AP Should be on G4 sometime today...

I don't know the exact schedule, but the segment that we recorded for G4 should be airing sometime today. I think sometime around the EA press conference. I'm sure it will be put online at some point soon, as well.

Matthew Rorie

I saw Matthew's demo on G4 earlier today. We should really have a first person option, so I don't have to look at Thorton running around like a dork all the time. Plus it would avoid unfavorable comparisons to SC: Conviction.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Dun dun dun: http://e3.g4tv.com/videos/38670/Alpha-Prot...o-from-E3-2009/

The dialogue segments look good, and I think the timer is a good choice if you really have to have the keyword stuff. The action looks... I dunno. Sorta fun. But as always in these types of games, it's just hard for me to accept that this dude can run and gun everything down. It just looks strange, but whatever. I really hope that this game can provide a real challenge.

Also, I think movement looks very er... "twitchy"? Doesn't feel like there is real weight behind the character and movement. It's sort of flailing around.

Maybe that bit (and aiming and all that) would feel better on the PC. I always have trouble for these kinds of games (and FPS games) on consoles.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Also, I think movement looks very er... "twitchy"? Doesn't feel like there is real weight behind the character and movement. It's sort of flailing around.

It's disorienting, yeah. I find that its a common problem in UE3 games. Bioshock had the exact same issue.

Also weird how Thorton doesn't have to touch a door to blow it open.

I hope you have to actually use some cover in the game, that was pretty ridiculous with MT simply striding through bullets and mowing people down. That's gameplay I'd expect while using a special ability, not standard.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

Yup, looks like a cakewalk. Way too easy. I expected the AI opponents to put up a fight, force you to use cover, but they're very static. The demo way on easy difficulty level, right? :p

I find that its a common problem in UE3 games. Bioshock had the exact same issue.

I doubt it has anything to do with the engine, both UT3 and Gears of War offer a proper 'feeling' of character weight. Even Mass Effect does a decent job of that, at least when your weapon is drawn. My guess is that it's all about the animations and details like walking/running speed, amplitude of steps, view bob, and that sort of stuff.

"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes

i believe he was invulnerable for the demo.

That would probably explain a lot. I really wish previews would mention this though, it kinda gives a faulty view of the game.

Forgot to mention before but the level looks pretty great. I really like what Matthew is saying about how endgames can be completely different depending on your choices. I really hope the choice aspect of the game comes through. It was actually a great feature of Mysteries of Westgate, where you could get completely different ending gameplay segments depending on how you choose

The only thing that I would complain about is the "rawr I kill everything with no problem" (which again, might be due to invulnerability here) and the fact that turning Thorton around and stuff is really sort of "twitchy". Some animations have great weight in them, but when he's just running and turning back and forth it looks a bit to light.

EDIT: Actually yeah, there doesn't appear to be any indication of him losing health or anything, so.

Edited by Starwars

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I have to admit the gameplay looked kind of goofy. I'd like to say it was just infinite health, but eh.

-Doors, it almost looks like he's clipping through them sometimes

-Missing with the CQC or punching enemies during the death animation without results. I realize this isn't fight night, but . . .

-Dual SMGs/PDWs, just . . . yeah. The cyclic rate looks low, muzzle flash is a little strange, recoil?

-Movement looks jerky, as if it was an attempt to make gameplay "fast" at the expense of realism and presentation. The game will go through some canned animation that looks good, then enter crack monkey mode once free movement starts again.

I'm critical because I care.

Yeah, the game didn't seem to be that smooth in the trailer. Not sure why but there definitely needs to be some polishing done on that. The SMGs...well I could bash them but seeing as I wont be wasting my time with them anyway we'll just leave it at that. Definitely many clipping issues from the look of it but I do like how u can crouch run (a la gears of war). Even though the gameplay left something to be desired I do approve of the faster paced style of action that Obsidian is going for.

Plenty of time till October so I expect that the gameplay could only get better at this point. Take your time Obsidian, you only have one chance to get this right.

Edited by Fearless_Jedi

"Some people are always trying to iceskate uphill."

Blade(Wesley Snipes) from the movie Blade.

Edited for content

"The first human who hurled an insult instead of a stone was the founder of civilization." - Sigmund Freud

That run animation is god awful. Muzzle flash is too big. Movement feels extremely jerky and weightless... seriously, make it somewhat smoother at the very least.

Edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

That run animation is god awful. Muzzle flash is too big. Movement feels extremely jerky and weightless... seriously, make it somewhat smoother at the very least.

The demoer was using an active ability for the SMGs called Bullet Storm. Tis why his muzzle flash was bigger.

Let me get back to sleeping. I'm tired...

Weird, because I've seen other parts of the game with the same muzzle flash. Must be an ability you use a lot.

Animation is my main problem with it though. Explosions and SFX, as well as discussion animations look great, but the combat seems jerky.

Edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Man, you guys are harsh. I bet your girlfriends hate you. :blink:

Anyway, it's important to remember that WATCHING someone else play (or even worse just looking at frozen screenies) is ALWAYS a very different feel than when you are actually in the driver's seat and playing the game.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Anyway, it's important to remember that WATCHING someone else play (or even worse just looking at frozen screenies) is ALWAYS a very different feel than when you are actually in the driver's seat and playing the game.

Is this really true for everyone? Personally, I feel I get a very good impression of how most games handle by watching gameplay videos.

Man, you guys are harsh. I bet your girlfriends hate you. :blink:

Again, I'm critical because I care :aiee:

Is this really true for everyone? Personally, I feel I get a very good impression of how most games handle by watching gameplay videos.

Games are meant to be played, not watched. IF you're not actually playing the game, you not experiencing it the way it will be intended.

Its easy to be hyper-critical in that instance, of things that you will never even notice once you start playing.

Screenshots are especially bad for a game, because no one plays a game as a bunch of frozen moments.

Most of the comments on this thread fall into that category,

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.