Endless Worlds: A new game engine

ToadyOne (of Dwarf Fortress fame) has inspired me to begin a project that has long been on my mind. As an avid D&D fan, I've found frequent, short-lived enjoyment in games of the franchise, such as Neverwinter Nights, Pools of Radiance, Baldur's Gate/Icewind Dale series, and the many others. However, these stories are usually quite linear and offer limited customization or adhere to a different ruleset entirely than the pen & paper classic. I found 4th edition to be a tabletop MMO, and missing the element of nerdy complexity that separated previous generations of the gaming world.

So in light of this monkey on my shoulder, I've embarked on a perilous quest to create the ideal d20-based game engine that allows customization beyond the user's fantasy and opens itself to a plethora of entertainment in creativity and the everyday enjoyment of killing evil monsters. So I present: Endless Worlds.

A Java-based game engine in a massive randomly or user created breathing world that can be explored much the same as if you were rolling the dice on the ole' table-top. I hope to support TCP/IP multiplayer with even a gamemaster in the future. The possibilities are endless. I don't have a forum up yet, and the development log will be prepared shortly. I hope to gain all your support in the future!

Here's the website:

www.arboreantears.com/endlessworlds/index.html

Thanks everyone!

OK. Item one: morality.

Is morality going to be simple like DD or complex, like White Wolf?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

OK. Item one: morality.

Is morality going to be simple like DD or complex, like White Wolf?

Morality will hopefully be however you wish to describe it in your settings. I plan to make it a series from 0-100 for Good/Evil and for Law/Chaos, with labels for subsections at the user's whim. I personally like to leave morality gray in my games, so I wish to support this, but due to DnD 3.5 core rules involving alignment as a core function, it must be a present system, but you'd be able to take those spell-specifics and damage reduction requirements out of the game and create one in which alignment need not be defined.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry mate, but good evil as an axis? Take a look around these forums. Tell me where we all lie on that axis, and how come we agree on nothing?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.