A question regarding the character of Michael Thorton.

The Bourne Identity (really the entire series) is basically all about one guy trying to figure out who he is (personal motivation) within the context of the CIA engaging in sinister neocolonialism (serious, real-world political stuff).

Isn't the first book about putting Carlos in jail ;) ? The second was more sinister though. But Somehow I believe it to be more light-hearted :(

Or were you talking about the movies?

Neocolonialism is so 20th century. Come join AP in the 21st.

Yeah I said it.

War in Iraq. The 2002 attempted coup of the democratically elected government of Venezuela.

Edit: Oh yeah, and this whole thing in Madagascar (happening RIGHT NOW) reeks of neocolonialism because no one in the West is recognizing the new regime just because it canceled some one-sided deals.

Edited by lord of flies

Neocolonialism is so 20th century. Come join AP in the 21st.

Yeah I said it.

Neocolonialism is good source for adventure, at least from western point of view. Puppet dictators, aiding revolutions or stopping 'em, stealing natural resources or joining the resistance forces. It does reek bit of Cold War-ish (and basically whole 80's actions movie genre) but it does work on modern day too.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

The Bourne Identity (really the entire series) is basically all about one guy trying to figure out who he is (personal motivation) within the context of the CIA engaging in sinister neocolonialism (serious, real-world political stuff).

I don't think these things are incompatible or at odds at all.

They're not incompatible, but the former is more important to the films than the latter. You have to focus more on the personal motivations than on the sinister neocolonialism.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

I'm with Josh on this one. If you set your game in "real world", yet ignore all real world issues, then it's not real world. It's a completely fictional setting that just happens to look like real world on the surface.

20795.jpg

[quote name='H

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

This thread is reason enough for Obsidian to make the story in AP based on personal motivations rather than geopolitical ones. More individual antagonists motivated by greed/love/lust/hate/revenge/etc. and fewer organizational antagonists motivated by politics, please!

I actually had the opposite response. This is why I think working on real-world games with real-world problems and themes is important. People are more likely to take games seriously if they deal with actual problems instead of vaguely displaced angst.

That's one of the parts I'm interested in about AP since RPGs are too often taken as mere escapism rather than some experiments about real world issues which make the players think. As far as I can remember, I think games which took the closest approach to this were Deus Ex series.

However, I haven't upgraded my PC for so long time that I need to build/buy a new PC. After I made a brief research on this, I've found neither Intel or AMD has a clear roadmap and I guess I'd better wait till things including the upcoming Windows OS are settled. Since my current computer is still good enough for daily tasks, there is no need for me to hassle, either. I guess I'd better spend my time on other things than gaming for a while. Even if AP is released as scheduled, I'm probably not going to buy it, at least, till next year due to the "technical issue". :)

This thread is reason enough for Obsidian to make the story in AP based on personal motivations rather than geopolitical ones. More individual antagonists motivated by greed/love/lust/hate/revenge/etc. and fewer organizational antagonists motivated by politics, please!

I actually had the opposite response. This is why I think working on real-world games with real-world problems and themes is important. People are more likely to take games seriously if they deal with actual problems instead of vaguely displaced angst.

That's one of the parts I'm interested in about AP since RPGs are too often taken as mere escapism rather than some experiments about real world issues which make the players think. As far as I can remember, I think games which took the closest approach to this were Deus Ex series.

However, I haven't upgraded my PC for so long time that I need to build/buy a new PC. After I made a brief research on this, I've found neither Intel or AMD has a clear roadmap and I guess I'd better wait till things including the upcoming Windows OS are settled. Since my current computer is still good enough for daily tasks, there is no need for me to hassle, either. I guess I'd better spend my time on other things than gaming for a while. Even if AP is released as scheduled, I'm probably not going to buy it, at least, till next year due to the "technical issue". :)

newegg, google, and wikipedia are your friend if you're looking to build a computer.

Off Topic

newegg, google, and wikipedia are your friend if you're looking to build a computer.

Thanks but, as I wrote, I did my research. Searching for further information doesn't quicken the time for Intel to release Core i5 CPU and for other makes to release compatible parts, for example. What I have to do is to wait till things are settled and, as I said, there is no hassle for me.

What I have to do is to wait till things are settled and, as I said, there is no hassle for me.

Oh but there will be, in October :(

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

Off Topic

Thanks but, as I wrote, I did my research. Searching for further information doesn't quicken the time for Intel to release Core i5 CPU and for other makes to release compatible parts, for example. What I have to do is to wait till things are settled and, as I said, there is no hassle for me.

Really, you won't want to buy an i5 the moment it comes out. It's good to stay one generation behind the top end of current technology, you get the best performance for your money that way.

I won't buy Core i 5 or any other new component the moment it comes out (It would be far from the situation in which "things are settled"). However, now that Intel told that they will discontinue Core 2, it would not be wise to buy it at the moment, either. Furthermore, Core i 7 is too high end and resource-hungry (Core i5 seems to be going to have more modest profile). In any case, the timing doesn't seem to be good for a new PC. I'll wait and see till everything is settled as I have written twice already. The same thing goes to Alpha Protocol. Its success would depend mostly on the console market and I don't think whether my modest self buys it on its release date or not matters much.

I won't buy Core i 5 or any other new component the moment it comes out (It would be far from the situation in which "things are settled"). However, now that Intel told that they will discontinue Core 2, it would not be wise to buy it at the moment, either. Furthermore, Core i 7 is too high end and resource-hungry (Core i5 seems to be going to have more modest profile). In any case, the timing doesn't seem to be good for a new PC. I'll wait and see till everything is settled as I have written twice already. The same thing goes to Alpha Protocol. Its success would depend mostly on the console market and I don't think whether my modest self buys it on its release date or not matters much.

The i7 will come down in price pretty soon. My next comp is going to be an i7, probably a GTX 285, and tri-channel 6gb DDR3 1600.

Hopelessly off topic :lol:

The i7 will come down in price pretty soon. My next comp is going to be an i7, probably a GTX 285, and tri-channel 6gb DDR3 1600.

Core i7 can be one of the options and I think it would be better than choosing Core Duo but, including it, I'd wait and see how thing will turn out. My current PC is working fine for daily tasks and I don't think there is an urgent need to buy/build a new PC. In any case, I guess we've gone too far into the deep realm of Offtopicdom.

• 1 month later...
Would be nice to play as a defected MT working for the KGB, however.

Yes and Yes. Power to the (former) Commies!

Pity the west has an irrational fear of Communism and believes Democracy is the ultimate form of government. Therefore are chances of getting something like that being slim.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif