Questions about Obsidian

Krayon

Hey, I'm doing a company profile on Obsidian for a university project and tracking down info is really really difficult, at least decent stuff is. It's like these guys hide behind a half baked mask.

I need to know this information:

Company History:

Briefly describe the company’s history, focusing on key products or events. Things like mergers and takeovers, signing or resignation of key staff and other similar events can be discussed here.

Primary Markets:

Where does the company do the majority of its business? (I know it's worldwide, but I'm hoping there might be some specifics.)

Main Products or Services:

What sets it apart from similar titles.

Areas of Strength:

Many things can make a company strong. Here you can discuss things like prominent titles (eg. GTA) or well-known programmers. Strength can also come from new technology, key licenses, or tapping a new market or a host of other variables.

Potential Weaknesses:

Examine the things that might affect the company’s profitability in future. For example, more sophisticated hardware means larger production teams which can cripple a small company. Saturation of a particular market can make it difficult for companies to compete, especially if other companies have larger marketing budgets.

Main Competitors:

Other companies offering similar products or services. The aim is build up a picture of the market in which your chosen company competes, and to determine where it is positioned in relation to its competitors. You might want to structure this section in terms of comparative strengths and weaknesses.

Yeah, pretty much copied verbatim. Any information you can give me would be very helpful, I'm perfectly happy for you to go slightly off on a tangent if it's discussing obsidian in some way.

Cheers, all.

Just keep in mind that as a privately-owned company, Obsidian isn't legally required to provide these kind of details to the public. Not that it wouldn't be great to help you with your project, but providing details on stuff like "takeovers", "potential weaknesses", or "resignation of key staff" probably isn't going to be something we can do in this forum, or quite likely any other.

I can say that Obsidian was founded in 2003 by the owners mentioned above by Syraxis. Our first project was Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II, which was followed by Neverwinter Nights 2, Mask of the Betrayer, and Storm of Zehir. We're currently working on Alpha Protocol, Fallout: New Vegas, and other stuff.

Our main products are computer and console role-playing games, with an emphasis on deep and involved storylines.

One area of strength is the experience of our team. Our owners have something like 80+ years of experience in the gaming industry between them, which makes it easier to deal with the trials and tribulations that come along with game development.

Matthew Rorie

I can say that Obsidian was founded in 2003 by the owners mentioned above by Syraxis. Our first project was Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II, which was followed by Neverwinter Nights 2, Mask of the Betrayer, and Storm of Zehir. We're currently working on Alpha Protocol and Fallout: New Vegas.

What a telling omission you've got there Mr. Rorie.

I can say that Obsidian was founded in 2003 by the owners mentioned above by Syraxis. Our first project was Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II, which was followed by Neverwinter Nights 2, Mask of the Betrayer, and Storm of Zehir. We're currently working on Alpha Protocol and Fallout: New Vegas.

Happy now? :lol:

Matthew Rorie

Happy now? :)

Well, no mention of Aliens... ;):o:)

Still, this "other stuff" is intruguing - I hope some revelations are coming soon (though admitedly, the recent revelation of Fallout: New Vegas was pretty momentous).

Heh, well Mr Rorie, you have your own reasons I gather. If you can't share your information, that's a fair enough from me. Thankfully I planned for that eventuality and decided Bioware might be more forthcoming.

As it happens, they are.

I will say that I am impressed that you guys at Obsidian actually pay attention to these threads and forums, it shows you appreciate the community, to some degree or other. So kudos.

Heh, well Mr Rorie, you have your own reasons I gather. If you can't share your information, that's a fair enough from me. Thankfully I planned for that eventuality and decided Bioware might be more forthcoming.

As it happens, they are.

They sort of have to be. BioWare is part of EA, which is a publically-traded company and thus required to release certain information. Obsidian, by contrast, is a privately held company.