So I was loading my old GOTY Deus Ex when ...

So I got System Shock 2 and found out it can't be played on XP.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

So I got System Shock 2 and found out it can't be played on XP.

I play it on XP all the time.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I've had trouble making it run properly, actually. I get the first loading screen after the intro cinematic then the screen goes black.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I've read somewhere that they're using the Assassin's Creed engine for Deus Ex 3 so I am excited! I just wish they would start the hype machine soon so we get more to look at than that linked teaser.

By the way, I thought the technology in Assassin's Creed was amazing. So beautiful, vast and smooth. If only it hadn't suffered from so much consolitis (forced widescreen, idiotic controls, weird save system etc.) and repetitive gameplay, it would have been a classic. I am sure they're aware of these flaws by now though so both Assassin's Creed 2 and Deus Ex 3 (if that rumour about the tech turns out to be true) won't make the same mistakes again.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Did you set it to run on win 98 compatibility?

Were it that simple, I wouldn't talk about it.

Did you set it to run on win 98 compatibility?

Were it that simple, I wouldn't talk about it.

Odd. I have no problems at all running it on XP. You might try looking as some of the FAQ's here:

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=78

See the stickies at the top.

Oddly enough I've been looking at that thread for the past two days.

This is where the conversation stops. :rolleyes:

And having played IW we should be excited because???

Because the people behind IW have nothing to do with DX3?

I've read somewhere that they're using the Assassin's Creed engine for Deus Ex 3 so I am excited!

It's using the Tomb Raider Underworld engine.

Also, Thief 4 will be announced on the 11th of this month.

This is where the conversation stops. :)

Instead why not spend a few bucks and enjoy a really excellent game:

http://www.amazon.com/System-Shock-2-Pc/dp...063&sr=8-11

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Yay

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

It's using the Tomb Raider Underworld engine.

What? Nooo!

Damn you, Eurogamer forum, for tricking me!

I've read somewhere that they're using the Assassin's Creed engine for Deus Ex 3

Does Ubisoft even offer that to be licensed?

I have no idea. I think the main idea was that Eidos Montreal (who are developing Deus Ex 3, apparently) would collaborate with Ubisoft Montreal (who made Assassin's Creed) or something like that. I didn't give it much thought at the time, but now that you mention it, it might sound a bit.. unrealistic.

And having played IW we should be excited because???

Because the people behind IW have nothing to do with DX3?

The IW people are mostly the ones who made DX, so this one could go either way. Apparently Warren Spector is tired of cyberpunk stuff and is working on a Disney license...

On a sidenote SS2 works perfectly on my PC with XP SP3 and on my Asus 1000H netbook with XP SP3 without any compatability modes. And my netbook doesn't have a cd/dvd drive...

WHy? Is it a bad engine for stealth gameplay? Shadows, climbing, sneaking?

I woud think any engine that can handle TOmb Raider's gameplay would have to be pretty robust as far as level design and jumping/climbing/falling etc. WHich is what a Thief game needs.

WHy? Is it a bad engine for stealth gameplay? Shadows, climbing, sneaking?

I woud think any engine that can handle TOmb Raider's gameplay would have to be pretty robust as far as level design and jumping/climbing/falling etc. WHich is what a Thief game needs.

Climbing/jumbing/falling.

Exactly. That's what a Thief game is all about. :p

I expect at least an engine that is programmed from scratch for the special needs of a worthy Thief sequal.