Scott Rouse hints 4E game

Avin

I'd love a 4th ED game. PnP 4the Ed is a great game. I really can't understand all those haters that haven't even tried the game.

I have played only a couple of sessions, but the experience was better than with 3.5. If the product is good, I buy it. Although I dislike the drastic changes made to FR, Obsidian has the ability to craft a great story. I don't care if Elminster is a madman, wears pink dress or whatever. I keep my fingers crossed for the designer.

I hated 4e DnD. I have both ran the game and played it as a player. All the classes play basically the same. Minitures is absolutely necessary unlike previous editions. 4e DnD is a money pit just like WotC's CCGs and just as pathetic.

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

I haven't played 4e but like every edition since 1e there's stuff I like and stuff I don't like about it.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

The mechanics are easier. In 3.5E I had to memorize a lot, which is not the case with 4E. However, I agree that the classes play more or less the same - sure, there are distinct roles, but every class has the same number of basic abilities (powers). Nevertheless, it seems to me that 4E CRPG can be an entertaining game - I'm curious how the designers will implement the core mechanics.

Simplicity is a good feature. Oversimplicity is not, but it's not the case with 4E. The game is fun.

The neat thing about having the classes play the same is I think players may be more willing to move out of their niche. You know, the guy who ALWAYS plays a halfling rogue or a Elven bard or whatever because they're so used to how they work might be tempted to experiment if the basics of each class are all very similar.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I disagree. If every class is basically the same then what is the point in having different classes? The fun in gaming to s figure out the strengths and weaknesses of the character based on what he can and cannot do. ALso how to use those strengths and weaknesses in a team environment. 4e takes away that level of fun.

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

I disagree. If every class is basically the same then what is the point in having different classes? The fun in gaming to s figure out the strengths and weaknesses of the character based on what he can and cannot do. ALso how to use those strengths and weaknesses in a team environment. 4e takes away that level of fun.

I don't think they are the same; I think that logistically they *play* the same - ie you have certain things each round/encounter/day that you're able to do that have certain strategic effects within the role you have within your part. So people don't need to feel entrenched in a particular character type as being the only one they know to play.

There are still things than any given class isn't going to do well (that's the point of the Leader/Striker/Defender/Controller idea of team management).

Its all Use Funky Power, based on stat, roll d20. Damage is the same regardless of class. Only real difference is which stat is used and nothing else. Just tell me, just on game mechanics, what is the real difference between a warlock and a rogue? No fluff, just game mechanic wise. No real difference at all.

Haven't played the game, mind you, but my look through the Rogue and Warlock seemed to indicate the Rogue was still supposed to be best in the sneak and theivery skills as they're trained in it. Combat seemed to be oriented to sneak attacks type special attacks.

The Warlock seems to be a short distance attacker with a lot of status effect abilities to add to their Eldrich Blast.

Actually you can have a Warlock with just as good as a Rogue when it comes to the Thievery skills. Also the sneak attack isn't all that great.

Its all Use Funky Power, based on stat, roll d20.

True. Pretty boring stuff. There is no distinction between the professions anymore.

A new - good - system should allow for more creativity. Ex. instead of one power or feat called "sword dance", tailor the system so a player can choose to divide his attack into several attacks, thus creating a 'sword-dance'-effect. This way you open up for roleplaying and creative-gameplay instead of turning it into a pre-packaged Magic-the-Gathering type of cardgame..

Also, the artwork is pretty shallow. Pretty colours, completely void of realism. Stuff drawn for kids.

J.

Edited by Junai

Actually you can have a Warlock with just as good as a Rogue when it comes to the Thievery skills. Also the sneak attack isn't all that great.

I wasn't aware that was the case; I don't remember seeing Thievery on the list of skills a Warlock could take - but again I've not tried to play the game.

And whether sneak attack is "great" or not is irrelevant in terms of setting a class apart from another class.

Edited by Amentep

I wasn't aware that was the case; I don't remember seeing Thievery on the list of skills a Warlock could take - but again I've not tried to play the game.

And whether sneak attack is "great" or not is irrelevant in terms of setting a class apart from another class.

Any skill is available to any class if you take a feat.

Any skill is available to any class if you take a feat.

Yeah but you waste a feat on it to be able to take the skill (and isn't that feat the multiclassing feat?)

Yeah I only read a little bit about multiclassing - it didn't immediately click with me. It seems you can only do two classes, from what I gather, and it then allows you access to feats of that class but it seems like you'll always be a bit behind someone who starts with that class (or maybe I read it wrong, like I said it didn't immediately make sense to me).

Also, the artwork is pretty shallow. Pretty colours, completely void of realism. Stuff drawn for kids.

Yeah, I really miss AD&D 2E with its photorealistic art drawn for the most mature of adults.

duckbunny.jpg

20795.jpg

So you prefer one art style over another, how its made isn't relevant. Artwork produced with a WACOM tablet isn't inferior to artwork produced with a pencil and paper. A cartoonish style doesn't automatically equal immature just as a realistic style doesn't automatically equal mature.

And that duckbunny is an unholy monstrosity.

When it comes to the rules system of DnD, its the game mechanics that I concetrate on. The fluff is just that. Fluff. I can make my own fluff easy enough. Game mechanics is a bit trickier.

I'll never forgive WotC for destroying the Forgotten Realms setting with 4E. I won't buy any 4E game even a BG3.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester