Genetics

Walsingham

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/scienceandtechn...nsons-cure.html

Glow in the dark transgenic marmosets.

Now, apart from the fact that is an awesome statement in itself, I want to ask: am I the only person who reads that and immediately wants this technology applied to his children?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/scienceandtechn...nsons-cure.html

Glow in the dark transgenic marmosets.

Now, apart from the fact that is an awesome statement in itself, I want to ask: am I the only person who reads that and immediately wants this technology applied to his children?

They also made glow in the dark puppies.

It's cool and all, but I want super smart and super awesome children, you can keep your glowy children.

Edited by Purkake

Children are evil. Who wants super smart evil children? I want mine glowing, so I can see the sneaky little buggers.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Children are evil. Who wants super smart evil children? I want mine glowing, so I can see the sneaky little buggers.

But if they're super smart, you can kick them out by the age of 5 and save a ton of money.

They will rule the streets of Rotterdam /Ender's Shadow reference

But if they're super smart, you can kick them out by the age of 5 and save a ton of money.

They will rule the streets of Rotterdam /Ender's Shadow reference

Like hell. The swines would certainly kick me out.

-Elwood Blues

Like hell. The swines would certainly kick me out.

That's always a risk. You'll just have to kick them out when you can still overpower them or at least distract them with shiny objects.

You could also try this

Edited by Purkake

Hold right ****ing on. Are you saying that I can glow in the dark?

-Elwood Blues

Hold right ****ing on. Are you saying that I can glow in the dark?

lol. With gene therapy I imagine it's possible. Gene therapy isn't fun, though. Gene therapy is the only somatic engineering I'm aware of, and it's pretty limited because it's so hard to get right (and needs repetition to prevent reversion). For example, you need to inject a virus that replicates the new DNA you want, or give yourself a 24th chromosome.

No, I was more thinking of you being able to glow in the dark if they mutated you early enough in development (i.e. before being born). This new development is such that one's offspring can be mutated and then their offspring will carry he mutation 'naturally' (I actually thought this was already possible, so I presume this advancement is actually a refinement of earlier techniques, making them more reliable, predictable, etc).

If I'm wrong and this is about somatic engineering rather than germline engineering, then holy ****.

Edited by Krezack

Surely it could be retroviral? I though that rewrote living DNA.

-Elwood Blues

New development program... miners that glow in the dark. No more need for electrical light or other hazards that can cause explosions. If we also could equip them with anaerobic abilities, submarine sailors with gills, fighter pilots with wing membranes etc. >_

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

New development program... miners that glow in the dark. No more need for electrical light or other hazards that can cause explosions. If we also could equip them with anaerobic abilities, submarine sailors with gills, fighter pilots with wing membranes etc. :)

That sounds awesome. We should extend this practice to the Olympics and other sports. That would be entertaining as hell.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

man that's awesome - i wanna glow in the dark puppy!

Glow in the dark sugar-gliders. Swooping around the house.

-Elwood Blues