Goodbye RIAA

Humodour

Arent they doing the same thing with books? I know there was a big clash here in Sweden when Amazon tried to move in on the publishing bussiness turf.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Arent they doing the same thing with books? I know there was a big clash here in Sweden when Amazon tried to move in on the publishing bussiness turf.

Yes, but Print on Demand publishers have always existed for books.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Yes, but Print on Demand publishers have always existed for books.

The same is sort of true for CDs. But what Amazon does is provide a large enough global community to allow for such services to be cheap and highly penetrative (i.e. selling 1000 CDs/books on Amazon is far easier than trying to sell 1000 CDs locally to interested listeners). Similar for books.

I think it's great that Amazon is disrupting the old business models like this.

As am I. At the same time, I dislike how Amazon and Google are monopolizing access to media and information.

Because I'm American and we're never happy.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

As am I. At the same time, I dislike how Amazon and Google are monopolizing access to media and information.

Because I'm American and we're never happy.

Look, if there was reason to be concerned, I would be, but I hardly think we can cry "monopoly!" on this. TuneCore has plenty of competition from other similar services, as the article states. Google has competition from Yahoo (enough to keep it on it's toes - Yahoo has roughly 20% of the search market). Amazon has competition from traditional publishers and if they don't like that Amazon's digital model is so successful, why they can just create their own to copy it, can't they?

The only real potential source of problems is Google's book licensing deals, but I've been following that on and off and it's as though Google bends over backwards to please libraries and authors. I certainly think the goal of archiving books that would otherwise be lost to the sands of time is worth some discomfort to libraries, anyway.

You want to sell a full album on Amazon of you brushing your teeth? $31.

Ahahaha....that was lol worthy. And I bet someone will try, too.

On the one, I love this kind of stuff...more options always good.

On the other hand...I still forsee the eventual day where there are almost no retail stores and we buy everything online/delivery. I'm not sure I like that. But I'm not the market people are selling to anymore so it doesn't really matter. :thumbsup:

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I'm not sure I like it either. Although I did my first online purchase recently and it went off without a hitch - bought an Apple PC from their store online with my debit MasterCard (I hate credit cards). I wouldn't mind doing it again, although I'm loathe to pay for postage and handling (it was free with my Mac).

But I'm smart enough to know that I can't do anything to stop that digitalisation trend, and I'm not sure it'll be such a bad thing in the end anyway (less wasteful packaging for example).

Agreed about less wasteful.

My only issue is just a personal thing...I like being able to see/try things before I buy, and I absolutely dislike having to wait for mail if you need to return/exchange. I want to be able to go return the same day if I want.

Other than that, the only business ramification I could see as a 'maybe' would be in terms of employment. I'm not sure if on-line/mail order purchasing creates as many jobs as retail stores. Tho obviously things like food and pharmacy would still be a walk-in things. If it's a lot less, we'd need to find other areas for mass lower-skilled jobs or it could become a problem? Maybe?

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

That actually is awesome. Escape the manufacturing cartels. Woo!

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

My only issue is just a personal thing...I like being able to see/try things before I buy, and I absolutely dislike having to wait for mail if you need to return/exchange. I want to be able to go return the same day if I want.

Other than that, the only business ramification I could see as a 'maybe' would be in terms of employment. I'm not sure if on-line/mail order purchasing creates as many jobs as retail stores. Tho obviously things like food and pharmacy would still be a walk-in things. If it's a lot less, we'd need to find other areas for mass lower-skilled jobs or it could become a problem? Maybe?

More postal workers? :sweat:

More postal workers? -_-

You cam manufacture CDs of the music in small quantities in shops. The equipment is only slightly larger than a standard desktop PC.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

More postal workers? :yes:

You cam manufacture CDs of the music in small quantities in shops. The equipment is only slightly larger than a standard desktop PC.

It's extremely expensive for large quantities (e.g. 1000 CDs, let alone 100,000).

Depends what you mean by expensive. It's cheaper than holding acres of redundant stock. So retailers should like it. Mind you, who buys in hardcopy any more?

-Elwood Blues