Mass Effect 2 E3 Prelude

Jaesun

"Just hopefully they will add a male/male romance option. But I doubt it."

Why? It wouldn't be the first BIo game to have male/male romance. *shrug*

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

recent bio games remind Gromnir of Tron. always seems to be kinda unfinished and empty... as if they set up framework o' rules setting and graphics n' such, but decided to leave the detailing to the folks who would eventually come along and do an expansion or sequel.

look at mass effect and there is so much dead space-- flat and lifeless... and the rules system and story is mostly broad stroke too. Gromnir looked at trailer included in thread and we were again struck by seeming how sterile the environments appear... look past the characters and you might as well be stuck in 1982 watching Tron.

bioware approach is not a terrible thing... Gromnir enjoys those japanese ukiyo-e prints. am also a big fan o' some minimalist authors such as Hemingway. even so, other than bg2 and tob, Gromnir has always felt a certain hollowness when playing a bio game... can almost hear the forlorn wind blowing through the empty spaces in story, rules and art.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Hopefully we'll get an all-male race of green aliens. Or pink hermaphrodites to really spice things up.

Other than asari and quinari, all the alien races were all male.

I just hope my Gay Shepard can finally get a romance. :brows:

I hope so as well. If not, there's always Dragon Age.

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Man, I'm hoping for more alien races to be revealed that overtly pamper to the Bioware demographic.

COME TO ME, THEN! WE SHALL MAKE THIS LAST NIGHT TOGETHER SOMETHING TO REMEMBER!

Edited by Llyranor

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Wait what? I have not been following DA that much.. but did they confirm Male/Male romance possible in DA?

our reply is gonna seem sexist, but what the heck...

with all the female writers that seem to be on the staff at Bio nowadays, it is almost inevitable that a male x male romance will be included in a near future game... even if is only hand-holding poofs or an innuendo kinda thing.

HA! Good Fun!

ps carth were gay AND bipolar even if his romance were hetero.

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

"Just hopefully they will add a male/male romance option. But I doubt it."

Why? It wouldn't be the first BIo game to have male/male romance. *shrug*

Oh that's right. Out of the 12 games developed by Bioware they have made, ONE of them has a Male/Male romance. Sorry. I forgot. :brows:

with all the female writers that seem to be on the staff at Bio nowadays, it is almost inevitable that a male x male romance will be included in a near future game... even if is only hand-holding poofs or an innuendo kinda thing.

That does seem a bit sexist, yeah. Admittedly the slash writers I happen to know are all women, but still.

"poof"? "carth were gay" because of, what, his effeminate tendency to go on and on about his feelings? So your general feeling is that women are gaying up Bioware RPGs? Here I was thinking you were a cut above the game forum rabble. How disappointing.

What is ironic, is that I follow one Male (Heterosexual and married) Bioware dev log that is very Gay friendly and has pushed for Gay romances in each game he get's to work on at Bioware. Typically he does get shot down on this idea (For story or character reasons, which is understandable) , but at-least tries to open up this topic when it is discussed. There are possibly some Female Dev's at Bioware that support this as well, I just have not stumbled upon any that were quite vocal about it.

I know Obsidian tried this in one of their games, but it was sadly shut down. Hopefully some day they will get a Publisher that wont have a problem with this.

ANYWAYS... I really need to stop gaying up this thread. Um... YAY! Mass Effect 2.

That does seem a bit sexist, yeah. Admittedly the slash writers I happen to know are all women, but still.

"poof"? "carth were gay" because of, what, his effeminate tendency to go on and on about his feelings? So your general feeling is that women are gaying up Bioware RPGs? Here I was thinking you were a cut above the game forum rabble. How disappointing.

am saying that bioware's attempt to makes female gamers happy resulted in a poof carth. is no secret that carth were developed based on feedback from female gamers... resulted in a very sensitive and high maintenance character who were in serious need o' some lithium. is not female gamer fault, but the bio writer in question ended up with a cliche gay carth. get all sensitive if you wish but Gromnir am not saying that all gay men is poofs or that gayness is bad. am saying that carth, as written in kotor, were resulting in a cliche and unpalatable poof character.

btw, regardless o' your opinions o' Gromnir, we wouldn't mind seeing a game that made a gay romance core to game. romance, gay or otherwise, is NOT appropriate tangential. as a optional side-quest such fare invariably becomes annoying juvenile or cliche ghey... without actually intending either.

women writers seem far more likely to do gay male romance. bioware has a considerable number o' female writers. therefore...

is a simple syllogism.

is not a bad thing to do gay romance, but as a tangential side-quest option the gay romance is gonna be terrible... period. is gonna be cliche and stoopid and annoying.

did Gromnir mention how much he loathes the typical crpg romance formula?

HA! Good Fun!

ps Gromnir is not a cut above the game forum rabble. never pretended to be. not feel bad that you were mistaken 'bout that.

Edited by Gromnir

Wait what? I have not been following DA that much.. but did they confirm Male/Male romance possible in DA?

1. There are no romances confirmed at this time. Even after a video showing the PC taking Morrigan from behind, the devs aren't allowed to talk about romances.

2. The developers have said repeatedly that in Thedas, homosexuality is not considered wrong or immoral.

3. After the NYC showing, where posters had dinner with biostaff, several of the attendees said that the developers had spoken of same-sex romances for both genders. This was in Feb, when the game was still supposed to ship in March.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

1. There are no romances confirmed at this time. Even after a video showing the PC taking Morrigan from behind, the devs aren't allowed to talk about romances.

2. The developers have said repeatedly that in Thedas, homosexuality is not considered wrong or immoral.

3. After the NYC showing, where posters had dinner with biostaff, several of the attendees said that the developers had spoken of same-sex romances for both genders. This was in Feb, when the game was still supposed to ship in March.

Ahh.. I had missed that. Thank you. :) Interest in DA +1.

Hopefully we'll get an all-male race of green aliens. Or pink hermaphrodites to really spice things up.

Ehh... they were? :) Not sure about the turians but krogans, salarians & quarians didn't seem to be all male.

Oh that's right. Out of the 12 games developed by Bioware they have made, ONE of them has a Male/Male romance. Sorry. I forgot. :*

There was?? Darn, I must have missed out on something. :brows:

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

jane austen would have serious problems writing a tangential and complete optional romance in a crpg. how many romance encounters you got in a game per per romancable character? writers got a relative small number encounters that is near complete dialogue driven and they is 'posed to make keep insular. you don't wanna do romance? is not a problem, 'cause unlike the traditional romance in which winning the girl IS the story, in a crpg such as DA you gotta make so that romance is something that need not touch core plot path.

bio and other developers backed selves into a corner. the romances in bg2 were popular, so they is gonna continue providing such stuff, but the basic method o' implementation makes 'em seem invariably rushed, and juvenile... gotta get through entire dramatic romance arc with a handful o' dialogue encounters. developers is stuck with a horrible model.

maybe the biowarians should hire more poets... somebodies who can does romance in stanzas instead o' pages.

HA! Good Fun!

Wait a minute-- are we talking about Carth Carth, or the ME version? Or does it matter?

Personally, I always thought that KotOR Carth was a clever device. The player needs a companion to provide exposition and ensure combat survivability on Taris, but the problem becomes explaining why such a well informed, comptetent NPC would follow the direction of the n00b player character. Bio got around this by making Carth an emotional wreck. The end result was somewhat "unpalatable" to many fans, to use Grom's term, but popular with others, and it served its purpose in informing the player and ensuring that combat-weak builds could survive Taris. Does this skirt on being a "poof" cliche? Maybe. Is that any more objectionable than any other cliched character design? I don't think so.

Importing him wholesale into ME was pure fan-service (or laziness, I suppose), but at least they gave the Carth-haters the option of killing the character off. Everybody wins?

carth were functional as a joinable npc. he fulfilled various needs... offered combat support and functioned as a tour guide. making him so poofy kinda ruined the parallels 'tween han solo, but otherwise he were not worse than some other characters.

as a romance? for folks that wanted romance, he were romancable, but you got an emotionally damaged character who initially vacillates 'tween gung-ho puppy dog and maudlin wreck. turns out carth got big traumas, but thanks to the love o' a good woman and her five or so dialogues with carth, he is able to overcome his decades o' damage and demons. love conquers all, and apparent love works fast too. the romance aspect is part what resulted in carth being a bit annoying for players Not interested in romance, but regardless, the actual carth romance were necessarily rushed. in any other medium such a romance is either The story, or at least it gets loads more development. carth o' kotor is a jnpc that that you can chat up... or not and you can romance... or not. regardless, you gots a bare double handful o' encounters to work through cart's entire melodramatic background if you is gonna get resolution and a positive conclusion to romance.

carth were kinda terrible for Gromnir... but as a romance am not sure if you can ever get genuine quality as the entire romance arc has gotta happen relative quick and tangential. is a bad model. is not necessary that biowarian writers is incompetent, but they gots a very unforgiving scheme.

am having 0 knowledge o' the carth ii romance from mass effect as we didn't explore. carth jr. were less annoying than carth. never explored the romance aspect o' carth jr., but as a joinable npc he were far less emotional unstable than the kotor version.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

Even after a video showing the PC taking Morrigan from behind, the devs aren't allowed to talk about romances.

What? Do you mean taken or taken?

I think she means the Violence video. At 53 seconds you see the PC kinda hugging her from behind but not taking her, unless its in another trailer.

Even after a video showing the PC taking Morrigan from behind, the devs aren't allowed to talk about romances.

What? Do you mean taken or taken?

I think she means the Violence video. At 53 seconds you see the PC kinda hugging her from behind but not taking her, unless its in another trailer.

Oh, my. That was...unexpected, especially in a video called "Violence".

Ehh... they were? :) Not sure about the turians but krogans, salarians & quarians didn't seem to be all male.

That was asari and quarians.

Okay, show me a picture of a female turian, krogan, or salarian.

That was asari and quarians.

Okay, show me a picture of a female turian, krogan, or salarian.

There weren't any included in the game. I can't recall anything specific about Turians, but there was mention of female Krogans and Salarians in the codex. IIRC, Wrex also mentions female Krogans in one conversation.

Edited by Deraldin

There weren't any included in the game.

Right, they made a huge deal out of the asari being an all female race, and then gave us three all male races. No wonder the asari consort is so popular.