Mass Effect 2 E3 Prelude

Jaesun

So they're focusing on improving the combat. Well, Mass Effect's combat was pretty good, and with some tweaks it can be great. Companion and enemy AI both need a few enhancements. Also, some tweaking to the responsiveness of the cover system would be great. Also, did I see weapon reloading at about 45-50 seconds in?

But as much as I'd love to see combat improvements, I feel there are other areas that need a lot more attention, like the dialog system, and general pacing. Also, side exploration should either suffer massive improvements, or get the boot.

Anyway, I'm interested in this one, and I hope the PC version comes out the same time as the other versions. Btw, any news on that?

Edited by fastpunk

"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes

This stuff is like a summer action movie for me, just pure fun chock full of wooden dialogue and hilariously over-the-top efforts to create empathy in cardboard-cutout characters.

Fixed that for you. :blink:

I wouldn't call the combat "pretty good" for a 2003 game. The best that can be said is that it worked, sometimes. The "AI" had the enemies get stuck behind pretty much anything and just wait for you to gun them down.

In KoTOR you could at least set up some actions without worrying about people getting stuck on everything.

If they are going to fix something, I'd start by removing the horrible sidequests with three different map templates that all look like someone did them on their lunch break.

Edited by Purkake

"We're going to have weapons that are going kill a thousand times over"

30-year olds talking like 12-year olds. *sigh*

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Looks good. I'll believe these "massive" improvements when I see them, though.

I maintain my stance that Bioware games are typically good, but lack the stuff of greatness. At the end of the day, they're story-driven WRPGs that have a merely functional story. No matter how cool a car's chassis may be, without a good engine it's not going anywhere fast.

"We're going to have weapons that are going kill a thousand times over"

Funny, 'cause I thought that was the highlight of the trailer. That, and

Shepard walking out of the bombed-out Normandy

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

So they're focusing on improving the combat. Well, Mass Effect's combat was pretty good, and with some tweaks it can be great. Companion and enemy AI both need a few enhancements. Also, some tweaking to the responsiveness of the cover system would be great. Also, did I see weapon reloading at about 45-50 seconds in?

But as much as I'd love to see combat improvements, I feel there are other areas that need a lot more attention, like the dialog system, and general pacing. Also, side exploration should either suffer massive improvements, or get the boot.

Anyway, I'm interested in this one, and I hope the PC version comes out the same time as the other versions. Btw, any news on that?

Agreed.

How about, FAR LESS ITEMS TO PICK UP AND CLUTTER YOUR INVENTORY?

or

UNIQUE ITEMS YOU OBTAIN FROM DOING SIDE QUESTS?

or

POPULATED WIDE OPEN CITY AREAS?

or

SOME PLANETS WHICH TAKE A DIFFERENT APPROACH TO COMBAT?

or

A FREAKIN JET PACK OR SOMETHING TO DECREASE TIME ON FOOT?

Looks nice. Doesn't deal with any of the problems I had with the game though.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

People are pretending that this is the only preview of the game. Other previews by BIO have talked about improving random planets/side quests, and the like. And, oh, the person who thinks the dialogue system should be improved is out of luck. There's no reason why ME's dialogue system should be changed and I doubt BIO has any plans to do so.

"30-year olds talking like 12-year olds. *sigh*"

Oh, please. Plenty of adults talk like that. Look at all the adult oriented action movies as evidence. Heck, look at Jack Bauer's popularity despite the fact in the real world people are often anti torture yet they idloize him. *shrug*

"The "AI" had the enemies get stuck behind pretty much anything and just wait for you to gun them down."

ME's AI was the best BIO AI ever, and better than 99% of games' AI espicially the overrated KOTOR series.

"In KoTOR you could at least set up some actions without worrying about people getting stuck on everything."

ME > KOTOR

For the most part, my AI companions AI would actually use their abilities intelligently even when not being directly controlled, and rarely if ever got stuck.

GO ME2 GO! DOWN WITH KOTOR 4EVAR!

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

The man in the video has a feral mustache. If he's in charge of visuals, I can rest easy at night.

I liked ME and I'll like ME 2.

More like a 16-year-old. They're a group men talking about an action game on the internet, as long as they don't swear or break into lolcat, they're at par.

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

I'm a bit disappointed this trailer didn't have heavy metal, bloodsplater, or naked women getting grabbed from behind. What happened BioWare? Have you sold out already?

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Woohoo.

I'll be happy with more of the same, to be honest.

Yup, me too.

Actually since I liked combat mechancis so much in ME, I'm bit worried as they have changed 'em.

It sounds the same to me the only thing they have changed is ability usage/selection, which you can appently now change use without pausing. They've also added the abilty to issue orders to squad members individually, but I think that was already implemented in the PC version.

I'm a bit disappointed this trailer didn't have heavy metal, bloodsplater, or naked women getting grabbed from behind. What happened BioWare? Have you sold out already?

It's too early for the 'Krogan sex' trailer...

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

"The "AI" had the enemies get stuck behind pretty much anything and just wait for you to gun them down."

ME's AI was the best BIO AI ever, and better than 99% of games' AI espicially the overrated KOTOR series.

"In KoTOR you could at least set up some actions without worrying about people getting stuck on everything."

ME > KOTOR

Apparently we were playing two very different games.

If you sell out twice, are you okay again?

It sounds the same to me the only thing they have changed is ability usage/selection, which you can appently now change use without pausing. They've also added the abilty to issue orders to squad members individually, but I think that was already implemented in the PC version.

Yeah, I always forget that ME was Xbox360 game first. I'm talking about PC version that had quickslots for abilities and squad member movements. You still needed to pause game if you wanted to use squad members special abilities manually (they used abilities alone too but with braindead AI :( ).

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.