SC: Conviction Lives

As long as the social stealth is still in (albeit refined), I'm still interested. I also checked EBgames and it says June 30th. That's too good to be true, right?

Unless the date has been officially announced, I never take their [ebgames] word for it.

It's about bloody time they released something new. Of course the best thing about this trailer is the voice of Michael Ironside. There was talk a while back that he might not return.

http://www.manofconviction.com

The first bullet hole says: Restricted [ 05.20.09 ] and the second Restricted [ 05.28.09 ]

Edited by Hell Kitty

Wear normal clothes and don't act weirdly and the guards don't notice you in crowds

Think of a silent assassination in a park or a zoo vs a going Rambo in such places in RL:

Well at least thats what they are advertising :(

IG. We kick ass and not even take names.

Hey I liked Tom Clancy. Well at least I did until he went weird first with Ryan then other stuff I guess...

Still the game is advertised to be more of the "Bourne" vibe than the usual "techno assassin" thing so I am also intrugued.

IG. We kick ass and not even take names.

Michael Ironside is the man. While I've never been hugely engaged with the SC story, I've always thought Fisher's witty banter was very well-done both in writing and performance.

I admit that I liked the other splinter cell games, but IMO a reboot like this has been necessary since Chaos Theory. CT was kind of the ultimate refinement of the methodical linear sneaking with gadgets formula, so it was time to try something new. They tried with Double Agent, and while I enjoyed it, I don't think they really delivered on the premise. It was mostly just more of Chaos Theory from a gameplay standpoint.

Lastly, I've always been more a fan of the wits-based spy rather than the gadget-based one. Even Alpha Protocol seems pretty equipment-based, so this might be just the thing to scratch that particular itch.

• 2 weeks later...

They posted some narrated gameplay footage at E3 which I was pretty impressed by. They've definitely made significant changes to the franchise, though the level on display was pretty classic SC after the intro. This might've been a deliberate choice to reassure the established fanbase, though I for one am hoping for lots of crowds and cops.

Yup, it's looking good. Ability to chain events like shooting lights and then killing opponents will make game easier for casual players but nowadays it's probably good thing. I think you can skip it just like autoaim and stuff like that.

Game is said to be released around the same time with Alpha Protocol and unfortunately it'll end up hurting both games.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

Looks awesome. This, along with AP are my most highly anticipated. Double awesome.

I like the fade to black & white when hiding in shadows rather than a stealth meter.

I don't think the point of the chain shot is to make it easier for casual players, rather to allow you to perform a number of actions faster than you normally could. Reminds me of a similar ability in Desperados.

The new combat and stealth stuff looks pretty cool. The target marking thing seems like a good idea and fast-paced stealth-action seems like a better fit than the quicksave-quickload approach of the previous ones. The marking actually reminds me of Desperados' Quick Action, if anyone remembers that.

I'm not a big fan of the weird wall-projection stuff and emo-Fisher seems very cliche, but Splinter Cell stories have never really shined with their originality.

I don't think the point of the chain shot is to make it easier for casual players, rather to allow you to perform a number of actions faster than you normally could.

Well, in a sense it's for "casual" players. The idea is that most of us, instead of being able to headshot two different targets in under a second, would mess it up and trigger the alarm 9 out of 10 times. Quicksave/quickload + that drags pacing down.

It's kind of an unusual choice, but it makes sense to me. Also, it is pretty much verbatim the same mechanic you use to control your teammates in Rainbow 6 Vegas, just done without a team.

emo-Fisher

Angry doesn't equal emo. A murdered daughter is a legitimate gripe.

And it's also up there in the "Top 10 motivations" right after "village burned down" and "mentor killed".

Being super angry is no better than being just emo. It would get a bit tiresome after he angrily cracks the 30th skull on a toilet bowl while asking who killed his daughter.

emo-Fisher

Angry doesn't equal emo. A murdered daughter is a legitimate gripe.

And it's also up there in the "Top 10 motivations" right after "village burned down" and "mentor killed".

Being super angry is no better than being just emo. It would get a bit tiresome after he angrily cracks the 30th skull on a toilet bowl while asking who killed his daughter.

And he also writes crappy poems, is homosexual, and wants to cut his wrists. Oh wait, he doesn't. Maybe, just maybe, people have more diverse personalities than happy and emo.

And he also writes crappy poems, is homosexual, and wants to cut his wrists. Oh wait, he doesn't. Maybe, just maybe, people have more diverse personalities than happy and emo.

I said it's just as bad, not the same. Maybe he finds out who killed his daughter in the first hour and starts taking down the terrorist organization that is planning to use nerve gas to kill all the puppies on the planet, but I doubt it.

Do you really want a Kratos Fisher who is really pissed all the time?

Edited by Purkake

Anger is a perfectly normal emotion, emo is a persona you create for yourself. You really think "angry man wants to find his daughters killer" is just as bad as "kid dyes his hair black and complains no one understand him"? It's ridiculous to refer to any angry person as "emo".

As far as motivations go, it's a change from the save the world stuff previously seen in the series. If Fisher goes through every mission yelling "Who killed my daughter!" at people, then yes that would get tiresome, but then it's kinda silly to assume that's how it would play out.

Maybe he finds out who killed his daughter in the first hour and starts taking down the terrorist organization that is planning to use nerve gas to kill all the puppies on the planet, but I doubt it.

Ignoring the nonsense about puppies, the information released so far does suggest some kind of conspiracy behind the daughters death.

Edited by Hell Kitty

I guess we'll have to see. I'm just bored/annoyed with the angry guy stereotype. If it's there just to get the story going again, it's fine.

I think it annoys me because there are quite a few characters who lose any kind of rational thinking and only do crazy stuff because they are really really angry. Can't you have a game where the angry dude just lets it go without killing a million people? Revenge won't bring his daughter back or even give him any real closure...

Edited by Purkake