V

Purkake

Looks cool.. Reminds me of Independece day with those ships hovering above the major cities and closeups of people being frightened.

When will it be out?

Fortune favors the bald.

Looks cool.. Reminds me of Independece day with those ships hovering above the major cities and closeups of people being frightened.

When will it be out?

They haven't specified the date, but it will start fall 2009.

Edited by Purkake

I remember this show from when I was a kid. A scene of some woman shedding skin and showing reptile scales underneath.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I suppose I must watch this, and I might even like it (doesn't look bad)... but I also suppose I'm going to have mental fits about Hollywood remaking yet another one of my childhood memories. SIGH :p

When Diana first ate the rat/mouse/guinea pig or whatever it was, everyone talked about it for days. Sure it's a total (and dated) cheesefest now, but back then ... it was awesomeness.

v_invasion_extraterrestre_diana.jpg

There's a reason for that : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aO34WjK8KI4 and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ceD9N0t7Tk

Not that V was the first to have the 'hovering spaceships'. :)

(For those that don't want to watch the vids...)

v-mothership.jpg

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I guess Juliet won't be coming back to Lost, then.

V I believe is just a 12 part miniseries, so its possible she had/has time for both. At least I hope she does, she's become one of the more likeable characters on Lost.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I guess Juliet won't be coming back to Lost, then.

V I believe is just a 12 part miniseries, so its possible she had/has time for both. At least I hope she does, she's become one of the more likeable characters on Lost.

No, they were talking about a up to 4 season series.

Also there are two extended clips from the trailer:

The interview scene

The "we come in peace" scene

Jane Badler was really awesome as the original Diana, I hope Morena can pull it off.

2vrvf4h.jpg

Edited by Purkake

Diana eating a hamster was a seminal moment in TV sci-fi mini-series history. Even my mother, who utterly hates sci-fi, loved 'V'.

However, I am bored of re-makes, although de-cheezing Battlestar Galactica was fine. But 'V'? T'would be refreshing if the folks making it had a production meeting where they decided to make 'V' even cheesier than the original. They should make it camper than Liberace's dressing gown.

BTW, anybody else heard about the Magnum P.I. movie? Seems to have dropped off the radar.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

Diana eating a hamster was a seminal moment in TV sci-fi mini-series history. Even my mother, who utterly hates sci-fi, loved 'V'.

However, I am bored of re-makes, although de-cheezing Battlestar Galactica was fine. But 'V'? T'would be refreshing if the folks making it had a production meeting where they decided to make 'V' even cheesier than the original. They should make it camper than Liberace's dressing gown.

BTW, anybody else heard about the Magnum P.I. movie? Seems to have dropped off the radar.

Cheers

MC

They would either have to have the writing chops to make it non cheesy or not take it too seriously. If they do take it too seriously, it could end up pretty bad.

The pilot will probably make that clear. I'm sure they will manage to "accidentally" leak the pilot over the summer, like all the new shows last summer.

Ho-hum, watched the trailer. It has high-production values and an air of ponderous self-importance, as if it's trying to say something profound.

'V' is about lizard-aliens wearing prosthetics in an attempt to harvest humans for lunch. Of course, on the Internet, this is actually touted as a realistic scenario to explain world politics, but to me that trailer just looked too serious.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

The best fiction tries to be serious. There are tons of shows that want to be nothing but bubblegum and popcorn for your brain (the latest Star Trek) and there's nothing wrong with that. Heck, I still watch the TMNT movies on occasion.

At the same time, why not at least put a little thought, a bit of meat in with the milk?

My vote goes to V being different this time. The Visitors *are* the good guys. They know that they're creepy and maybe they're heavy handed, but it turns out they're trying to help the human race. But, that's after all the main characters have done ugly things that the audience has rooted for (cause we all know they're evil) and ****ed everything up.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

The best fiction tries to be serious. There are tons of shows that want to be nothing but bubblegum and popcorn for your brain (the latest Star Trek) and there's nothing wrong with that. Heck, I still watch the TMNT movies on occasion.

At the same time, why not at least put a little thought, a bit of meat in with the milk?

My vote goes to V being different this time. The Visitors *are* the good guys. They know that they're creepy and maybe they're heavy handed, but it turns out they're trying to help the human race. But, that's after all the main characters have done ugly things that the audience has rooted for (cause we all know they're evil) and ****ed everything up.

Woah, that some M. Night Shyamalan stuff right there. What a twiist!

My vote goes to V being different this time. The Visitors *are* the good guys. They know that they're creepy and maybe they're heavy handed, but it turns out they're trying to help the human race.

So, basically, the Visitors are Democrats, right?

sonsofgygax.JPG

Woah, that some M. Night Shyamalan stuff right there. What a twiist!

How is that a twist?

So, basically, the Visitors are Democrats, right?

What? No, the Visitors would be aliens. They could be 'the bad guys' but I don't want Jack Bauer vs evil!alien!terrorists!

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

The use of the capital 'D' in Democrat was intentional, but I think you missed the gag. Not to worry, it wasn't very good anyway :thumbsup:

I think we are due a slice of space opera, that's all, in these otherwise depressing times. 'V' was campy fun, but the remake looks like it's going to be portentous and dull. It's like setting South Pacfic in Hlemand Province with B-52's raining 500 pounders down on the chorus line.

The heroine (feisty 21st century single mother / FBI agent) says something about devotion being the most potent weapon... yawn.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

I think it's trying to say how scary it is that America is faling in droves for ecstatic religious dogma, and that this essentially paves the way for a dictatorship that will eat my face. I mean your face. I mean our face.

But in a way that won't upset this vast mass of cretins. Because they clearly don't understand syymbolism. If they did then they'd understand that a book which tells you to stone people of others faiths with the same enthusiasm you use in spurning people who eat shrimp must be taken with a pinch of salt.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

The use of the capital 'D' in Democrat was intentional, but I think you missed the gag. Not to worry, it wasn't very good anyway :sweat:

It was a subtle jab at the political party being good intentioned but ultimately heavy-handed?

I think we are due a slice of space opera, that's all, in these otherwise depressing times. 'V' was campy fun, but the remake looks like it's going to be portentous and dull. It's like setting South Pacfic in Hlemand Province with B-52's raining 500 pounders down on the chorus line.

The heroine (feisty 21st century single mother / FBI agent) says something about devotion being the most potent weapon... yawn.

The proliferation of mindless fluff is what turned me off TV in the first place. Babylon 5 was the last show I saw that suggested more than five brain cells worked on the writing of the screenplay.

Star Trek just came out; it was a slice of space opera. T4 is action packed. Finding science fiction that tries to make you think is much harder than sci-fi that only wants to blow stuff up for our amusement. I

Hey, I don't have a problem with intelligent drama, SF is a solid vehicle for that. Jericho was good, for example.

What I don't get is the apparent necessity of US TV companies suddenly using ageing, cheesy IP like Galactica and 'V' to do it.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

They cancelled My Name is Earl when it had good ratings. They are the spawn of the devil, and must be beheaded.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

• 3 weeks later...

Except for hamster-devouring-scene and shedding skin-scene, i cannot remember anything about V. I was maybe 5 or so when it premiered.

I really hope that it will be "Aliens just want to enslave humanity"-series, since that was cool part about it, i think :shifty:

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy