Windows 7 Thread

Bokishi

Coolness. I need to download it but once I do I might try it, or I might not as I have only recently repaired one PC and do not like the idea of installing a completely new OS on it. :)

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Could someone test the VM for Win XP and see if

a) it really only works with processors using AMD-V (all Athlons after S939 and Phenoms) or Intel Pacifica (C2D 8xxx, C2Q 9xxx and ...?), and

b) it really only emulates an S3 Trio for graphics card, thus won't be able to run games?

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

I have not tried Windows 7, but what I want from an OS is something that's as direct a path between my own applications and my hardware as possible. No BS, no resource hogging extra fluff, no draconian security systems. Does Windows 7 fulfil that criteria? Then I'm interested. If not, then I just don't see the need to upgrade from my Windows XP yet again.

A new OS should entice me to upgrade. It should bring something better to the table or it's useless. This is why Vista failed. The only thing it brought to the table was a lot of forced-on memory hogging applications that you basically couldn't say no to.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

38% downloaded at this point. hitting about 480 kB/s so it will be another hour before finishing. i'll play with it on saturday. my plan is to put 7 on this rig, then move XP Pro (current OS) to my wife's rig, then move XP Home (her current OS) to my son's rig which is currently running win2k. hmmm... maybe i'll just shift XP Pro to john's rig. he needs XP to play the online games he likes. win2k doesn't work with the latest flash i think.

fortunately, i don't have much to back up. i can probably get everything i need backed up to fit on a CD. i don't generate many files now that i'm done with school, and i don't download much anymore either.

i agree, mkreku, vista sucked. it's on my laptop, which gets turned on only to log my students' grades. i suppose i can grade their labs on it, too, but usually i just pull them up from here.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Some shots of 7 in action

7-1.jpg

7-2.jpg

wallpapers can be configured to be a slideshow

7-3.jpg

Paint also got a nice overhaul, still no photoshop however

7-5.jpg

changing something to be run in "Vista" compatibility is just LOL

7-6.jpg

Edited by Bokishi

Samm I did a virtualization test of Windows 98 and it finds S3 Trio emulated videocard and a Pentium 3 in place of my C2D

7-4.jpg

also it's almost impossible to browse today's web with IE5; many sites are distorted

Edited by Bokishi

I have never payed for an OS in my life, so I'm kinda curious. What does it cost.

I suppose they have Windows 7 basic, professional, windows 7 for shot people, for tall people, for red headed stepchildren. etc.

$400 or so for the full versions. i guess the server versions could be more expensive. i have bought winders a few times, but managed to find deals. i think i paid around $200 or so for xp pro and just over $100 for xp home. red-headed step-children always pay more, from what i understand.

wishful thinking, gfted1. -_-

taks

7-5.jpg

... Bok, you killed me with that one. :fdevil:

Win7 looks pretty ... but as mkreku said "I want from an OS is something that's as direct a path between my own applications and my hardware as possible. No BS, no resource hogging extra fluff, no draconian security systems."

Pretty isn't enough, nor are "new features" I have no need for. More info required.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

i've been fighting windows all day. i have a program i'm installing that simply hangs the system. i got to the update (to install the latest service pack), and it was even worse. i ended up having to uninstall mcafee because it won't allow me to use msconfig to adjust my startup, which is filled with the usual bloat suspects. sigh... i've restarted the system 10 times in the past hour now. fortunately, the SP update is at 99%! woohoo!

oh, in relation to this thread, i'm hoping that THIS PROBLEM goes away with 7. windows is a pain when something locks up, and it is difficult to kill the offending programs. that's bad design, IMO. i particularly hate adobe PDFs that get embedded into IE. argh.

taks

Meaning, if I download this now am I basically insuring myself a free full version via eventual updates?

Yes and no. Yes, it will update to a full version but, no, you will not own a full version and will, unless you like having your PC shut-down after two-hours, have to buy a license.

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Bokishi: Oh, it offers Win 98 as well? Nice, and thanks for testing :) I wouldn't want to display any webpage in an IE browser before IE7, better 8 :woot: Registered to: Bill :fdevil: Did you test any games on it?

i ended up having to uninstall mcafee
Well, that is one piece of slowdown right there. At least it is in our office...
i particularly hate adobe PDFs that get embedded into IE. argh.
Can be changed in properties of a) Adobe Reader and b) Firefox. Edited by samm

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

Hopefully this is a winner. Microsoft OSes seem to be good ever other release. Starting with 3.X, Win98SE and finally WinXP. The others in between were garbage. At least their server series software is good.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Meaning, if I download this now am I basically insuring myself a free full version via eventual updates?

Yes and no. Yes, it will update to a full version but, no, you will not own a full version and will, unless you like having your PC shut-down after two-hours, have to buy a license.

It has a timed kill switch? Seriously? I too have never actually purchased an OS other then the ones that come preinstalled.

It has a timed kill switch? Seriously?

Yep. According to Microsoft your PC will shut down every two hours after Windows 7 goes retail unless you downgrade or enter a license.

-Hurlshot

I have the .iso burned, I'm just too lazy to install it, partion my hd, etc... Is it worth the effort?

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

As with any major upgrade I see no reason not to wait for at least the first service pack, and until issues are known. I'm just glad they are still supporting XP (I think).

I have not tried Windows 7, but what I want from an OS is something that's as direct a path between my own applications and my hardware as possible. No BS, no resource hogging extra fluff, no draconian security systems. Does Windows 7 fulfil that criteria? Then I'm interested. If not, then I just don't see the need to upgrade from my Windows XP yet again.

The only thing it brought to the table was a lot of forced-on memory hogging applications that you basically couldn't say no to.

I agree. I don't want things like 'Aero' (though I know that this particular one can be turned off) that pointlessly take up extra memory. What I want is a stable operating system that has a normal graphical/windows interface, good compatibility with programs (including backwards compatibility) and indeed does not have draconian security that will annoy me every five seconds. This is why I wasn't thrilled with Windows Vista and stuck to Windows XP.

I understand that Windows 7 is based on Windows Vista, but what Bokishi said about it being designed to run on netbooks does give me hope for the new OS, because it probably means that it cannot include too many useless memory-hogging features. Stability of Windows Vista is supposed to be pretty good, so I don't mind if that carries over to Windows 7 and the interface will probably be normal windows-like (hopefully they won't make too many pointless changes just to be different). Compatibility with older programs is something that I am a bit worried about - Windows Vista had at best a mixed record on that one (though it improved dramatically with SP1 in my experience when I had to deal with Windows 7).

I used to dislike Vista, but then I took the time to learn it and tune it. HL-2 Lost Coast ended up running faster in Vista than it did in XP (it was only a gain of about about ~5fps).

I'm confident Windows 7 will be even better.

There are none that are right, only strong of opinion. There are none that are wrong, only ignorant of facts

As with any major upgrade I see no reason not to wait for at least the first service pack, and until issues are known. I'm just glad they are still supporting XP (I think).

I still get security updates, so I guess so.

It will be nice to mess around with a new OS without that trademark Vista sinking feeling. :)

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)