Topics for Cretins: Fallout 3

I have Fallout 3. I have played it thrice over. I now wonder if there are any mods or other upgrades to make it replayable.

Answer my question!

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

When i have ca$h to spend on a new PC, i'll play Fallout 3 with the Compendium and whichever mods from this list aren't conflicting with it, especially:

Game Play

The Fallout 3 Compendium by Dubby

Closer to Classics - Hitpoints by Alexander Strahan

Energy Weapons Overhaul by Joolander

Classic AP and Carry Weight by Starke

Classic Skill Books by exoromeo

Finally Turnbased by Jedidia

Explosive Entry by Lap

Killable Children V1-2 by Neclipse

Killable NPC by Merijn

Nostalgia

CLOSE TO FALLOUT - Cursor plus Crosshair by MaFFej

Fallout 3 Item Descriptions by Mikael Grizzly

Classic Wasteland Creatures Retexture FalloutRaven

Classic Advanced Power Armor by Lexx

Classic Combat Shotgun Lexx

Classic Spear by Lexx

Cats Paw Bobblehead replacement by Lexx

Classic Laser Rifle FX by Lexx

Classic Fallout Weapons BETA by War1982

Classic P94 Plasma Rifle ver 2 by DaiShi

No karma messages by ziher

No Karma for Stealing Yam Nad

Original Combat Armour by MikaelGrizzly

Classic MEC Gauss Minigun by DaiShi

Classic Tesla Metal ArmorDaiShi

Classic YK42B Pulse Rifle by DaiShi

Classic HK L30 Gatling Laser by DaiShi

Combat shotgun retexture Joolander

Other:

Tricking enemies with your armor by iliary_rus

No More Car Explosions by Mikael Grizzly

GTS - Global Travel System by Yossaria22

although to be honest, i'm more eager to play New Vegas than replay fallout 3. I hope it will be easily moddable as well, and that there will be a modding kit for it.

Edited by Ziggy the Atomic Granpa

I just went to the FO3 nexus, and liked the interface but HATE the mods! Everyone seems hellbent on ruining the style of the game by making everything as shiny as possible, and covering it in boobs. this seems a colossal waste of time. I couldn't be downloading teh mods if I didn't have the internet, and therefore if I want boobs... make it cool. Make it post-apocalyptic. Hell, make it 1950s. But don't turn my bloody game into *rant rant rant*

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I'm only using three mods. None of which make any changes to tthe gameplay.

1) a slower leveling mod: reduced XP for combat and a much greater increase in XP needed as you gain levels. I don't know how anyone can play FO3 withotu some sort of slow leveling mod.

2) a mod that chnages my character size based on STR and END. Characters with high STR and END values are bigger than everyone else and vice versa. I love it.

3) A mod that makes the pipboy slightly brighter and more powerful which allows me to actually see in some of the darker areas now.

I looked through a lot of mods and didn't find much that was worth installing. A lot of the combat mods are unneccessary if you play in RT. The combat is already hard enough.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I just went to the FO3 nexus, and liked the interface but HATE the mods! Everyone seems hellbent on ruining the style of the game by making everything as shiny as possible, and covering it in boobs. this seems a colossal waste of time. I couldn't be downloading teh mods if I didn't have the internet, and therefore if I want boobs... make it cool. Make it post-apocalyptic. Hell, make it 1950s. But don't turn my bloody game into *rant rant rant*

There are some outstanding mods on Nexus, and yes, also a bunch of crap. I'd recommend:

Here's my list:

Fallout3.esm

Anchorage.esm

Mart's Mutant Mod.esm <This is one of my favorites. Adds new mobs, increases spawn, and adds ghoul zergs which can get very nasty very fast. Highly recommended.

CALIBR.esm < Adds real world ammunition, used with the sniper mod.

ThePitt.esm

BrokenSteel.esm

Mart's Mutant Mod.esp

Mart's Mutant Mod - Increased Spawns.esp

Mart's Mutant Mod - Zones Respawn.esp < This respawns interior areas with mobs. SuperDuper Mart will always have raiders, for example.

Mart's Mutant Mod - Feral Ghoul Rampage.esp

Mart's Mutant Mod - Tougher Traders.esp < buffs the caravan traders...they can still die though.

1alexscorpionsnipergear.esp <Excellent sniper rifle, well textured. I us it more for the nice scope zoom feature. I recommend this as well.

pen1.esp < this is one of my tweak mods. Slightly reduces damage and increases magazine size.

Slower Levelling - slower.esp < Dramatically increases the amount of XP needed to advance. Several levels are included.

GalaxyNewsRadio100[M].esp < MUST HAVE! Adds 90 era songs, from the 40's and 50's to teh GNR play list. Thredd Dog now breaks in after about 10 songs.

Thunder2.esp < a mini rocket launcher, with scarce ammo.

Mart's Mutant Mod - Hunting & Looting.esp

So, the slower leveling mod paces the game nicely. The MMM mod makes combat a bit more interesting with larger spawns and more varied mobs. GNR100 makes the radio much more interesting.

Morgoth, I don't want to be rude, but you're saying no mod could possibly make Fallout interesting? What about a mod which introduces three new plotlines, 100 well crafted NPCs, and teh ability to form a barbershop quartet with you, a supermutant, and dogmeat?

I like the sound of the GNR100 mod. I'm downloading it now.

BTW, how come there's no mods to make people uglier as well as prettier?

-Elwood Blues

BTW, how come there's no mods to make people uglier as well as prettier?

'

Its a Bethesda game: ugly is the norm.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I've been testing the Alternative Soundtrack mod which can be found here: http://www.metaltracks.tk/claymore/fallout_3.html

This is a mod composed by (among others) people who also did music for Storm of Zehir as well as the NWN2: Purgatorio mod. The goal was to produce a more post-apocalyptic atmosphere through the soundtrack, and I for one think this is *far* better than the original soundtrack. Some tracks are reminiscant of the Fallout 1 & 2 soundtracks, some are a bit more "tribal" and rythmic. All together it feels much more hostile (in a subtle way) than the Fallout 3 soundtrack.

Highly recommended.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I'm using the Better Companions mod, Better Caravans mod, the one that makes the sky blue, and the pre-beta of The Settler(not available, but will be a must have when its released). I had the Foundation mod until the newer patch made mods not work. Hadn't played it before patching but heard its really good.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

-The Fake Patch (in lieu of the awful official 1.5 patch)

-Unofficial Patch (additional bugfixes the official patches never touched)

-Real Injuries (More or less a return to Doctor Skill)

-Real Injuries: Sleep (Adjust how sleeping heals you and your limbs. Pick between oblivion or morrowind systems or neither)

-No Stupid Explosive Cars

-Power Armor Training from multiple sources

-Phalanx: Obedient Dogmeat (you change his combat behaviors a la Fallout 2 followers)

-Upgraded Caravan Merchants (Investing in canturbury commons will add guards and equipment to caravans so they are better protected)

-Explosive Entry (blow up locks with explosives like in the originals)

-Roy Phillips Evil w/ Mask (No longer lose karma for killing a jerk, you can get the mask off of his dead body now)

-Crippler (Increases cripple effects and I think adds falldown effects to crippled legs)

-WRWC (Goes even further by making you unable to use two handed weapons with a crippled arm or any weapons with both crippled arms)

-0h Followers Hire (Hire followers by charisma a la Fallout 2)

-Chem After Effects

-Weighted Ammo

-Real Frag Grenade physics

-No VATS slowmo

-Traits

-XFO (overhaul mod, pick and choose individual modules. One bit allows you to keep flat damage rates on individual weapons and have skill affect ONLY accuracy instead of levelling up magically making guns hurt more, which is my favorite)

-Darnified UI

Experimental

-Finally Turnbased (buggy, but from a design and gameplay perspective works surprisingly well)

I have a mod in the works that changes the skill point formula and base skills to something closer to Fallout 1, but rebalanced for Fallout 3.

Since Fo3's skills go up to 100 instead of 200 and there are 13 skills instead of 18 I did it like this:

(3 + Int) * .70

Tag skills increase by 2 per point and get an initial bonus of 10.

Base skills are adjusted to be more like Fo1- for example big guns and energy weapons start off incredibly low, but most other combat skills start off somewhat higher (unarmed specifically gets a huge boost) The luck bonus is unchanged, so it's slightly more forgiving than it sounds. Still, someone with an INT of 1 will end up a bit screwed when it comes to levelling up. Not as much as you'd probably think, though.

I also rebalanced someone else's perk/trait mod to work with it, and I'm waiting for permission for it before I make mine available.

Edited by bhlaab

All very interesting. Glad it's proven so popular as a question.

-Elwood Blues

http://fo3settler.webs.com/

The beta for the settler mod was posted recently. Haven't played it yet, but based on the alpha it should be pretty damn good.

Edited by Oerwinde
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

The site is horribly slow and buggy - but wow, interesting idea!

I gave up on Fallout initially, but this thread inspired me to give it another go (and install a bunch of mods) and I must say I'm having a great time with it actually.. I got all the expansions too and that was a good idea (Broken Steel especially since it allows you to continue playing and see the changes you made come to life).

The mods I've installed are:

CALIBR

FOOK (str requirements, tougher enemies, Owned, Additional Armor Training)

Enhanced Weather

Galaxy News Radio mod

UPP (perk mod, really cool)

Slower Degradation (80%)

Tchos Vault 101 sealed Wing (gives you a part of V101 as personal residence)

Some hair and eyes mods

Better Butler mod (plastic surgery etc)

Fellout

Project Beauty

- Trying the Settler Mod now..

Fortune favors the bald.

Is it good that developers release tools so that the fan community can improve games?

Or is it bad that developers release games that require the user community to improve the game?

Is it good that developers release tools so that the fan community can improve games?

Or is it bad that developers release games that require the user community to improve the game?

It's great they release the tools, but a shame that you have to depend on user content to enjoy the vanilla game.. but that's really the case for a lot of games I think - I can't play any of the Total War games or Mount and Blade without mods.. Still I think it's great that mods can extent the lifetime of games several years and I think it's extremely interesting that this trend is growing.

Also - The Settler is absolutely great - it does feels a little artificial at times, but it's fun to build a thriving village! I've already got a small community going with hunters looking for food and builders expanding the village..

Fortune favors the bald.

I can't play any of the Total War games or Mount and Blade without mods.
This applies to me. At least as far as second and subsequent playthroughs go, unless the game is already old enough to have good mods available for it when I first get it. I think it's awesome and it extends the life of games quite a lot... I actually installed and played through KotOR again just because of this. So little time... :thumbsup:

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

In the case of bethesda, I think releasing the tools so the fan community can improve the experience IS the idea. It's very much a philosophy of, it's the players game.

Bethesda just iterate the design to a point they feel it is fun... Everyone has a different idea of what is fun. Bethesda atleast facilitate this.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!