E3 preview

Thorton... Thornton... maybe just call him 'Mike'? :)

One of the safehouse trophies we have involves one of your trainers misspelling your name as "Thornton". Kind of an in-joke after seeing too many previews make the mistake. Still, it's an understandable error.

Matthew Rorie

The feeling of choice is extended to boss battles. Some are optional, and their triggering depends simply on whether you choose to attack them or not. We were shown a fight against a Russian woman who Thornton had previously allied with, but turned on. As the fight progresses, the woman kind of gets turned on, as it becomes apparent that combat gets her engine revved. However, you come out victorious and can choose to kill her or make up with her. Obsidian chose "make up" and Thornton starts hitting on her. He says he's a lover and not a fighter, to which she replies, "I've seen your fighting. Your love-making? Hmmm."

This line is so cheesy it's awesome.

Players will be able to use these hints to better craft their relationships, as well as look at their "Intel" menu screen to pull up dossiers on each encountered character, which flesh out during the game and can be full of useful info when talking to or fighting.

Is it possible to get false information in a dossier because Mike misinterpreted the character's motives for some reason? That would be fun.

Edited by H
20795.jpg

to sum up the important bits:

- 25+ hour gameplay

- The game is still in Alpha stage

- Clothes, facial-feature and hairstyle customization that is actually relevant to the type of a mission you take

- Memorabilia from characters and missions decorating Mike's safe houses while the game progresses

- The game lets you know how the NPCs response to your conversation style: menu screen with dossiers on each encountered character

- Boss battles are optional

- Choices, choices, choices! =D

- Destructoid thinks that everything in Mass Effect and Fallout 3 apart from dialog options, customizations and looting sucked hah.gif

M4-78 Enhancement Project :: www.m4-78ep.deadlystream.com

banneranimatedlucasforu.gif

Discuss the M4-78EP, Sleheyron Restoration Project, KotOR: Revenge of Revan and more! Join Deadly Stream Forums today!

"If you're on a mission to meet someone at a coffee shop, you need to dress in everyday clothing, but if you're going into a combat mission, you'd be wise to wear armour."

Good, good, GOOD.

Obsid, I love you.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

"If you're on a mission to meet someone at a coffee shop, you need to dress in everyday clothing, but if you're going into a combat mission, you'd be wise to wear armour."

Good, good, GOOD.

Obsid, I love you.

We have an inventory including armour slots?

This gets better and better!

Huh, well I think it looks like fun. The main thing that bothers me with the animations is when they're transitioning into one another. It's appearant in this video with the stealth kill, the transition to the animation doesn't feel smooth even though the animation itself looks fine. It also still feels really easy, and we can clearly see in this video that Mike is *not* invulnerable in it. I know they're promoting a choice of playstyles, but I suppose I really want a specific *reason* to use stealth to bypass combat (aside from that some NPCs may like it and some may not). I want to be able to get into serious trouble if I'm spotted. If the enemies are mainly fodder then the stealth element loses its thrill.

I think the dialogue looks fun as hell now actually. I'm not the biggest fan of the keyword thing, but it seems AP will be doing it much more right than Mass Effect for example. It's fun to watch and I'm sure it will be fun to play if the game is as reactive as they say.

Think it looks good overall.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Maybe not invulnerable, but probably haxxed up with lots of HP and/or ridiculously good armor. They don't want a character dying and upsetting the flow of a media presentation if the person running the demo messes up, so I'm sure they take precautions.

I like how big the level appears to be. The string of objectives, though, seems to be leading the player on a rather linear path through the level. Is is possible to take a more exploratory path and address objectives in a different order?

I know they're promoting a choice of playstyles, but I suppose I really want a specific *reason* to use stealth to bypass combat

I don't know, the game is supposed to be fun for people who likes stealth AND people who likes gunning, so the two should be equally playable.

Plus, in the recent videos we've seen, the character was obviously made for gunning : in the character sheet, we saw that he chose to specialize in shotguns, guns and martial combat (you know, he had the fifteen slots opened for those three instead of 10). That must be why it appeared so easy, with the obvious invulnerable cheat that was being used (he took hits, yet didn't lose any health points).

I know they're promoting a choice of playstyles, but I suppose I really want a specific *reason* to use stealth to bypass combat

I don't know, the game is supposed to be fun for people who likes stealth AND people who likes gunning, so the two should be equally playable.

Plus, in the recent videos we've seen, the character was obviously made for gunning : in the character sheet, we saw that he chose to specialize in shotguns, guns and martial combat (you know, he had the fifteen slots opened for those three instead of 10). That must be why it appeared so easy, with the obvious invulnerable cheat that was being used (he took hits, yet didn't lose any health points).

On the floor of E3 we had two different demos, showing the different ways to go through the same level. One demoer would play the gunning route, while the other would play the stealth route.

Let me get back to sleeping. I'm tired...

I believe the run'n'gun player also had high toughness on top of seriously bumped up weapons skills. Toughness adds health and damage reduction (we're still tweaking numbers for balance). Plus, Nathan has probably played that level well over 100 times.

Ooh. In between the terrible audio quality and stupid questions, there's some new info in there on one of the character-creation possibilities, starting right around the 7:15 mark. Apparently there is a "Recruit" option (class? background?) that give no bonuses to skills, but provides interestingly different role-playing possibilities.

Edited by Enoch