BREAKING NEWS: NEW DRAGON AGE GOTY TRAILER

Seriously, though, this trailer was aimed at a different demographic than classical CRPG players. Although it seems much maligned both here and on BioWare boards, it is nothing to get worked up about - after all, expanding the popularity of CRPGs by marketing the game to people in other game market segments may get them to play the CRPG and some of them might find that CRPGs actually have a lot to offer, thus expanding the market for them and benefiting us all. :banghead:

Hey, there's nothing wrong with optimism, it's almost refreshing.

I'm sure all Bio are trying to do is introduce new people to DaRK HeROic FAntAsY!!!

sonsofgygax.JPG

I'm thankful DA is not BG. BG is dead. I played it, I enjoyed it, I moved on.Good riddance to good rubbish. Been there done that, don't have the tshirt but I got the memories. If someone wants to play BG then go play BG.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Didn't the BGs sell like a million units each, or something? I'd say there's good money in making a game like that, considering there's no competition for that consumer base.

This marketing drive by developers and publishers to sell all the games they make to the exact same group of people seems idiotic to me. Selling games to the minimum coomon denominator doesn't appear to be particularly good business when: a) everyone under the moon is trying to sell their games to that demographic; and b) games that sell to that crowd require bigger budgets due to the investment in graphics and audio that is needed to make the sales.

It's like a recipe for commercial failure.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Sweet mother mary jesus, that was bad. Keyboardcat, play them off.

Actually, this site makes more sense than that horrendous trailer.

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Didn't the BGs sell like a million units each, or something? I'd say there's good money in making a game like that, considering there's no competition for that consumer base.

This marketing drive by developers and publishers to sell all the games they make to the exact same group of people seems idiotic to me. Selling games to the minimum coomon denominator doesn't appear to be particularly good business when: a) everyone under the moon is trying to sell their games to that demographic; and b) games that sell to that crowd require bigger budgets due to the investment in graphics and audio that is needed to make the sales.

It's like a recipe for commercial failure.

BG as a series sold 4 million copies.

Bio has always been a bit heavy-handed with the melodrama when it comes to their storytelling, so the "night to remember" thing was just par for the course, but... wow.

Did a lot of jumping around when I watched snippets from the video -- is times like this when I'm thankful I'm still on dial-up, otherwise I'd have been tempted to watch the video as a whole instead of in bits -- but is clear that this bit of PR isn't aimed at me in any way. Am no fan of the music, and the graphic depictions of face-eating/blood spatter are things I tolerate in games, rather than play them for.

Certainly seems to be generating some kinda buzz, though, as far as videos go. Gotta give props to Marketing for that. Timing's pretty good too: disgruntled fans will forget all about this video as soon as the next bit of PR comes along, provided it isn't more of the same, but those who were attracted to this game by the video (or even all the hand-wringing surrounding the video) might just stick around to learn more.

I can't wait for the new fox news report, "In the latest conspiracy to manipulate our children by the far left, in this fantasy sex simulator you play a knight on a quest to have sexual intercourse with as many women as possible."

DA:O will be a commercial success, no doubt about it.

Then again, The Sims is a commercial success. A commercial success is a laudable achievement, no matter how crass and brain-dead the product. OTOH, a critical commercial success is better.

Hey-ho. I'm expecting DA:O to be campy, pretentious fun with a half-decent combat engine. Nothing more and nothing less. I fear, however, for the delicate souls of the Bioware fan forums though. They were hoping for a Jane Austen of CRPGs but are getting a penny dreadful.

As somebody else might say, Ha! Good fun!

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

I think BioWare should have dropped Dragon Age years ago, we've seen enough LotR bullsh*t already in the gaming world.

...though it would be funny if you could be rude and disrespectful to all the uber-serious elves and magical dragons.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

The trailer was cut by someone who didnt know the first thing about camerawork or editing.

Also that "romance" scene was puke worthy. Could Bioware get more shallow in that respect?

Edited by Promethean

I can't wait for the new fox news report, "In the latest conspiracy to manipulate our children by the far left, in this fantasy sex simulator you play a knight on a quest to have sexual intercourse with as many women as possible."

Ummm... We have that already, it's called The Witcher... :ermm:

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Ummm... We have that already, it's called The Witcher... :ermm:

Which will have better writing I wonder...

I havent been impressed with Bio's writing on a game as a complete work since BG II. They have been using the same archetypes since then with a few deviations each game.

In fact, I think it could be just another NWN2 in the worst case.

Except it will be BioWare and not Obsidian making the story and, frankly, I think the latter is better than the former when it comes to that. :ermm:

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Hey-ho. I'm expecting DA:O to be campy, pretentious fun with a half-decent combat engine. Nothing more and nothing less. I fear, however, for the delicate souls of the Bioware fan forums though. They were hoping for a Jane Austen of CRPGs but are getting a penny dreadful.

Heh. Anyone hoping for a Jane Austin from any video game needs a nerf bat upside the head. :) Bio makes some of the most story-heavy games out there but "subtlety" isn't their strong suit any more than world building is, and that tends to hurt the story sometimes, IMO. Maybe subtlety isn't even possible in game stories, though, except tangentially; too many people wouldn't pick up on it amidst the gaming if it was the point. Bio games are too streamlined these days to allow for many tangents, good or bad.

I'd say you're right on track with your expectations, though (which is to say, they're in agreement with my own :D). Will be a bit more splattery than we're used to from BioWare, I think, but the camp factor will be off the charts, I'm betting. Game's gotta be epic, after all, and epic == BIG. Big swords. Big decisions. Big battles. Big personalities. Big hair.

Am lookin' forward to it. :ermm:

DA:O will be a commercial success, no doubt about it.

Then again, The Sims is a commercial success. A commercial success is a laudable achievement, no matter how crass and brain-dead the product. OTOH, a critical commercial success is better.

As somebody else might say, Ha! Good fun!

Cheers

MC

Ummm how was The Sims not a critical success as well? Hell DA:O is right in line with industry trends. I would be shocked if it wasnt a critical success.