Enemy AI Questions

A few more questions, I am just wondering about some of the mechanics when playing AP. Again, I understand if you cant answer, as you may still be tweaking this.

When using grenades, I noticed in the trailer the NPC,s just stood there (since it is an early build). Can I assume NPC's will react upon hearing a grenade and attempt to take cover? Unless there is some kind of stealth grenade.

Do NPC's react upon seeing a dead or unconscious body? In that, we will need to hide bodies so as not to alert the possibly patrolling NPC's? Or do the bodies just "disappear"?

Do NPC's react upon hearing gunfire? In that you really want to be using silenced weapons so as not to be alerted to your presence.

Do NPC's have an "Alert cool-down", in that say an NPC spots a dead body, and is now alerted that there is someone and thus is now more actively looking for you and possibly harder to take down. But over time, they then go back to the default behavior.

If NPC's are alerted to your presence, is say the area you are trying to infiltrate put on altert/an alarm activated, and much much more difficult to infiltrate. For example in Deus Ex, some areas had an alarm that an NPC would use if they saw you or was alerted to your presence. (Not that sounding the alarm in DX DID anything other than waiting a few minutes for that annoying alarm sound to go away). It would be nice that if such an alarm went off, you are now penalized by say if you are trying to free someone from captivity, if you trigger the alarm, they are killed. That or if an alarm is triggered, all NPC's are now on permanent "alert" status.

Anyways, that's all I have for now.

Thanks!

When using grenades, I noticed in the trailer the NPC,s just stood there (since it is an early build). Can I assume NPC's will react upon hearing a grenade and attempt to take cover? Unless there is some kind of stealth grenade.

They said that the AI was actually *too* good at avoiding grenades prior to that trailer.

Also, I would figure it's pretty much a given that using a silencer has an effect.

I'll respond to this, but then I gotta get back to work :lol:. Just keep in mind that there should be plenty of detailed previews after E3 hits. And if I don't respond to specific questions, usually it's because things are still being worked on.

NPC's will attempt to roll away from grenades, yes. At the moment they're doing it a bit too well. In the end I think the normal grunts will probably be less reactive to grenades than the higher-end enemies and bosses.

I believe it's in the works for enemies to react to seeing dead bodies.

Enemies do react to noise and gunfire. Silencers are available for the pistol, but you deal less damage while they're equipped (at least with the less-expensive silencers).

I don't think I should go into too much detail regarding enemy alert states, but yes, they do have varying degrees of awareness based on things like alarms, having seen Mike, hearing gunfire, etc. And they do decay in awareness over time.

I've probably said too much already! I'm sure you guys are aching for details, but keep in mind that there are a lot of dev diaries and trailers and blogs, etc., to come in the next few months.

Matthew Rorie

Cool. I really hope the AI reactions to corpses (and unconscious bodies) make it in.

I also like the implied confirmation that weapon mods have differing levels of quality.

I'll respond to this, but then I gotta get back to work :). Just keep in mind that there should be plenty of detailed previews after E3 hits. And if I don't respond to specific questions, usually it's because things are still being worked on.

NPC's will attempt to roll away from grenades, yes. At the moment they're doing it a bit too well. In the end I think the normal grunts will probably be less reactive to grenades than the higher-end enemies and bosses.

I believe it's in the works for enemies to react to seeing dead bodies.

I recommend that you guys thread those waters very cautiously. No one wants to play a game where the baddies AI are in the vein of this: "Ooooh, a round object just appeared during the fire-fight. It sure does looks nice, maybe i can pick it up? Oooh, maybe i can even eat it?" It tends to break the immersion.

Likewise, it would break immersion with enemas having ears of a thousand owls, eyes of a thousand spiders and a reactiontime that breaks the time-space dimension (E.g. they know where the grenade will land before you even throw it).

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Likewise, it would break immersion with enemas having ears of a thousand owls, eyes of a thousand spiders and a reactiontime that breaks the time-space dimension (E.g. they know where the grenade will land before you even throw it).

Uh, I can figure out where my grenades are going to hit before they get there. One of the things the human brain is pretty good at is guesstimating trajectories. I don't see why my enemies couldn't look at my grenade and figure out where it's headed.

I don't post if I don't have anything to say, which I guess makes me better than the rest of your so-called "community." 8)

I don't see why my enemies couldn't look at my grenade and figure out where it's headed.

Because it breaks immersion! The immersion will be broken. Is that what you want, to break the immersion? Why don't you care about the immersion?

I don't see why my enemies couldn't look at my grenade and figure out where it's headed.

Because it breaks immersion! The immersion will be broken. Is that what you want, to break the immersion? Why don't you care about the immersion?

How does a human looking at an incoming grenade and going "uh oh, that grenade is going to land near me" and then dodging out of the way break immersion? Please explain.

I don't post if I don't have anything to say, which I guess makes me better than the rest of your so-called "community." 8)

How does a human looking at an incoming grenade and going "uh oh, that grenade is going to land near me" and then dodging out of the way break immersion? Please explain.
before you even throw it.

Obviously, Meshugger was exaggerating. Read the entire post before complaining please. :)

Obviously, Meshugger was exaggerating. Read the entire post before complaining please. :)

The computer couldn't possibly know where it's going to land before I even throw it, since I could change where I'm going to throw it. If it could, they could use that to develop a brilliant system for stock investment, using the AI's ability to see into the future..

Beats me, it's not my immersion that was broken.

Uh, I can figure out where my grenades are going to hit before they get there. One of the things the human brain is pretty good at is guesstimating trajectories. I don't see why my enemies couldn't look at my grenade and figure out where it's headed.

*sigh*

I was using extreme examples in order to get the point through that they should thread carefully when doing A.I.

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

enemas having ears of a thousand owls, eyes of a thousand spiders and a reaction time that breaks the time-space dimension.

That's about the weirdest thing I've ever read on these fora.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

enemas having ears of a thousand owls, eyes of a thousand spiders and a reaction time that breaks the time-space dimension.

I would have to agree.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

Please make the hardest difficulty have that "impossibly good" AI you've been dumbing down.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I would have to agree.

I take deliberate intepretations on how words should be spelt in order to make them sound and look cooler.

Enema is much cooler than 'Enemy' or 'Foe'.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

...enemas having ears of a thousand owls...

Kinky :brows:

Edit: OK, I should definitely have read the entire thread before posting this. :)

Edited by mkreku

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!