The Clan purple

I've been considering joining a clan in Red Orchestra, because poor team play annoys the living feth out of me, and apparently its what you do to get team players on side. Thoughts?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

when I first saw this thread I thought "Indigo Prophecy!"

Does that count?

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

when I first saw this thread I thought "Indigo Prophecy!"

Does that count?

It count.. as a waste of my goddamn time! :)

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Being in a clan is a great way to get better at the game, for one thing. You will undoubtedly need some sort of voice communication software like Teamspeak of Ventrilo. If you join a clan, as opposed to creating one, you won't need to host a server or anything, so it won't be any big deal on your end.

However, once you join a guild, you will have to practice. This isn't like WoW or CoH. Once you're in an FPS guild, you have to play. A lot. I mean, yeah, you have to practice at any game, but fps clan play is all about PvP. Depending on the game, you might have to study your teams best strats and then figure out which task you'll do, such as engineer, soldier, Lt., etc.

Most guilds fail because of petty in-fighting between the members, particularly based on player skill, perceived pecking order, and play-time. You'll also end up with scheduled practice times, probably on a guild server, and you'll also have competition dates if you're in a ranked guild, which is like a black hole for time.

All in all, it's not bad, but it's a hell of a lot of time for just playing a game. ...And it's not like posting on this message board, which you can do wherever you go and no matter what you're doing, five minutes here and there. It's like great gaping chunks of time and folks will lay all sorts of guilt trips and crap on you for leaving when you finally return to your life. Not saying don't do it, just saying it's like joining the mafia. Heaven help you if you give anyone your home phone number because they'll call you to try to keep you in the guild.

Hell, join WoW and create a family guild. At least they already have your number and they're probably going to call and bitch at you for something or another anyway.

Not that I know any of this from experience, bro. :)

Being in a clan is a great way to get better at the game, for one thing. You will undoubtedly need some sort of voice communication software like Teamspeak of Ventrilo. If you join a clan, as opposed to creating one, you won't need to host a server or anything, so it won't be any big deal on your end.

However, once you join a guild, you will have to practice. This isn't like WoW or CoH. Once you're in an FPS guild, you have to play. A lot. I mean, yeah, you have to practice at any game, but fps clan play is all about PvP. Depending on the game, you might have to study your teams best strats and then figure out which task you'll do, such as engineer, soldier, Lt., etc.

Most guilds fail because of petty in-fighting between the members, particularly based on player skill, perceived pecking order, and play-time. You'll also end up with scheduled practice times, probably on a guild server, and you'll also have competition dates if you're in a ranked guild, which is like a black hole for time.

All in all, it's not bad, but it's a hell of a lot of time for just playing a game. ...And it's not like posting on this message board, which you can do wherever you go and no matter what you're doing, five minutes here and there. It's like great gaping chunks of time and folks will lay all sorts of guilt trips and crap on you for leaving when you finally return to your life. Not saying don't do it, just saying it's like joining the mafia. Heaven help you if you give anyone your home phone number because they'll call you to try to keep you in the guild.

Hell, join WoW and create a family guild. At least they already have your number and they're probably going to call and bitch at you for something or another anyway.

Not that I know any of this from experience, bro. :)

Yeah it pretty much sums up my 6 year experience with CounterStrike before i stop playing it 4 years ago :)

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

I think that really depends on the kind of clan you join. I was a competitive FPS gamer for several years, and there were times when I joined 'casual' clans that consisted of people pretty much in the same boat you are; I wanted to play with people who had some idea what they were doing, developed team cohesion, etc. without taking it so seriously that they had regular practices or anything like that. These casual clans also seem to be the ones that have the least drama and last the longest, simply because there's no huge competitive streak.

I feel a disturbance in the force. It's as though a hundred devs simultaneously facepalmed, and then fell silent bc the nda is still in place.

twitter

I usually go for people I get to know through the game, in an FPS thats usually if you hang out at a certain dedicated server, seeing how the community is so enormous for newer games.

I was in two Homeworld clans and had a lot of fun with that. Sigh, too bad the game died out and Relic went on to make Warhammer 40.000 games, which are not my cup of tea. The only Mmorpheger I ever played at lenght was Guildwars, but ultimately I like something that's over in one sitting that has a tactical and strategical element. These things that go on forever and turn into mostly farming don't interest me anymore.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

As it has already been pointed out there are plenty of clans populated with people who don't have the time or inclination for lengthy practice sessions. Casual gaming is supposed to be about having fun, leave the professional tournaments to the koreans.

Although losing is not as fun as winning, doing slightly better than last week is still an amazing feeling.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Thanks for all the input. Hopefully this is interesting for a few people besides me.

1. I can totally understand the urge to take the game seriously and practice. If people do it for amateur football or bridge, why not gaming?

2. However, I don't think massive practice is necessary to have a good time in a military sim that is based on some realism. We all know roughly what works. We just need some common spirit to engage in it.

3. I had huge fun yesterday evening fighting alongside an Aussie, and I thought it was interesting to see why.

- Mutual lexicon. It makes a big difference in VOIP if you can say "Have eyes on leg at charlie 7, repeat charlie 7" and not be accused of being a space mutant.

- Mutual support. If I need to get to a treeline under fire, having a tank which agrees to move at walking pace to give you cover is awesome. Likewise, if the tank comes under fire, having an engineer who is wiling to get out a satchel charge and bounce aggressively towards the enemy vehicle is an excellent distraction.

- Shared awareness. If you see a T34 hull down in ambush, bloody sing it out. Ditto an MG nest.

All these things should be obvious, and require very little training.

-Elwood Blues

• 2 weeks later...

I eventually got invited to join the 169th Soviet style group. They seem pretty cool, although I am a bit worried about having to use fixed tactics. I'm just not convince that sensibel real world tactics are optimal, even if they are quite good. For example, where in the real world would you have someone dancing around a building, stabbing people, leaping out windows, dodging back in, chucking grenades etc? Or, as I do, getting into a tiny and fast Russian tank and hiding in a hedge to kill passing Tigers and Panthers?

-Elwood Blues