FO: NV

Hi Jason!

Does Josh watch you like a hawk when you are posting?

*stares over his shoulder in paranoia*

Back to Serious Land, I just wanted to say hi and let you guys know that a lot of us here watch the forums, and love hearing what you have to say :)

Hi Jason!

Back to Serious Land, I just wanted to say hi and let you guys know that a lot of us here watch the forums, and love hearing what you have to say :)

Awesome. You guys are the best!

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Hi Jason!

Weeehaaaaw! (cowboy style)

You guys know that you are awesome?!

Also as you are here already,

please answer my question:

What is the effect of FEV used on crates?

then in that case let me reiterate my desire to have caesars (sp?) legion be a central part of the story.

less enclave, more raiders and realistically survivalist/merciless towns/factions

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

What is the effect of FEV used on crates?

I believe the answer has to do with a window maker, but I could be wrong. :)

Besides Eric Fenstermaker I think it's pretty safe to assume that Bill Gates is also quite good Window Maker :brows:

Is he a product of FEV then? :p

But he is very far from the perfection of a crate...

Arghh! so many questions!

For my part, I skulk around both the AP forum and FO threads. I just tend to prefer to talk Fallout because it seems so much more open. AP does look like it can carry the day for an initial foray into an FPS title.

Either game certainly looks better than SoZ, on which I passed.

a lot of us here watch the forums, and love hearing what you have to say :)

Fallout 3 was missing tribals (blasphemy I say), you fine folks will show them some love.

...right? :nuke:

Point Lookout is going to have tribals, but it seems like theyre just going to be Raiders by another name :\

Well, the lead designer says it's too early to talk and most of us have many other things to do, so why not just wait and come back later?

because i'm impatient, goddammit. anyway, it's not like Sawyer's opening up a can of worms which is really beans which develops botulism and accidentally eats it and dies if he posts even one goddamn piece of concept art or sth. sheesh. :nuke:

:)

So, when posting to this board, we have to imagine these invisible developers? This sounds like a religion. :lol: Well, I may have sounded like a Van Buren fundamentalist and, indeed, I like some ideas but it is more like that we don't have much info about FO:NV and that the most nearest thing is the past ideas and past works from Obsidian.

I often browse the fora through J.E.Saywer's profile since he is the designer who used to talk of game designs frequently but I feel he was getting cautious then he used to be. I wonder if this is related to his increased responsibility. Indeed, he post some "hi, I'm still browsing the boards" messages but I sometimes envy Dragon Age official boards where the designers talk of game design more frequently, which is one of things I am impressed by Bioware designers (Their story-telling may not my cup of tea but they are people who popularized RTS combat in CRPG with some ancient producers and designers in Obsidian).

Speaking of "hi" messages, I noticed some of the designers began to post in this thread.

*waves* Hi, Eric Windowmaker (isn't your first name the middle name of your boss?) and Jason Fader and Mustang.

Whatever you do, PLEASE make the motibations of the protagonists and antagonists believable beyond the level of a black and white silent movie. NOTHING in FO3 made me feel anyone made sense. If you have to, just throw darts at a Maslow's triangle.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

So is this game being made more or less with the geck editor, or are you free to change underlying game systems.

For example, could you make it so that failing a speech check sends you to specific dialogue instead of generic "Yeah nice try buddy!" lines, or completely revamp how the game handles weapon degredation beyond fiddling with rate multiplyers etc

We coordinate the viability

I used to work in a place where people talked like this all the time.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Ah, nice. I didn't expect such a straightforward answer.

Good to know you have the ability to change things right down to the source code.

One thing I've been trying to do is make it so skill affects accuracy a lot more and doesnt affect the damage the gun does at all

But it's been a pain since the Melee damage formula and Gun damage formula share a lot of the same variables-- except melee doesn't have spread (obviously) and so now the baseball bat you get in the very beginning does 82 damage and never misses (and adding points to the melee skill is completely pointless) Oy.

Ah, nice. I didn't expect such a straightforward answer.

Neither did I, tbch.

Maybe somebody should check and make sure there isn't an alien pod in Josh's office.

I coordinate the viability of things all day, except when I'm not working.

also: this is a personal question for any developers reading this -

Do you prefer to PLAY games that use systems where the skill level of a given weapon (say small guns or rifles or melee or whatever) affects your accuracy or your damage or both? What I'm getting at is where you think the most fun balance lies between systems found infallout 1 (ie only affects accuracy, damage is purely item based) or deus ex and morrowind where it was primarily accuracy but a little effect on damage (please correct me if I am recalling these wrong) or the systems of say fallout 3 where it was primarily damage being affected with only a small effect on accuracy.

again, you don't have to say what you're implementing in F:NV if you can't, but I'm genuinely curious about your own preferences. I know many players hate games where your accuracy is skill based but I wonder how much of that is based on the decision to have a moving reticle (like deus ex where it's size and roving aspect change based on skill) or a fixed reticle with wildly inaccurate shots that dont go where the reticle is pointed (ie I expect most people are ok with a roving reticle as long as the shots go where the reticle is pointed)

lots of questions and subquestions but seriously this is fascinating stuff.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

It was probably like that in Fallout 3 because it was like that in Oblivion.

Aaand it was like that in Oblivion because a ton of people complained about Morrowind's combat which was die-roll heavy (meaning that even if your weapon connected, it could still miss because of low skill) -- Just like a lot of people are complaining about Fallout 3's inaccurate weapons.

I think the main problem is that the game uses a "cone" to figure out where your shots will go-- Meaning, if you were ducked behind a small wall you could end up hitting the wall instead of shooting over it where you're actually aiming.

I think a much better system would be to have the shots always hit the crosshair, but if the bullet actually connects with an enemy it rolls a die to see if it missed based on skill and the enemy's dodge chance. This would also help the problem with enemies moving around during VATS making 95% shot suddenly become a 0%. It would also be a good idea to have the % chance show up in realtime when your crosshair is over a target so the player will KNOW why their shots aren't connecting. (I think that was the major problem with Morrowind, you never knew what your chances were of hitting so instead of knowing you have no chance in hell and running away you'd swing your sword over and over in futility and get killed)

It's too bad the gameplay mechanics thread is dead because these questions are more suited for that one. Not that I really care about keeping the threads tidy, just sayin'.

I was hoping for getting answers in this thread that I simply don't think the devs will answer yet, such as locations we'll be able to visit and some of the underlying political storyline. I would also like to know how many significant factions we'll face. All of that is probably a long way off from discussion, although there really isn't a huge amount of time left and I'm somewhat hopeful that Obsidian might want to showcase some of their artwork that gives clues about locations. I think enterix made the point earlier that concept art isn't likely to change at this point.

As far as mechanics goes, I'd like to know if we can expect to max out virtually all of our skills by the end of the game. I enjoyed Fallout 3. Immensely. However, VATS irritated me, which was fine because I could simply avoid using it. On the other hand, maxing the majority of skills by the time you reach the level cap is crazy. ...And the argument that the player can simply choose not to use the skill points awarded to him as a way to artificially rectify the problem is ridiculous on its face and I've always despised similar arguments for other games as well. If you want a harder game, you should be able to toggle the difficulty. Saying I should be forced to download a mod in order to fix a problem is likewise ridiculous. Unlike a lot of forum monkeys, I'm probably more akin a casual gamer chimp who rarely installs a mod, if ever. I know I rarely used mods for Morrowind and never installed a mod for Oblivion on two runs. I have yet to purchase any DLC for Fallout 3, even being a big fan.

For my purposes, I don't really care if the solution is to include more (reasonable) skills or increase the point max. I would probably prefer to see a higher skill ceiling that allows more options and variation in player choice along with a slight increase skill point allotment at each level. That means that players will still be able to max enough skills to specialize without be able to master all trades. Unless you want to inflate the significance of books, however, you can't just reduce the number of points and keep the max at 100. That would be the solution I'd like the least.