My first Passover

Cantousent

I'm a Roman Catholic, but I did have the opportunity to attend a Passover meal tonight. I bent the rules in that I consumed meat on Good Friday, which is against the tenets of my faith.

The one thing I can say, and I will admit this openly for the folks who practice Judaism, that the Jews in question were Messianic. I

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

then visit a mosque too, one day. it will sure be worth it, considering you as a peron interested in religions. it's good to see that not all religious people are so childishly fixed on their own ("one and only") belief. :blink:

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

If I had the opportunity to visit a mosque, I would. Normally, though, such opportunities come from knowing folks who practice the religion. I've known Jewish folks, but no Muslims. In fact, I used to pal around with an Iranian for a few years. Great guy, but he pretty much hated religion. He was a devout atheist. I got the impression that he blamed religion for the fact that he had to leave his country. Of course, he had quite an interesting life, having fled from Iran to Germany and then come to the United States. Absolutely brilliant fellow, though. He got his degree in physics and left to study back east.

I'm sure I have to know someone who's Muslim, but I don't tend to question folks I meet about their religion. The folks with whom I've become good enough friends to know what religion they are haven't been Muslim. It's just a matter of time, though, I'm certain. I'm sure I'll get the opportunity, assuming it's not an affront to their beliefs, to see the inside of a mosque. They're quite interesting from the outside.

As far as entertaining the idea of other faiths... I dunno, maybe I'm just not threatened in my religious beliefs. When push comes to shove, I am a Roman Catholic. I'm not ashamed to admit it and I profess my faith freely. Still, I share one trait with everyone regardless of religion or lack thereof, and that's humanity.

Anyhow, if I start saying nasty things about other folks religions, or attacking atheists, then they might point out some ugly business in my church. I don't want to throw a stone lest I find out that one of the walls of my house is made of glass. :blink:

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I did some Hannukah stuff with my girlfriends family this year, but they were pretty half hearted about it.

She/we didn't do anything for passover, but then we aren't doing anything for easter either.

It was interesting. The best Muslim thing I ever saw was Ramadan, the feasts in the middle of the night. I was at an international college so there were people all over the world sharing food together at 3am. I never took part but it seemed like fun, so if you get the chance thats what I'd do.

Strangely I also have an Iranian firend who fled to Germany.

Well, Easter is technically the most important holy day of Christianity. I couldn't tell that by the people trying to run me down in the parking lot after mass today. You know, I'm always struck by how rude folks are as they leave church. You're in there, being told about Christ's peaceful message and then cursing your neighbor because you want to get out of the parking lot before he does. duh.

I mean, if you can't be peaceful to a fellow Christian who has done nothing against you, how can you be peaceful towards anyone else?

Still, if you can survive the traffic, Easter would be the day to celebrate with Christians. In all other respects, it is a beautiful day.

I say this because:

Christmas day has ceased to be the main holiday, at least to Roman Catholics, because it is the promise of salvation whereas Easter is the fulfillment.

Christmas is more of a secular holiday. I don't have anything against that. If folks get together to celebrate and give gifts well, that can't be all bad.

Obsidian Plays

Lovecraft literally shudders in his grave. ...And, with Lovecraft, that could very well be true,

Obsidian Plays

Lovecraft literally shudders in his grave. ...And, with Lovecraft, that could very well be true,

No, I'm not one of those people who think that Lovecraft's tales were based on true stories, and that Abdul al-Hazrid summoned demons before tea time on Saturdays. I merely find the mythos interesting enough to found a religion around it, and when I get off my ass to do so, most of it will have been invented by yours truly to begin with.

Forget the religion thing. The world's full of 'em. Instead, make a really good CRPG that does him justice!

Obsidian Plays

Forget the religion thing. The world's full of 'em. Instead, make a really good CRPG that does him justice!

I'm not a game designer. besides, a cthulhu religion makes a good front -- not that I'd ever do this, you silly feds -- for an anarchist organization, which is kind of not legal D:

The difference in the Messianic seder vs the standard Jewish seder is really in the epilogue. You find the afikommen (the unleavened bread symbolizing the Messiah), whereas the standard seder leaves the afikommen hidden, symbolizing that the Messiah is still to come.