallout 3 Vegas

I've been disappointed with Knights of the Old Republic 2, while I loved the original.

I've been MAJORLY disappointed with Neverwinter Nights 2, while the original was decent, not great.

So basically I'm begging you guys to not release Fallout 3 Vegas in the same shape as the other games.

I understand the pressures of a distributor making you release games early and I also believe Obsidian has some of the best story-telling skills in the RPG business. I just really want to like you guys and even though after NWN2 I swore I'd never buy a title from you again, getting the Fallout 3 Vegas license made you guys impossible to ignore :lol:

From one Orange County dude to another, please release it when it is 100% finished and polished.

Obsidian managed to create a sequel to a game in a mere 15 month that was at least on par with it's original.

From the technical point of view, K2 had many more problems than The Original Trilogy Remake KOTOR 1 had. But from the artistic point of view, TSL owned K1's existance and threw it right here:

1472922237_c0480dcf67.jpg

Edited by Sharen the Exile

M4-78 Enhancement Project :: www.m4-78ep.deadlystream.com

banneranimatedlucasforu.gif

Discuss the M4-78EP, Sleheyron Restoration Project, KotOR: Revenge of Revan and more! Join Deadly Stream Forums today!

Stop posting pictures of my house. :verymad:

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

"Obsidian managed to create a sequel to a game in a mere 15 month that was at least on par with it's original."

Not quite. And, not that impressive, considering A LOT of the work was already done for them. *shrug*

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"Obsidian managed to create a sequel to a game in a mere 15 month that was at least on par with it's original."

Not quite. And, not that impressive, considering A LOT of the work was already done for them. *shrug*

Look, I know the title is provocative, I know most were expecting some bashing, I know most wanted a long point-by-point thread comparing the games of years past...but why? People know the truth, it's all out there for most to see anyways.

My problem isn't that I think Obsidian is capable of making a great game. I have a lot of respect for the guys because:

1. NWN2's story was FAR superior than the original. The graphics were far superior, it used DnD 3.5 in a great way, I really enjoyed the manual and the game if it worked was quite a good game. Not game of the year, but very good.

Sadly my problem isn't so much with the production of the game but the way it was released. I am not in the corporate know, so I don't know who to blame, the publisher or the devs, but being a centrist I figured I'd just blame both equally.

NWN2 was released with some of the worst bugs I've seen in a live product. All though this might have been fixed by now, when it was released a lot were very upset that a game was unplayable yet was released to the whole wide market.

Check out the user comments on: www.metacritic.com

2. KOTOR2 again has a great story, the graphics were improved from the original, not light speed ahead, and Obsidian added new things that I thought was awesome, like more fully customizable weapons and NCP disposition towards you, that changes if you do stuff they don't like. (NWN2 had that also, which is a very awesome touch of realism)

Again though, I bought the game when it was released and it was unplayable out of the box. It crashed constantly and even though my comp was MORE than capable of running the game, it still ran like crap (Same with NWN2)

Again, this might of all been fixed but to release a game that has many game breaking bugs is sort of an insult to the customer that pays full price for a game they want to play when they get home.

------

I've heard many theories about why the games were released when they were, who was to blame, blah blah blah, it doesn't change the fact of what happened.

Trust me, I really do realize Obsidian's excellence is making games, I just hope for Fallout 3 Vegas they release it when they are 100% happy with it.

I'm not here to bash them, but to just let them know that I am counting on them for a third time to be the developers I want them to be, and hopefully not let me down a third time.

If people are curious as to what experiences of the previously mentioned games I'm referring to, I suggest you goto www.metacritic.com and read the USER reviews for a game. Or if you know another site where gamers/users offer reviews, I suggest that. The reason I am wary of magazine reviews is that when they reviewed the game, they were told it was a pre-release build and all of the bugs wouldn't be live, so the Mag reviewer took the game at face value thinking everything would be working fine when released. Sadly that didn't happen, though 1up.com got their review dead on.

Ok, I just did the work for you:

Neverwinter Nights 2 user reviews: http://apps.metacritic.com//games/usercomm...kz6FBEiXZ2TdA**

KOTOR 2 review from theforce.net talking about the game when released: http://www.theforce.net/jedicouncil/editorials/030405.asp

These are just to clue people in who might not know what I am talking about. All of it is old news and I dont want to stir up anything, but context needs to be established and mistakes from the past must not be repeated

Added: I'm really happy with what I see Obsidian doing lately. First off, BT as music scorer for Alpha ProtocoL? I LOVE BT! Saw him spin a few times live and what a treat! The music is in great hands.

Read the Chris Avellone Q and A and I respect that man a lot.

I'm very stubborn....very stubborn and petty, but I'm going to put all my eggs in one basket and get my hopes up for Fallout 3 Vegas.

(BTW, I thought Fallout 3 as is was pretty boring)

One last note, Obsidian, I live in OC too and know Santa Ana pretty well. If you ever need a play tester or someone to shoot the **** with, I'm your guy ;)

Obsidian managed to create a sequel to a game in a mere 15 month that was at least on par with it's original.

From the technical point of view, K2 had many more problems than The Original Trilogy Remake KOTOR 1 had. But from the artistic point of view, TSL owned K1's existance and threw it right here:

TSL has been released? Oh, wait, I'm thinking of that fan expansion pack. NM.

Edited by Krezack

It seems to me that you've condemned two superb games for no other reason than bugs.

I am getting shriekingly tired of people whinging about bugs. A newly released game of any complexity seems to come with bugs as standard, and I can see why. You can't possibly test for all the things that may happen across the entire range of players and platforms. So long as updates happen eventually, and in reasonable time, ok. To expect otherwise would be to saddle devs with an unreasonable standard, and delay games by months and you STILL wouldn't spot all the bugs.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

It seems to me that you've condemned two superb games for no other reason than bugs.

I am getting shriekingly tired of people whinging about bugs. A newly released game of any complexity seems to come with bugs as standard, and I can see why. You can't possibly test for all the things that may happen across the entire range of players and platforms. So long as updates happen eventually, and in reasonable time, ok. To expect otherwise would be to saddle devs with an unreasonable standard, and delay games by months and you STILL wouldn't spot all the bugs.

I dunno about that.

There's game with bugs. True. Like all games. To some degree. As you say.

And there are seriously BUGGY games.

Thet former is OK. The latter is not ok if I am coughing up $50 USD for your professionally created product.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

When KotOR I came out, it was probably about as buggy, if not moreso.

KotOR II is still perfectly playable. Almost all the times th game has crashed on me were due to mod issues.

Edited by Darth InSidious

This particularly rapid, unintelligible patter isn't generally heard, and if it is, it doesn't matter.

I'm sorry but that is one of the most r-tard things I ever effing heard. Can I cuss in this forum? LOL

That too me is like buying a car with bad tires that fall off, but the manufacturer will replace them in about 6 months when they work the kinks out, so it is cool to drive it until then because they'll eventually get it, right? Laff

I've condemned many more games because of bugs and I will continue to condemn games that are released full of bugs.

Too all the people who said they are enjoying the games now totally didn't read what I said. Yes now they are playable, but at launch they were not.

Facts are facts regardless of whether you love a company or not.

I'm not going to bull**** and blow smoke up someones ass just because. I'm going to speak the truth and like it or not, it's the least I can do for you.

Also, you mentioned the work it causes for a Dev to fix all the bugs and you seem to think it's ok if they can't spot them all. Do you know how much clinical trials go into manufacturing a drug before it hits the market? Do you know how much money is spent on testing in the world of airplane jet engines? Do you know that a long QA is the RIGHT way to do things? It's not the fast way, it's not the easy way, it's the RIGHT ****ING WAY!

To have this passive attitude like you do isn't something the Devs want. They also want long QA so you can put more polish and fix everything little thing. They don't want to release games that are buggy and they don't agree with what you are saying. Sure you seem to have fanboi butt sex status, but you aren't doing them any favors by decrying a method of testing that all companies go through.