Game changing mods

How many of you use game changing mods? Like mods that change feat gain, damage, BABs, etc. If so, which ones? If not, why not?

I currently use a combination of:

ReBalance, Crazy ReBalance from Team Gizka

Super Enchanced, Super Enhanced Add On, Ultimate Sounds by Shen downloaded from filefront.

The Team Gizka ones make the BABs for all the sentinels and spinoffs lowered to 3/4BAB and Counselor are down to 1/2BAB(I think), starting characters get 4 feats, all skills are class skills.

The Shen one makes lightsaber damage 42-60 or something. And blasters do 40+ damage as well. And a certain crystal gives instant death to enemies, and a host of other stuff. It's nice from a lore prespective where blasters do kill on instant hit, but for the game it just make it weird. The very first opponent I see the

Mining droid on Peragus

killed me with 1 blaster shot instantly... for 3 times in a row.

It feels nice at first, but seems to 'ruin' the game

Edited by zephyrus17

I use tons of Mods, anywhere from new and more powerful lightsabers to armor and making T3 into a large spider droid. I also use KOTOR Save Game Editor, I can change my stats, and my NCPs stats as well. Mods are awesome.

KOTORSithImage2.jpg

Games that allow modding are, overall, IMO great. It lets you play the game the way you want to play it, not the way some particular dev(s) thought you should play it.

It's also great that companies like Bioware, Obsidian, Bethesda and others have seen fit to include toolkits (or to support community efforts to do so) - they can't lose; first, it increases user satisfaction with the game, extending it's shelf life (which means $) and (b) it makes those of the community more like lyto buy another of their games (which means $).

Yes, Virginia, it really is all about profit. But it doesn't mean we have to lose out: I still enjoy firing up NWN1, KotOR and KotOR2 and trying different mods out. Sometimes I get unlazy enough to mod myself (scripting is a particularly tasty morsel).

So yes, by all means, try the various mods out there and enjoy them. Hint: Save often, make backups. :)

And remember - if you don't like what a particular mod does, uninstall it (hence the "make backups" hint :) )

Games that allow modding are, overall, IMO great. It lets you play the game the way you want to play it, not the way some particular dev(s) thought you should play it.

It's also great that companies like Bioware, Obsidian, Bethesda and others have seen fit to include toolkits (or to support community efforts to do so) - they can't lose; first, it increases user satisfaction with the game, extending it's shelf life (which means $) and (b) it makes those of the community more like lyto buy another of their games (which means $).

Yes, Virginia, it really is all about profit. But it doesn't mean we have to lose out: I still enjoy firing up NWN1, KotOR and KotOR2 and trying different mods out. Sometimes I get unlazy enough to mod myself (scripting is a particularly tasty morsel).

So yes, by all means, try the various mods out there and enjoy them. Hint: Save often, make backups. :)

And remember - if you don't like what a particular mod does, uninstall it (hence the "make backups" hint :( )

Tell that to people like EA who would rather release console games than PC games

DAWUSS

Dawes ain't too bright. Hitting rock bottom is when you leave 2 tickets on the dash of your car, leave it unlocked hoping someone will steal them & when you come back, there are 4 tickets on your dashboard.

Are all the mods retroactive? Like if I install a mod that changes skill gain in between a playthrough, will it affect all the previous levels?

As a rule of thumb, it's best to start games from scratch when you install mods that alter anything beyond skins, sounds or items, otherwise there is a good chance that older saves will produce errors later on. Usually however, the readme file that comes with the mod will say if you need to start from scratch or not.

• 2 months later...

And remember - if you don't like what a particular mod does, uninstall it (hence the "make backups" hint :lol: )

Tell that to people like EA who would rather release console games than PC games

This is why I am POed at K2 on Xbox for having so much cut content that there is no (legal) way of restoring. This actually causes more crime, if you think about it! :banghead::p