So I was loading my old GOTY Deus Ex when ...

WHy? Is it a bad engine for stealth gameplay? Shadows, climbing, sneaking?

I woud think any engine that can handle TOmb Raider's gameplay would have to be pretty robust as far as level design and jumping/climbing/falling etc. WHich is what a Thief game needs.

Climbing/jumbing/falling.

Exactly. That's what a Thief game is all about. :p

I expect at least an engine that is programmed from scratch for the special needs of a worthy Thief sequal.

The Dark Engine WAS awesome, true.

But as long as an engine can be modified to handle shadows, stealth, sound propagation, and climbing, then it has at least a chance of being good.

If the same engine is being used for both DX3 and Thief 4, then it must have some useful functionality that makes it work for these sorts of games.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Except, that the TR engine, from what I've played, is complete garbage. Everything looks like plastic, and feels too console game-y. I refuse to believe that that engine, no matter how much they modify it, will power Thief 4.

We will know on monday when we hopefully get to see first screenshots. Trust me, I'm really very emotional about this franchise, they better not screw it up.

Edited by Morgoth

Except, that the TR engine, from what I've played, is complete garbage. Everything looks like plastic, and feels too console game-y. I refuse to believe that that engine, no matter how much they modify it, will power Thief 4.

We will know on monday when we hopefully get to see first screenshots. Trust me, I'm really very emotional about this franchise, they better not screw it up.

Wasn't the same engine used for both Invisible War and Deadly Shadows? In IW the engine didn't seem very good, but was pretty OK in Deadly Shadows.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Wow, this way NOTHING will ever please you, so why do you even bother?

yeah Unreal engine was used for those two sequels and things looked plastic there already but in the end it was quite alright. And here they have full support of the people that made the engine available if they need it. Anything can be done if you have the right people to do it.

Edited by Majek

1.13 killed off Ja2.

Wasn't the same engine used for both Invisible War and Deadly Shadows? In IW the engine didn't seem very good, but was pretty OK in Deadly Shadows.

It was better in DS, granted, but still felt too compromised. There's no reason these days to compromise the Thief franchise again with a horrible clunky consol-y game engine. Thief deserves better.

Console is almost always the lead platform, deal with it. The IW and DS engine was also used for Project Snowblind, and not only looked terrific, but also allowed a bunch of AI allies before that became all the rage.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

What are you talking about? Oil dipped faces?

The faces in UE3 games tend to look very sweaty/glistening.

Only if the artists get it wrong.

I think the shiny effect is a default in the engine and the smarter designers turn it off. It does come up surprisingly ofter, though. Most of the splicers in Bioshock look like they're made of shiny Play-Doh, same for the dogs in Silent Hill: Homecoming.

I'm really tired of seeing UE3, so I'll be glad if DX/Thief use something else. I think the plasticky look is prevalent in most modern games, and has to do with not supporting skin translucense.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Uh, Assassin's Creed engine anyone? Maybe an upgrade on what they used for Splinter Cell?

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Uh, Assassin's Creed engine anyone? Maybe an upgrade on what they used for Splinter Cell?

Why would Eidos use an Ubisoft engine?

Eidos got purchased by Square Enix, and Ubisoft has publishing agreements with Ubisoft for Japan and vice versa... i would not be surprised if they made some agreements about crosslicensing some stuff aswell...

In other words SE is in very close relationship with Ubisoft

Edited by Mamoulian War

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

• 2 weeks later...
And having played IW we should be excited because???

... Because even though Highlander 2 was made, Highlander 3 was okay. And yes, I'm aware that my analogy means that Deus Ex 3 would be a repeat of the first game (with some small tweaks, like Mario van Peebles instead of the Kurgan bad guy, but with the same vocal special effects:), but I'd play a plain remake of the first game ... with some small updates, like cross-wind when trying to snipe (for example).

:lol:

]Highlander 3[/i] was okay.

No.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat: