Scott Rouse hints 4E game

Avin

"Scott,

from AD&D to 3.5 there was always a CRPG for every edition. So, are you guys considering this not that the VTT was postponed (don't know if this is the right word)?"

"Yes we would very much like a host of 4e video games including CRPGs, Action/Adventure games, Turn Based Games etc (with or with out a VTT) and we are working with our partner to make that happen"

Is this why Obsidian is happy? ;)

http://www.enworld.org/forum/general-rpg-d...ses-d-d-13.html

"I'm a simple man, Hobbes."

"You?? Yesterday you wanted a nuclear powered car that could turn into a jet with laser-guided heat-seeking missiles!"

"I'm a simple man with complex tastes."

Obsidz was happy because they had just signed a contract to make a Fallout game.

But back up a bit, who is Scott Rouse? Is he an Atari person? And his statements in and of themselves don't really mean there's a game in development, even if that circumstance seems likely.

Scott Rouse is the Brand Manager for D&D at Wizards of the Coast.

A 4E game would have to have a DAMN good story and gameplay for me to even consider buying it. It automatically gains -5 points for using the 4E rules.

There are no doors in Jefferson that are "special game locked" doors. There are no characters in that game that you can kill that will result in the game ending prematurely.

Honestly, I don't understand all that D&D 4th hate/edition war.

I do agree that D&D rule system (in general) is not really suited for action CRPG, since it was created for tactical turn based combat with rpg flavour. So, action oriented games like NWN I or II, with simple and not challenging combat, are poor interpretation of D&D imho.

Having said that, every edition of D&D have his pros and cons, every edition appeals different tastes, and I really can't see why the 4th edition in itself should be the problem if we talk of CRPG.

Honestly, I think that the abstract design of the 4th edition have the potential to produce better video games, if we compare that system with the simulative approach of 3.5.

4E is all about l33t c0mb@t p0w0rz. I don't want a CRPG that's all about l33t c0mb@t p0w0rz. That is all.

There are no doors in Jefferson that are "special game locked" doors. There are no characters in that game that you can kill that will result in the game ending prematurely.

4E is all about l33t c0mb@t p0w0rz. I don't want a CRPG that's all about l33t c0mb@t p0w0rz. That is all.

More than 3.5? With all 3.5 combos and min / maxing? Combomen have sad days playing 4E. You could argue that art is bad, game is aimed for kids, it's about GOOOOOOOD vs evil, planes were dumb downed... but l33t c0mb@t p0w0rz exists in any D&D edition. D&D is l33t c0mb@t p0w0rz. All hail GURPS :)

"I'm a simple man, Hobbes."

"You?? Yesterday you wanted a nuclear powered car that could turn into a jet with laser-guided heat-seeking missiles!"

"I'm a simple man with complex tastes."

90% of the 4E PHB is taken up by l33t c0mb@t p0w0rz. This was not the case in previous editions.

Well, they're definitely going to make several 4E games. Some must already be in pre-production, somewhere, by someone, in some genre.

Oh Jimmy, you were so funny.

Don't let me down.

From habit he lifts his watch; it shows him its blank face.

Zero hour, Snowman thinks. Time to go.

I would be shocked if they made a turn based RPG. Not that it matters to me since I'm a writing, story, atmosphere guy, but a turn based game would actually be a nice change of pace.

I think most people consider RTwP to be turned though, so who knows what they mean.

I think he meant turn based as in something like openrpg or their own virtual game table program. He seemed to make the distinction between "CRPGs" and "turn-based games".

But yes I would love a turn based CRPG, 4e or no.

Oh Jimmy, you were so funny.

Don't let me down.

From habit he lifts his watch; it shows him its blank face.

Zero hour, Snowman thinks. Time to go.

Well, every edition of D&D was about powerplaying :) . 3/3.5 edition were about class exploits and min/maxing, while the 4th is about power combo and so on... but at the end it has allways been a rule system that focus on combat, loot and powers :). The roleplaying/storytelling elements of D&D have allways been something left to the immagination, tastes and work of each individual group.

Btw, here we are talking about CRPG, not PnP. Roleplay is a social experience and it's not possible to have a social experience in a single player game. CRPG are about loot/combat/power + story, atmosphere and (little) customization (not characterization). The only element that vaguely remind RP are choices that change the shape of the story, but for the structure of videogames those choices are really simple and dumb. Just smoke and mirrors.

So I really can't see how a 4th ed. CRPG should have less opportunity to have good story/atmosphere and customization than a 3rd ed. game.

Edited by meomao

I don't care for the rules and I hate what 4E did to the Forgotten Realms settings. No 4E 4 me.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

I don't care for the rules and I hate what 4E did to the Forgotten Realms settings. No 4E 4 me.

Well, what I can say: if it's about the setting I understand your position. Never been too much in the FR, I prefer other settings for D&D (as Dragonlance or the d20 Midnight wich would be an hell of a setting for a CRPG) so I could not make a proper judgement. I know the realms only because of the IE/NWN games honestly. But if you were in to the setting, I understand that you could be angry with the drastic changes.

I have to say that the 4e rules are the worst of the bunch of the various rules sets of Dungeons and Dragons, and I have been there since the original Red Box. No, I will not get a 4e computer DnD game. NWN2 is my last. I don't even bother playing DnD any more. The only 4th Edition I play is Shadowrun. A 4e Shadowrun game would be sweeter than a 4e DnD game, that is for sure.

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

I am primarily a PnP gamer (even more so than computer-gamer) and I really dislike what 4E has done to both the ruleset and the flavor of D&D. Although the marketing prowess of WotC is probably such that the edition will be successful, I refuse to personally support the further butchering of the ruleset and D&D flavor/settings with my money, so having seen what they have done from the previews and browsing in a store, I have not purchased the 4th edition. It would have to be a truly super-epic computer game with an amazing story, great characters, superb polish and so on to even make me consider making an exception for 4E computer games.

WotC has decided to go for a new, younger demographic with 4E, essentially sticking it to a great number of existing D&D players. That is a legitimate business decision on their part, but it does mean that many of us will no longer be giving them our money.

I have to say that the 4e rules are the worst of the bunch of the various rules sets of Dungeons and Dragons, and I have been there since the original Red Box. No, I will not get a 4e computer DnD game. NWN2 is my last. I don't even bother playing DnD any more. The only 4th Edition I play is Shadowrun. A 4e Shadowrun game would be sweeter than a 4e DnD game, that is for sure.

D&D wasn't the first PnP RPG that I have played - that honor would go to a local RPG from former Czechoslovakia (now it is a Czech RPG), but I did transition to D&D after some time. I started playing D&D somewhat later than you - probably about 1995 or so with 2E AD&D, though I did look back at 1E AD&D too (not really that different from 2E AD&D) and I even saw some things about what came before in D&D. I definitely have to agree that 4E is by far and away the worst incarnation of the rules and it also butchers the settings in the most egregious manner by a long stretch compared to any other edition. I will keep on purchasing 3.5E expansion packs for NWN2 (so long as they are good of course), but I too will most likely refuse to purchase any 4E CRPG.

If TB, please make it TB / RT-with-pause -optional. I wouldn't pay money for a TB-game. You get good D&D TB crpgs for free with a good Commodore 64 emulator. :lol:

J.

If I could push you off a mountain I would.