Who are the artists of Obsidian?

Nexus

• 3 weeks later...
Brian Menze for one (need more manga avs!).

Yep, I'm one of eleven artists here. Here are the names of the other guys:

Aaron Brown

Trent Campbell

Rick Grossenbacher

Lucas Feld

Glenn Price

Tim Cox

Aaron Meyers

Doug Cope

Mustazar Essa

Dennis Presnell

Also, we have 3 guys on contract helping out, and they are:

Chris Appelhans

TJ Frame

Robert Giampa

"Haven't got an enemy in the world. Too lazy to make 'em" - The Reluctant Dragon

Aaron Brown

Trent Campbell

Rick Grossenbacher

Lucas Feld

Glenn Price

Tim Cox

Aaron Meyers

Doug Cope

Mustazar Essa

Dennis Presnell

Chris Appelhans

TJ Frame

Robert Giampa

I dont recognize any of the names(except for you).

Can we have some sort of info about each of the artists previous work?

Aaron Brown

Trent Campbell

Rick Grossenbacher

Lucas Feld

Glenn Price

Tim Cox

Aaron Meyers

Doug Cope

Mustazar Essa

Dennis Presnell

Chris Appelhans

TJ Frame

Robert Giampa

I dont recognize any of the names(except for you).

Can we have some sort of info about each of the artists previous work?

At the risk of going slightly off-topic, how about some bio's in general on the regular staff ? :)

Who they are, what they did, what they are currently doing, what makes them tick etc...

Would be nice to have that on the main site's Info menu (or an "Who are we" button)

Edit: Erhhh... perhaps I should have posted this under suggestions :(

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

The art for many of these games, especially the Black Isle games like IWD, is so good, that I really wish it was incorporated more into the actual games. It seems like long after I play one of these games, I bump into some concept art for the game that is amazing and I think what a shame they didn't incorporate it into the actual game. Is the sole purpose of this art to just use as a guide to build the character models, locations, etc.? I think when you have these great images of creatures, places, or characters, you should have a hyperlink in your quest journal, and whenever that place or creature is mentioned you can click on the name and see this art. IMO that would make the game a much richer experience, and you already have this art, why not use it?

If you're looking to find the past credits of these guys, try a search on Mobygames. Great site. Looks like they're mostly Interplay guys, by the way.

And, not to get off topic, the BIS concept art (and seemingly the stuff for KotOR2) is indeed very awesome stuff. I know that I'd certainly much rather stare at it while loading an area than the boring KotOR1 loading screens. Or, a lot of games have galleries which can be unlocked after completing the game. Just a couple thoughts.

At the risk of going slightly off-topic, how about some bio's in general on the regular staff ? :lol:

Who they are, what they did, what they are currently doing, what makes them tick etc...

Would be nice to have that on the main site's Info menu (or an "Who are we" button)

Edit: Erhhh... perhaps I should have posted this under suggestions :o

Most of this will be covered in the upcoming "Artists of Obsidian" Calendar. I understand they will be down at the beach in Dana Point this weekend shooting some of the steamier spreads.

Guest Michael Chu
At the risk of going slightly off-topic, how about some bio's in general on the regular staff ?  :)

Edit: Erhhh... perhaps I should have posted this under suggestions  :(

Most of this will be covered in the upcoming "Artists of Obsidian" Calendar. I understand they will be down at the beach in Dana Point this weekend shooting some of the steamier spreads.

:p

Sounds interesting :p

Thanks

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Which Obsidian artists worked on the original IWD? In particular I'm interested in who did the background art, as IWD had the best backgrounds of any IE game IMO.

Also the water effects in IWD were amazing, but saddly not replicated in any IE game since then.

Aaron Brown and Dennis Presnell both worked on IWD levels and possibly Aaron Meyers, but I'm too lazy to go two offices down and ask him. I also worked on a lot of the backgrounds in a 2D capacity. My job was to paint on top of the pre-rendered backgrounds to enhance the look and feel of them and polish them up.

"Haven't got an enemy in the world. Too lazy to make 'em" - The Reluctant Dragon

Aaron Brown and Dennis Presnell both worked on IWD levels and possibly Aaron Meyers, but I'm too lazy to go two offices down and ask him.

Thanks Brian - where are these guys now? At Obsidian or elsewhere?

Both Aarons, Dennis and myself are at Obsisdian.

In that case then let me be the first to say "YES"!!!!

Now please kindly develop a nice isometric CRPG so I can once again enjoy your prodigeous talents re: background art.

Bri Bri is right, I make a few of the levels, half the spells and I might of had a hand in the IWDII movies. The cool looking pages in the book were done by Justin Sweet.

Are you talking about the original IWD or IWD II?

With a few exceptions (such as the underdark areas), I must say I preferred the background art in the original.

I'm looking forward to some Tim Cox concept art with horses, assuming I found the right Tim Cox art samples on the web -)

You're in luck! I'm just finishing up my latest oil painting, "Brandin' Time at the Bantha Ranch"...

excuse me one second. I have to spit.

"p-tinnnnnnng"

somebody pass me another one o' them Lone Stars...

-Tim