Spy game?

This game looks more like fallout than anything related to spying. From the videos there is no spying going on. A lot of gun fights and other stuff that has nothing to do with stealth is going on. I thought this was a spy game. I know you won't change the game but drop the claims that it is a spy rpg.

A lot of gun fights and other stuff that has nothing to do with stealth is going on.

There is stealth, and tiny little bits of it were shown. I guess Obsidian is mostly saving it for later trailers because gunplay simply looks more exciting and will attract more potential customers.

20795.jpg

The game is portraying the secret agent world as seen on TV and in the movies not real-life intelligence gathering. I might find it entertaining roleplaying as a middle-aged female office worker operating a photocopier, but would it have mass-market appeal?

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Er, dialogue system? Gadgets? Stealth?

Wait a second, are we being trolled again?

Yeah, I found another proxy and made another alt-account, just so it would be a surprise this time.

Please. This is not a troll.

I don't post if I don't have anything to say, which I guess makes me better than the rest of your so-called "community." 8)

There are definitely missions in the game where stealth is an asset, and you will be doing typical spy-type actions. Stuff like entering a building full of guards and attempting to hack a computer behind a locked door on the top floor, then escaping without anyone knowing you were ever there.

We try pretty hard to ensure that people can either stealth their way through missions or go through with guns blazing, though (though there may be consequences to killing everyone you see, obviously). But I'm sure we'll do a dev diary or walkthrough trailer on the stealth mechanics at some point so you guys can see how it works for yourself.

Matthew Rorie

Please make the "guns blazing" path really, really difficult. Otherwise I always get lazy when I fail my stealth and degrade to blazing gun tactics..

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

By the same token though, it'd be best if stealth characters don't automatically fail a mission when they lose the element of surprise.

No, I don't think anything that extreme is going to be in the cards.

Matthew Rorie

By the same token though, it'd be best if stealth characters don't automatically fail a mission when they lose the element of surprise.

From a game design point of view, I agree. Just as with the combat-heavy approach, in most circumstances a single poor decision/guess/roll shouldn't put the whole mission into a fail state. But this can be tough to pull off from a believability point of view. If you trigger an alarm, if you're spotted by a guard, or if you're forced to use a noisy firearm, it's tough to come up with a credible in-game mechanic that gets things back to the base state of boring ol' security patrols so that you can resume sneaky infiltration. (I think we can agree that guards just going back to their normal patrol routes once an alarm has been hacked into the "off" state is lame.)

Perhaps a "reset" function-- jump out the window and come back to the site a week later? Or maybe the handlers have a one time "get out of jail free" trick (a cyber attack on security systems? calling the fire department? detonating a charge in the cafe across the street as a distraction?) that they'd prefer not to use, but can if you get into trouble.

Do you get extra XP (or something equivalent) if you actually complete a "mission" as requested.

For example, in Bloodlines when you are sent on the Boat mission, you are specifically asked not to be seen or kill anyone. If you can pull this off correctly, you are rewarded more XP for doing so.

I dunno, I guess believability kind of went out the windows when I saw the CQC animations :)

I don't think stealth characters necessarily need to be able to reboot the world, but they should be able to fight their way out of a mistake and then escape to another area before every enemy in the level shows up. Ergo, the alarm was tripped and everybody is looking for Thornton, but they don't magically know where he is or what he looks like so stealth can proceed.

Okay, authentically speaking the enemies would clear the entire building in teams, covering each others' backs at all times and maneuvering so that you couldn't get around them. I haven't seen many games even *attempt* this kind of realism though; it seems unlikely that a hybrid game would innovate where pure shooters have failed.

• 3 weeks later...
This game looks more like fallout than anything related to spying. From the videos there is no spying going on. A lot of gun fights and other stuff that has nothing to do with stealth is going on. I thought this was a spy game. I know you won't change the game but drop the claims that it is a spy rpg.

The term spy covers all sorts of different ideas and genres. So lets see: action is essential, guns...or coarse, assassinations, sneaking around, breaking into buildings/safes/computers, meeting strange and very sociopathic characters, saving lives.

You see this in many special forces/assassin/law enforcement/spy thrillers. What actually makes it a spy game is the story/settings. As far as we know u play as a secret agent in exotic locals so I'd say it looks like a spy game to me.

FYI: Game footage has shown the main character sneaking around plenty of times so the game obviously has plenty of stealth.

"Some people are always trying to iceskate uphill."

Blade(Wesley Snipes) from the movie Blade.

Edited for content

"The first human who hurled an insult instead of a stone was the founder of civilization." - Sigmund Freud